Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revised Default Key-bindings

Default Re: Revised Default Key-bindings

Quote Originally Posted by Dracaena View Post
    Mouse look stuff has always confused me, I just know the middle mouse button (scroll wheel) is pure evil for a flying dragon and don't touch it! Will the changes proposed make me fear some other key now? (Somewhat off topic but could the default setting for flying/gliding when falling be set to on instead of off. Confuses the heck out of new players who fall like a rock when they are first trying to glide their hatchling.)
    You could always unbind the mouselook button (which is currently the middle mouse button/scrollwheel).

But I'm kinda curious... why is it so "Evil"? Also, you do know that on most mice you have to actually push on the scrollwheel to get it to "click"? Normal wheel up/down should not cause a middle click unless the button on your mouse is worn out or something.

In the new control scheme (which is optional for you), you have to hold down the left mouse button while not interacting with the UI to get the mouse-look thing to happen if I understand it right -- something you'd pretty much almost never do unless you were Trying to get that effect.

If it helps new players get the hang of controlling their characters a bit easier, I think changing the defaults is fine. And anyone who has been playing for a long time will know what keys should do what, ands can recreate the settings they use now if they had to do a reinstall, and did not have a prefs backup.

Players should get in the habit of making ocassional prefs backups, because alot more than keybidings can get lost if your prefs are lost or corrupted: Entire hotkey bar setups, across multiple characters, can get lost if the prefs are lost (such as the hardrive fails, and there's no backup). Those take alot longer to reconfigure than a few hotkeys would.

If it gives new players a better initial experience, change the defaults.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    ...anyone who has been playing for a long time will know what keys should do what, ands can recreate the settings they use now if they had to do a reinstall, and did not have a prefs backup.
    To me, that reads as "You've been a dedicated player, but we're not going to bother finding a way to accommodate you. Sorry, that's your problem.". That's a pretty insulting thing to say to long-term players.

Players should get in the habit of making ocassional prefs backups
    You bring up an interesting point that probably warrants an entirely separate thread. Backing up prefs is a good idea -- but may be outside the technical abilities of much of the player base. The backup and restore processes must be easier to manage.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    Backing up prefs is a good idea -- but may be outside the technical abilities of much of the player base. The backup and restore processes must be easier to manage.
    This; i know many that are even worse than i with 'techincal' stuff...and i'm not the best either.

A backup system could easily be coded by anybody. All you need is the know-how (or even Google it) and Notepad.

You'd just need a simple *.bat file that copies the .pref files and then another .bat file that copies them back.

Viola, done.

EDIT: Of course this is the most crude (but simple!) way that anybody could do it. I'm sure an actual coder that has the resources, could make and compile an actual program to do this.

But since we're talking about the simple act of copying files, that can be done with a bat file.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    If it helps new players get the hang of controlling their characters a bit easier, I think changing the defaults is fine. And anyone who has been playing for a long time will know what keys should do what, ands can recreate the settings they use now if they had to do a reinstall, and did not have a prefs backup...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    To me, that reads as "You've been a dedicated player, but we're not going to bother finding a way to accommodate you. Sorry, that's your problem.". That's a pretty insulting thing to say to long-term players...
    No, that's not what I meant.

What I meant was that older players will have more experience with how they keys are setup up and can re-create their settings easily. I am giving them credit for experience = knowledge. Too much credit you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    You could always unbind the mouselook button (which is currently the middle mouse button/scrollwheel).

But I'm kinda curious... why is it so "Evil"? Also, you do know that on most mice you have to actually push on the scrollwheel to get it to "click"? Normal wheel up/down should not cause a middle click unless the button on your mouse is worn out or something.

In the new control scheme (which is optional for you), you have to hold down the left mouse button while not interacting with the UI to get the mouse-look thing to happen if I understand it right -- something you'd pretty much almost never do unless you were Trying to get that effect.
    Bad thing about posting when half asleep, took me this long to even remember I did! The problem with the middle mouse wheel (and I mean clicking it, not using the scroll) is it would put my dragon into a permanent dive that took a relog to correct. Generally fatal if it happens when comp hunting on satyr islands, as there are no "safe" landing spots to relog in the battle field. But since we don't hunt there for comps anymore is old news. I still hunt satry islands now and then for old time's sake but no point otherwise. Comp hunting is just shooting fish in a barrel boring anymore but that is a subject for another thread.

But they are right, keyboard default settings are very different here from the more commonly available games. And yeah in other games I do hold down the side mouse buttons to pan camera where here I have camera on directional pad. Yes I do need to torment my better half to make more frequent backups for pref settings (total computor illiterate - you don't want me in the files, I break things just trying to update something). I was pretty much out of game when my desktop died and this confounded laptop had an utter shortage of keys, currently have an ergonomic keyboard hooked up to laptop with my old monitor and the laptop shoved over in the corner like my desktop was, haha.

If it makes the learning curve easier for the new players, go for it. Us oldsters will adapt, we always do. :)

I'm perfectly happy with the bindings I have currently, which is a mix of the older ones. However, I am in full support of istaria changing the bindings to come in-line with other MMOs.

In relation to this, I have an issue with key bindings in general. I would minimise my windowed game and proceed to do something else on the computer, but when I return to my game a lot of the keys I have pressed outside of the game seem to have been activated in-game too. More of an irritance than a bug, but I'd be grateful to know if there is a way to prevent it happening without going into full-screen mode, as I like to multi task!
    Bumbling Ancient and grumbling Satyr on Chaos- if Helians are supposed to be 'spellcasters', then why is Wintheria, the Gold Rage trainer, a Helian?
    "Let your post stand on its own merits [without the need for attention-seeking tactics such as colours or images]." -GW2 Forum Conduct

Thread Information