Thread: Inherited Skills?

Default Inherited Skills?

So I was reading somewhere (go figure I can't find it now) that we've got passive/master-able and something called inherited skills. From what I understood, inherited skills are the skills that come with the class from lower levels that you "inherit" when joining. For example (if I'm right) If I were to become say a spearman, I'd "gain" all of the skills from levels 1-20 in the spearman class, even though I didn't have to level up those 19 levels. Right?

Now, assuming I have that right, what would happen if the base class was deleted? So if I were a spearman and I deleted the 20 in warrior, would the levels in spearman still have the 19 "inherited" level skills? Does that make sense?

Again, this is assuming I even know what I'm talking about, which I may not :P
    -Q

Default Re: Inherited Skills?

Let's say you have a level 20 warrior school, which you're currently in, and a lv20 shaman school. Any ability that you gain at level 10 shaman that is labeled 'Masterable', you would be able to use no matter which school you were in -as long as you didn't delete the shaman school (note - this is an example. Shaman starts at lv20, etcetc.)

You start at lv20 spearman because it's a prestige school - they all ( I think ) start at level 20.

Soo, recap. To use an ability labeled 'masterable', you have to have the school it comes from twice the level you get the skill at to use it in any school. If you delete the school that you get the mastered ability from, you lose the mastered skill.

I get master-able skills, but really what I was wondering about were the skills that are listed in prestige classes from 1-19. For example Shaman is listed as "gaining" skills from 1-19, even though the player starts at 20th level. However, in the case of Shaman some of their abilities are gained at levels lower than 20. For example Decay I is gained at 18th level, a level that the player never actually attains.

So, what's up with those skills in prestige classes? Does the character have them or are they just filler or something? I really don't know what to think when I look at the prestige charts and see the levels 1-19.

Thanks!
    -Q

I don't quite understand what you're trying to find out. Those skills are just...there. Like most other skills, you'll gain new ones/upgrades to ones you already have as you level.

I'm wondering if those skills are dependent on base levels gained in whatever class opened the prestige to the character. For example: If I were to get 20 levels in warrior and then 1 level in Spearman and then delete my levels in warrior, would I still have the skills listed 1-19 in Spearman?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm curious: why would you want to delete the prerequisite class for a prestige school in the first place? If you switch to another school, I believe you'd have to regain the prerequisite levels you deleted to rejoin spearman.
    Chaos: Xingolos PlagueWind (31 Hatchling: 23)---Cilok Magmaborn (retired Lunus Ancient: 100/100/60)---Turacegos Blizzardwing (20 Hatchling: 19)---Bilkur Tinkerton (Gnome adjusting to life on Spirit Isle)

Somebody once told me somewhere that the higher your rating, the harder it is to level and grind XP. I wa exploring the idea of getting a prestige class to a nice point and deleting the contributing class to lower the rating. However, I could be misunderstanding how rating and XP works.

Well, the point of leveling other classes is to use their masterable skills. So deleting schools would in effect remove all masterable skills from those classes, defeating the purpose of leveling other classes (and, the way rating works, an extra level 20 inactive class doesn't really add that much to your rating, maybe 0.5 rating level at the most). Of course, I may not be completely on the ball either, but that is what I figured.
    Chaos: Xingolos PlagueWind (31 Hatchling: 23)---Cilok Magmaborn (retired Lunus Ancient: 100/100/60)---Turacegos Blizzardwing (20 Hatchling: 19)---Bilkur Tinkerton (Gnome adjusting to life on Spirit Isle)

It would seem some people have misunderstood the difference between skills and abilities. Albeit, the mention of masterable would have caused that.

I also think perhaps the OP is confused on the way these 'inherited' skills work. I too would be interested to know where you read that? I'm pretty sure that's wrong.

For example, if you were to pick up a Monk disciple school, let's say Spirit Disciple, you do not get the first 20 levels of skills, you only keep those which you already have. So you don't all of a sudden have 200 spirit, you would only have 10, or maybe even none. If you check your one hand pierce at level 20 spearman, then you should only have the 200 from warrior (maybe plus 11 from the 'first' level of spearman). I'm pretty sure you don't all of a sudden jump to 220 (20*11).

Based on my understanding, I would certainly not drop pre-req schools as you may loose skills, and very likely some abilities. As others have pointed out, it's also very possible that if you changed schools you would not be able to switch back if you longer meet the requirements. Most schools only have skill and level requirements, but with the requirements to join the hybrid schools (druid, monk and spiritist), I would absolutely not drop cleric/warrior/mage.

Also as mentioned, low level schools will add very little to your rating, so don't be too concerned.

Unfortunately, no one really knows the answer because no one is game to try :P
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Thanks Hallucin, you answered my question exactly.

Thread Information