Thread: Gathering materials advice

Default Gathering materials advice

I am trying to level my Blacksmith and the rate which I gather the materials(Bronze Bars) is getting to be a pain,but I have 5 other crafting schools at well(Outfitter,Scholar,Miner,Weaponcrafter and Armourer),so firstly,which skill affects the rate which I gather the said materials,and is there any way I could improve this as seeing 1,2,1,1,1 with the occasional 3 or 4 is making this take longer than I'd like it to..

Default Re: Gathering materials advice

Metal Reaping Potions would help, gathering stone and metal materials are affected by the mining skill. Raising Miner would help too as this school gets 11 on mining skill - leveling miner and gatherer is a bit of a pain because those schools only gets exp with refining resources (smelting bars or crafting stone bricks).
    Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

Also don't forget to upgrade your tools as they can cap your skill level.
    Gimbold, Ancient dwarf on Chaos
    Mottle, Ancient dragon on Chaos

Ok thanks for that. Is there any way of telling how far I have to level it as I'm currently sitting at 104 mining at lv8 Miner and I'm been reading that having my salvaging skill out-level my other skills is not really desired,and as I get 8 salvaging per Mining level,it's worrying me.

Quote Originally Posted by Honeth View Post
    Ok thanks for that. Is there any way of telling how far I have to level it as I'm currently sitting at 104 mining at lv8 Miner and I'm been reading that having my salvaging skill out-level my other skills is not really desired,and as I get 8 salvaging per Mining level,it's worrying me.
    Firstly if you check the tool info it will tell you a bronze pickaxe cap is 250 for mining and quarrying as for the salvaging skill its not actually that big a deal as to really worry about it... as previously mentioned from miner you gett 11 mining and quarrying so 8 salvaging doesn't really matter.

The problem with salvaging is, if it becomes higher than the skill normally required to deconstruct something (usually the same skill required to create that something). For example, if you were leveling Blacksmith, it's quite likely you would be making a whole lot of tools and auto-deconstructing them. If you were making stone tools, the sculpting skill would be used to create and deconstruct those and you would get experience for the whole process. If your salvaging skill were higher than your sculpting skill and you were using the auto-deconstruct option, then you wouldn't get any experience for that part since Blacksmith does not get salvaging. If you do get into this situation (and it will happen eventually), just make sure to not auto-deconstruct and if you equip a training or bronze salvaging awl, it will cap your salvaging and thus allow you to manually deconstruct the tools and would thus get experience as it will use the higher skill, ie sculpting.

I hope that makes sense... and just be careful if you're manually deconstructing to not accidently deconstruct your real tools.

As mentioned, all tools except t5/6 will cap your skills at some point, training tools at 50, bronze at 250, silver/iron at 450 etc.
    Bronze (metal) uses the mining skill to gather the raw resources, while gems and stone use the quarrying skill. Buffs can help boost skills, e.g. Gift of Strength, and make sure to always have Gift of Alacrity on as it will speed up your gathering rate (I believe). Potions are fantastic! So yes, metal reaping potions if you're after the bronze. You should start to notice the numbers per swing start to rise when the skill gets over 100 for t1 resources. I would advise not moving onto t2 stuff until your mining and smelting skills are well over 200 (even 300 or 400 if you can get some nice teched gear). Keep in mind, cargo gear can take crafting techs, as can normal armor and jewelry and tools, though crystals can often give better bonuses to tools than techs will.

I'll stop rambling now and get back to work.
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Thread Information