Thread: Blight 384.98

Default Blight 384.98

Greetings Blight Players.

The current client on Blight is being tested. Please let us know about any issues.
    * FEATURE: Mouse Over Descriptions on hot keys
    * FIX: Resource Targeting Commands - Fix for SelectNearest and no other items around deselects
    * FIX: SelectNearestEnemy only selects nearest enemy. Other select nearest will cycle.
    * FIX: Adjustments to camera controls per thread requests (swap, etc.)
    * FEATURE: Right click on entity selects entity

With any update to Blight, it’s very important to let us know of any issues. If there’s anything you’d like to report:
    Please submit a support ticket at https://support.istaria.com under the department “Community Relations - Testing”.

As always, we appreciate you playing on Blight and hope that you find all the changes as exciting as well do.

Istaria Developers

Default Re: Blight 384.98

Are any improvements being made on the selection of distant objects vs closer ones? For example, the selection method for closer objects tends to be point or polygonal iirc vs. the distant being cubic? Having finer tune on where cursor placement dictates what will actually be selected? Selecting through a land object such as a mountain to select a mine, or a lair?

Bringing this up because with the new camera controls, there is a problem panning from a biped to a dragon, involuntarily clicking and thus selecting objects (more often the dragon itself). I haven't noticed a different between live or blight clients, but had thought this was something that was in the works. Was only able to test various races and dragon with setscale, as I don't have an ancient dragon on Blight.
    rip

The current client release (making its way to Live) has no changes to object selection - this release is focused mostly on the camera. I've already let the developers know about your request that the next release focus on the object selection and refining that method.

Quote Originally Posted by Yfelvik View Post
    * FEATURE: Right click on entity selects entity
    Apologies for my ignorance, but for anyone who's ever used a computer mouse with 2 buttons, isn't left-click the standard to select? Or am I simply not understanding this correctly? And does this mean that left-click is now the pop-up menu?

Should right-click become the standard to select something, then the swapping of the left/right mouse keys for the camera controls is no longer necessary, imho. I thought the main issue with the mouse/look controls, was that when trying to steer we were always selecting something. If the camera controls have been swapped, so that right click is now steer, we're back in the same situation that right-clicking will often select ourselves or anything in the immediate vicinity.
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

In testing this client on Blight, the left mouse click (correctly) selects entities but the right mouse click no longer gives an action select menu. For example it is not allowing deletion or scribing or use etc. of an inventory item. Also mouseover of hotkey does not give name Hotkey contents and ritht click of a hotkey does not give the menu for clear, modify etc. Hopefully this can be fixed without a restart.

Knossos
    Last edited by Knossos; June 12th, 2013 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knossos View Post
    In testing this client on Blight, the left mouse click (correctly) selects entities but the right mouse click no longer gives an action select menu. For example it is not allowing deletion or scribing or use etc. of an inventory item. Also mouseover of hotkey does not give name Hotkey contents and ritht click of a hotkey does not give the menu for clear, modify etc. Hopefully this can be fixed without a restart.

Knossos
    This problem existed before the dedicated mouse controls if you bound freelook hold to your right mouse button, you lost the context menu. Looks like all they did was add additional key binds.
    rip

Quote Originally Posted by Dracillion View Post
    This problem existed before the dedicated mouse controls if you bound freelook hold to your right mouse button, you lost the context menu. Looks like all they did was add additional key binds.
    Thank You, on Options window Mouse Tab I unchecked "Use Mouse Look/Right Button to Mouse Free Look" did undeed restore the context menus.

Knossos

I seem to be having a new issue with the camera controls with this client vs the client currently on live.

Once I press and hold the mouse button (whichever button is configured, that doesn't seem to matter) to steer the camera/character around, and move it far enough one direction or the other, it stops working once it hits the edge of the game's window. The cursor is invisible while steering, but I know if I move it far enough where it would go offscreen if I wasn't steering, that same amount seems to mark the end of the steering control... Think of it like this, say I have to move my mouse 5 inches across the mouse pad to hit the edge of the screen when starting at the middle when just moving the cursor around, not steering. Then I do the same motion over the same distance on the mousepad while the button is held down to steer, it stops steering once it would have hit the edge where I not steering. I have to release the mouse button, move the cursor back to the center, then press and hold again to continue turning in one direction.

Extremely annoying when trying to run a biped out of a lair, up the more than 360 degrees of turning you need to do to get out of a lair entrance.

The other game install running the client on live doesn't have this problem.

Whatever got changed.... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    I seem to be having a new issue with the camera controls with this client vs the client currently on live.

Once I press and hold the mouse button (whichever button is configured, that doesn't seem to matter) to steer the camera/character around, and move it far enough one direction or the other, it stops working once it hits the edge of the game's window. The cursor is invisible while steering, but I know if I move it far enough where it would go offscreen if I wasn't steering, that same amount seems to mark the end of the steering control... Think of it like this, say I have to move my mouse 5 inches across the mouse pad to hit the edge of the screen when starting at the middle when just moving the cursor around, not steering. Then I do the same motion over the same distance on the mousepad while the button is held down to steer, it stops steering once it would have hit the edge where I not steering. I have to release the mouse button, move the cursor back to the center, then press and hold again to continue turning in one direction.

Extremely annoying when trying to run a biped out of a lair, up the more than 360 degrees of turning you need to do to get out of a lair entrance.

The other game install running the client on live doesn't have this problem.

Whatever got changed.... bad.
    The cursor still moves although it's invisible, so you get the same mouseOver effects on hotkeys and it does pan off screen. Horrible setup when you've additional monitors on either side. The one difference I noticed with the original toggle and hold freelooks is that it kept the cursor directly middle in the screen. This is verified due to ability to click at objects midcenter of screen as well as the occasional flicker displaying the cursor. That feature of the original freelook method should extend to these newer mouse camera methods.

On a side note, if you wish to avoid the movement offscreen, you can do a hack job of: lower sensitivity on your mouse input device via OS, and increase the camera sensitivity in game -OR- you can simply move slower with existing settings if changing DPI isn't an option and it should not pan off screen as often. It seems to happen more frequently the faster you move.

Just what I've encountered.
    rip

I can't agree with that. Before the new patches I always had the free look placed onto my right mouse without any problems.

I agree with Knossos that you need dozens of clicks before eventually get any kind of menu.

I also would like to be able to deselect the options individually for either of the mouse buttons

...On a side note, if you wish to avoid the movement offscreen, you can do a hack job of: lower sensitivity on your mouse input device via OS, and increase the camera sensitivity in game -OR- you can simply move slower with existing settings if changing DPI isn't an option and it should not pan off screen as often. It seems to happen more frequently the faster you move...
    I just patched back to live, problem gone.

Dev's fix your blight client, it's broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaxes View Post
    I can't agree with that. Before the new patches I always had the free look placed onto my right mouse without any problems.
    This would apply only to hold, not toggle. Toggle seemed to have always worked fine, but with freelook hold, you can replicate this issue even now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaxes
    I also would like to be able to deselect the options individually for either of the mouse buttons
    You should have 4 bind settings in your options: mouse look (hold), mouse look (toggle), free look around character (hold) and free look around character (toggle). Also, there is the option "use mouse left/right buttons to mouse/free look" under camera tab. Of these choices, if you bind mouse look (hold) to your right mouse button, you will encounter the aforementioned error with the context menu.

Edit: This may very well extend to the revolving camera controls, though I never used them extensively so am unsure. The problem lies in when you wish to select something and open the context menu, with the right click (which is default for context menu) is bound to the [mouse look (hold)] it tends not to work. There is no differentiating a cursor over a UI element.
    Last edited by Dracillion; June 15th, 2013 at 08:11 AM.
    rip

Thread Information