Thread: Missing map markers in just one section of the land

Default Missing map markers in just one section of the land

I do not use the mappack; I mark my own map. Every so often I notice that the markers I had created in a given region of my map just vanish. It does not seem to be an auto-delete after a certain amount of time on the items are put in the file, because sometimes it is newer markers that vanish (e.g., the Barrier Vale is one I had to remark; yesterday I noted that I have to redo the area around Sslanis). Why is this happening, and how do I protect against it?

Default Re: Missing map markers in just one section of the land

Very puzzling. I normally might have said something like that it might be your game crashed and the file didn't get written to correctly during the shutdown process. But I tested it and the file uimapmarkers.def is written to immediately after you create or delete a marker (not subject to error during crash). So sorry, my official answer is *shrug*. The only other possible scenario I could forsee a possible conflict is if you are dual logging on the same game folder. But even that seems unlikely, but possible. All I can suggest is make frequent backups of your Prefs\GameServer_CharacterName\uimapmarkers.def file. A quick and easy way is to type this into notepad:

Code:
    Copy uimapmarkers.def uimapmarkers.def.bak
    Save as "backup.bat" Yes add the quotation marks in the file name so it doesn't get saved as backup.bat.txt

Repeat and make another file:
    Code:
    Copy uimapmarkers.def.bak uimapmarkers.def
    Save as "restore.bat" Yes add the quotation marks in the file name so it doesn't get saved as restore.bat.txt

Put these two files in the same folder. You can create a shortcut and put it on desktop or wherever. One click to backup.bat will backup the file. Another click to restore.bat will restore the file whenever needed.

Until the reason is figured out you can save yourself some work of redoing the missing markers when it does happen

One last thing I was wondering about. Do you ever add/delete markers manually by editing the file in notepad? If so, if you miss one of the brackets {, everything afterwards will not show up in map. I've done that myself a few times.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Default Re: Missing map markers in just one section of the land

Thank you for the back up directions; I might try them out soon. I do not dual log so that's not an issue, nor do I ever add/delete the markers through notepad. I only edit my map in game. I'm actually wondering if the map markers removal has happened as part of maintenance, and if so, why would it happen for new content markers?

Thread Information