Thread: Names!

Default Names!

I've been wanting to change the name of one of my alts for a little while, and figured I should probably ask if what I wanted was even possible before buying the token.

Is it possible to make names with a ' in them? Any other limitations I should be aware of?

I've had some troubles with naming in character creation before, and so don't trust it enough to spend based on what it says, nor could I find a ticket category specific to my question. *prods forums*

Default Re: Names!

I would assume that if you can make a character with the desired name (say, on Blight), then you should be able to rename your alt to it. If I recall correctly, though, apostrophes (and most, if not all, other nonalphabetical symbols) are not allowed in names.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    I would assume that if you can make a character with the desired name (say, on Blight), then you should be able to rename your alt to it. If I recall correctly, though, apostrophes (and most, if not all, other nonalphabetical symbols) are not allowed in names.
    This isn't entirely true. People on Chaos have all sorts of symbols in their names. If it passes as a valid character, it'll go. Name enforcement is nonexistent so it's only you vs the filter. As far as I know the apostrophe, hyphen and tilde are valid.
    rip

I do not think that ' are allowed anymore. I recall a long time ago, you could do that in a name but somewhere along the way that stopped being possible. However, you could try it on a blight character and if it works, great! But if not, well then its no longer possible.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

Yeah, I remember the same thing as Arzel. A number of nonalphabetical characters used to be valid but were later made invalid. A good number of people still have characters with names that have those symbols, but trying to do that now will not get past the filter. I just went and actually checked in character creation; apostrophes, hyphens, and tildes are all no longer valid for character names.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    Yeah, I remember the same thing as Arzel. A number of nonalphabetical characters used to be valid but were later made invalid. A good number of people still have characters with names that have those symbols, but trying to do that now will not get past the filter. I just went and actually checked in character creation; apostrophes, hyphens, and tildes are all no longer valid for character names.
    Except when you use a character rename token, you rename your character via launcher and it is not bound to the same filtering system in game at creation.
    rip

Quote Originally Posted by Dracillion View Post
    Except when you use a character rename token, you rename your character via launcher and it is not bound to the same filtering system in game at creation.
    Well surely then someone out there can confirm this and prove it because they have done it in the last five years using a rename token? I'd feel awful if the OP spent the money for a renaming token only to find out that yes they can type an ' or a - in their name only to have the system go no. That is an awful lot of pocket change to ask someone to waste on a maybe.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

Thanks all for the replies

Thread Information