Thread: Performance Comparison

Default Performance Comparison

We've received a report of a much older version of the Istaria client having much better performance and we're looking for some help in reproducing.

If you'd like to help out, below are the steps. Please note that some of the steps require copying of files, etc. - so if you're not comfortable with navigating your computer's folder structure, please don't do the tests. It's extremely important that all steps be followed so that the developers have an accurate understanding of what the results mean, as well as what is being tested.

1. Make sure your hardware report is up to date. This is so that the developers can understand if different combinations of hardware have an effect.
    https://support.istaria.com/index.ph...ode=view&id=13

2. Log in with the latest client and go to Options -> Video tab. The options below are disabled because they are the things that have changed in the last year of development.
    - set your graphics and texture quality to middle (normal)
    - set your view distance to about middle (50%)
    - disable object fading
    - disable shadows
    - disable clutter

3. Enable your Istaria FPS window so that you can confirm your version number, as well as get an average FPS report. Type into the chat window:
    /window fpswindow

4. Log out and log back in (make sure patching is disabled by clicking the Troubleshooting button in the launcher)

5. Move forward or backward a little bit (but don't strafe), take note of your coordinates by typing /printpos, then wait 2 minutes.

6. Write down your client version number, and average frame rate. If players ran around you while doing this test, make a note of how many ran by.

7. Log out

8. Download the old version of the client from https://virtrium.box.com/s/e2k85pjz63gsa5g2ll5y - this client is version 383.44 and you can place it in your Istaria install folder (usually c:\program files\istaria). Please note, you will need to delete your current istaria.exe and rename the downloaded file from istaria.exe-825 to istaria.exe

9. Repeat steps 5 to 8 above, then reply to this thread with the report information or submit a support ticket at https://support.istaria.com

Example Report:
    Client version: 385.4 - Average FPS 30.4 - Coordinates: 23000, 15000 - two players in area
    Client version: 383.44 - Average FPS 28.1 - Coordinates: same - three players in area

Thank you very much to any and all who do these test to provide more information. If you've got notes or ideas about this issue, or additional tests that provide more information, please include that information as well.

Thank you,

Istaria Development Team

Default Re: Performance Comparison

Tried to do your test and here's what I got.
    Client version: 385.4 - Average FPS 55.6 - Coordinates: 22144.27, 22621.97 - no players (this was in full screen mode 1680x1050 I believe)

Client 383.44 - (current FPS set mostly at 46.8) - Coordinates: 22144.43, 22622.11 - no players

When I changed to Client 383.44 screen changed to 1600x900 and the fps window stopped showing average fps, it just showed current fps.

I will try to redo in windows mode, my normal playing 1920x1080

Ok redid test in windowed mode. Desktop screen resolution was 1920x1080

Client Version 385.4 - Average FPS 56.1 - Coords 22144, 22622 - one player in area
    Client Version 383.44 - Average FPS 45.0 - Coords 22144, 22622 - one player in area

For client version 383.44 I had to estimate the average FPS as the window again only showed current FPS. it went from a low of 37 to high of 48. Staying more in the high 40s.

I have loadwindow turned off, I waited til I fully was in with chat channels showing who was logged in before attempting to move and starting each test. While logging in during 385.4 build my FPS maxed out at 60.0, during build 383.44 during login my current FPS was in 90s even reaching 100 at one time but dropped to the 40s when fully logged in.

Hope this helps. If need me to try anything else let me know.

Smaug

Don't know if it matters or not but I performed the test on Chaos, not blight.

Smaug

Client version: 385.4 - Average FPS 53.8 - Coordinates: 22127, 22487 - no players in area
    Client version: 383.44 - Average FPS 46.0 - Coordinates: same - no players in area

The client version 383.44 doesn't show average FPS, so I've estimated the value.
    Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

Thank you everyone for your testing results. Looks like current client is at least as fast as older client. I've compiled all this information into a table and sent to the devs. Thank you very much!

Thread Information