Thread: Multiple Instances

Default Multiple Instances

I'm in the process of making a copy of the Istaria folder to run a second instance of the game on the same PC. (Got an hour to go). I've done several searches of the entire forums as well as the support site and found nothing concerning this.

It just as simple as it sounds...copying the game into a new directory and running the launcher from said second directory?

Thank you,

Aaelefein

PS. Would be nice if this was posted as a sticky someplace for others who can (or might) be able to do this - more so as it is apparently an option from what I have found in the forums.
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

Default Re: Multiple Instances

It was that easy - only downside I see is needing to do multiple updates now.
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

I think, because it's not technically 'supported' there is little in the way of documentation on the subject. But as you have discovered, a simple copy&paste and vola, you're on your way to stable dual-logging. It's not required to be able to dual-log, but for those of us who do, we certainly recommend having a game folder for each instance.

The updates are often quite small, it's just that you will have to do a fullscan each time an update is patched through. When a large update does go live, you could just do the fullscan on one launcher and do the copy&paste thing again (depending on if it's quicker to fullscan or copy&paste). The only issue I can see with this, is that your pref folders are seperate for each instance. So if you change your hotkeys, that won't translate to the same character logged in via the other launcher (if that makes sense).

Good to hear you got it working
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

I have multiple directories for boxing. Although I use batch files to simplify the work for me on patch days and cleaning up prefs folder and caches, essentially we're doing the same thing. Copying an already existing directory, and running the exe in newly copied directory. Yes you will be required to patch each exe individually as they are in their own folder, as well as screenshots storing locally to each session, and prefs, and blah blah.

What I did to avoid that is personalize each installation for one character, and keep one as a "miscellaneous" installation for mules or characters that I don't actually play and do not require keybinds or UI layouts. Then, with the relevant shortcuts made, I would rename the shortcuts to the name of the characters. Provided you're not using TPA like InnerSpace, you will be stuck with Istaria as the title window unless you run another batch file to edit the process temporarily, though as often as the game crashes, you may find this tedious. Shouldn't be a problem however if you do not run more than two sessions at once.
    rip

Yes, copying the Istaria folder and pasting it, running the jlauncher.exe file from the second folder is the most stable and correct way.

Not all computers like this and subject to hiccups, but I've been dual logging from one single folder for quite a long time and have never had any issues.

You could also simply launch the game as normal. Once logged in, click the same thing (game shortcut) again. It will bring up the Launcher window again. Login again. It will probably show a popup warning about its already running another instance of the game, but just click OK. It will continue and let you select another character

Even though I have tons of space to create a 2nd directory (game folder), I choose not too. Additionally for the reason you mentioned, more patching...

Worth a try!
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Wanted to follow up and add that I was able to box five characters just fine out of one directory. Although it was nothing intense, I did not crash for the multiple hours I had these five particular sessions running.
    rip

Thread Information