Thread: Update delta 253 / Client 385.19

Default Update delta 253 / Client 385.19

It has not been often that I've posted something into the rant forum, but this time I feel I have to do so.

Delta 253 / Client 385.19 Release Candidate (Posting #15)

Do you guys really want to release that client version? I understand that you want to release the new additions you made to Istaria, the pets are nice and you want to celebrate the 10th anniversary. But now you going to rush out an update that will get a lot of users very upset, including me.

We have used colors on our armor and scale sets to be able to apart them, the client you want to sell us as a release client is gonna making this obsolete. Dear devs, please fix the KNOWN issues BEFORE you release that client, if it takes another week or two, who cares!

Istaria has got enough old bugs that needs to be fixed - players got used to them. Don't add a couple new bugs to it on rushing out this client version, you may destroy more then you will gain through the pets and the other stuff you added.
    Last edited by Terao; December 7th, 2013 at 09:56 AM.
    Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

Default Re: Update delta 253 / Client 385.19

+1
    As much as it all excites me, there are bugs that do need need to be fixed.
    "The developers are continuing to work on the name prefixes / suffixes, but this isn't considered a blocking issue."
    Whaaaat??
    This should be something that stops the update.
    The names are something that helps us distinguish between out stuff and (-with the 4 craft scalesets i keep in my pack, 4 more RoP scale sets in one pouch and to say nothing of biped and dragon combat-) it's vital the names stay so we can tell which is which!

+1 from me also..
    The devs maynot consider it game breaking BUT we players do. Pls devs listen to us. We dont need nor want MORE problems we put up with plenty already. Believe me we vets will forgive you a months delay to get this RIGHT.

I've made sure to pass along your comments to the devs - this issue is the only remaining item with the 385.19 client release. There's been no new bug reports. Status right now is that the devs have a "plan of action" and they are working to get this fixed and ready for testing shortly.

None seems to be interested in what we said, now you are rushing out client updates that are still broken and adding new bugs. Hurrah!
    Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

And, unfortunately, a whole host of new and major issues have popped up...sheer coincidence, no doubt, that they happened *after* the update. Major quest-lines being broken is bad enough, but, especially for us who are going through all of these for the very first time, RoP and ARoP being broken could well be game-killers. I'm sure the Devs understand this and are doing their best, but, now, with the holidays upon us, it could well be next month before there's a fix, and this is *hugely* frustrating....especially without any sort of "status report," even a general statement.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and extra-tasty dipped in ketchup.

This is why I stopped playing atm until the issues are fixed, it's no fun playing for me. Dear Devs, hear the voices of those that are playing since a very long time. Go find something to motivate players to test on Blight, an emblem or something, for those tested 1 hour, 10 hours, 100 hours... It's sometimes the little things that make us smile and give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Terao View Post
    Go find something to motivate players to test on Blight, an emblem or something, for those tested 1 hour, 10 hours, 100 hours... It's sometimes the little things that make us smile and give it a go.
    I sugessted that long ago, Ter. And did it again.

I agree with you-miss you , say thanks to you for all the wiki work you did. And map for sure.
    Merry Christmas to you and Mrs. Gnome.
    If there wasent Lup who needs help with trophies- I would take a break too.
    See you in Istaria, friend.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Terao View Post
    Go find something to motivate players to test on Blight, an emblem or something, for those tested 1 hour, 10 hours, 100 hours... It's sometimes the little things that make us smile and give it a go.
    It would be useful to have more substance behind a suggestion like that for it to work as a suggestion. How exactly, for example, do you quantify an hour of testing? Just being on the server? What's to separate people who actually test and those who just sit on the server? It'll become no more significant than /played, putting you back at the same problem. Maybe a submission system that allows players to state how much time they tested for? Again, unless the devs spent time trying to verify these claims, the emblems wouldn't really mean anything.

Counting number of bugs reported would likely work better, but would require a system be written for it (the above suggestion would also require some sort of system but potentially not as significant a system). Which any sort of new system would require quite a lot of development time let alone it would require that people test the system that is meant to encourage people to test before they have a working system that encourages them to test :P.

Without a well thought out proposal that gets around issues of significance, management, potential implementation, etc. you're essentially leaving it up to the devs to figure your suggestion out from scratch, which given the size of Virtrium, would effectively mean they'd be spending time on that causing a notable delay in bug fixes and features. The latter of which they'll get flack for instead. Damned if they do, damned if they don't really.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Azath View Post
    +1
    As much as it all excites me, there are bugs that do need need to be fixed.
    "The developers are continuing to work on the name prefixes / suffixes, but this isn't considered a blocking issue."
    Whaaaat??
    This should be something that stops the update.
    The names are something that helps us distinguish between out stuff and (-with the 4 craft scalesets i keep in my pack, 4 more RoP scale sets in one pouch and to say nothing of biped and dragon combat-) it's vital the names stay so we can tell which is which!
    I'm sorry to get involved, but I think I can help you follow a Dev's line of thought on this. (Note: I'm not a dev. Just speculation that seemed most logical.) Is it really impossible to spend an extra thirty seconds to a minute holding your mouse over the scale and reading what it has to say? Is it really that hard? Yes, names make it easier and I would like to see it fixed, but this is by no means the end of the world of Istaria! :O *gasp* It isn't game breaking. It doesn't stop you from doing anything at all. All it does is make you pay attention a little more. Is it really worth stopping an update for?

My opinion - yes, opinion; feel free to disagree - is that no, it isn't worth shutting down a whole update for. The devs work hard to keep Istaria up and running. Why start nit-picking at things that really are small problems when put into perspective?

Sorry if anyone gets offended by this. It is not intended that way. It is simply my thoughts on the names.

And remember: Just because the devs don't say anything doesn't mean that they don't listen/care.

RoP and ARoP being broken, however....
    Last edited by Myrdiatoken; January 13th, 2014 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Had more to say.

Akrion,
    though I know your intentions are good, and I respect that-
    but a post like this one make lots of players silent till the end of days
    (not Terao- but others)
    I am not a programmer- and my English is not good enough to describe bugs in professional manner.
    Nor can I make suggestionsn like you describe- being only a long term player-not a pro.

Ter e.g. did enough for the game recently. Spending private time not playing- but updating map and wiki.
    Can we really ask for more?

So: I disagree with what you`ve said.
    Any input is good input and much appreciated.
    And everyone feel free to add ideas and how-to`s to someone`s suggestions.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Your concept of "Any input is good input and much appreciated" only holds true when that input doesn't pit a community against the developers / themselves, which most suggestions (especially ones under the pretense of "All the devs need to do is") that generate interest from the community tend to do. I'm pretty sure the devs don't very much appreciate being considered lazy, uncaring, etc. because a suggestion is a lot more difficult than people realize.

My point was that if you don't go through all the effort of creating a working proposal for a suggestion, you're pushing that effort onto the devs while also generating support from the community. You ultimately put the devs in a position that's between a rock and a hard place. Going through the effort yourself will make your suggestion much more appealing to the devs, and that much more likely it gets implemented. If you're fine with your suggestion potentially never happening, then don't worry about it, but people are rarely ever fine with that.

Also you don't need to be a programmer to ask yourself about your suggestion. "How do you quantify time spent testing?" is not a question that requires you to be a programmer in any way, it just requires you to not take what you're suggesting for granted.
    Last edited by Akrion; January 14th, 2014 at 10:36 PM.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Thread Information