View Poll Results: Dragon possibilities

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • New schools for new characters, leaving older characters untouched

0 0%
  • New schools for new characters, but older characters can transfer to the new system

17 42.50%
  • Change existing school and characters to fit the new system

0 0%
  • Do nothing, leave the system as is with no changes

4 10.00%
  • Add on top of existing Dragons without altering anything about the current system or content

19 47.50%

Thread: What to do with dragons?

Question What to do with dragons?

There has been a very interesting Talk to the Team discussion happening on these forums pertaining to the future of dragons. Amon has been keen to encourage ideas from the player base and the discussion has led to Amon presenting 5 possibilities for the future of dragons. It's well worth reading through the whole topic to understand the limitations Amon cites with the dragon school and what he would like to do to overcome those issues. The topic is available at http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...Dragon-Schools.

Amon has outlined 5 possibilities for the future of dragons and I thought it would be interesting to see how the players who participate on these forums feel about these options. Here is a quick snippet from the topic mentioned that defines the potential routes that can be taken with regards to the dragon race:

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    So far it seems like there are four viable possibilities. 1) New schools for new characters, leaving older characters untouched. 2) New schools for new characters, but providing a mechanism for older characters to transfer to the new system. 3) Change existing school and characters to fit the new system. 4) Do nothing, leave the system as is with no changes.

The fifth possibility, add on top of existing Dragons without altering anything about the current system or content, is in my opinion completely unworkable.
    I'm adding these 5 possibilities as poll choices, and I encourage you to vote with your preference Feel free to reply with any possibilities you feel have been overlooked, but if you have suggestions for the dragon school it is probably best to keep those posts to the Talk to the Team topic linked above

Default Re: What to do with dragons?

pls folks- vote here-
    its important to give Amon an impression which way we prefer.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

however 13 voters do not looks like "demanding crowd"..hmm, where all this people, who "whant changes"?
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16594&dateline=140663  6576
    Greedy dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Krinharth View Post
    however 13 voters do not looks like "demanding crowd"..hmm, where all this people, who "whant changes"?
    I believe that the forums may be read by as few as half the Istaria player base and thus there are no votes from those players for this poll.

Knossos

Then this vote - meanless, because of not represintative sample.
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16594&dateline=140663  6576
    Greedy dragon

I just happened to see this thread. Needs to be talked about in game so people come and vote.
    Cixi
    Gnome Extraordinaire
    FREE RACHIVAL NOW!!!
    Join the GLF! *Gnome Liberation Front

There's a piece of information missing: Why do you prefer the option you voted for?

The real insight comes from examining the motives behind the selection, rather than the quantity of votes. After all, we're talking about the future of the game. A very well-reasoned vote shouldn't carry the same weight as "I voted for the option with the bar that matched my favorite color".

* That's not to imply that the result of this poll dictates the action the developers take going forward.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    There's a piece of information missing: Why do you prefer the option you voted for?

The real insight comes from examining the motives behind the selection, rather than the quantity of votes. After all, we're talking about the future of the game. A very well-reasoned vote shouldn't carry the same weight as "I voted for the option with the bar that matched my favorite color".

* That's not to imply that the result of this poll dictates the action the developers take going forward.
    Discussing peoples' opinions is one of the advantages of starting a poll, it means we can explain rationale and since my own rationale for my decision has been lost in other topics I'll restate it here and get the ball rolling

First up, dragons are very popular as an alternative style of game within Horizons. The levelling is different, the ability gains and character progression are different, the highly-sought-after quested content is there in abundance regularly throughout character advancement, and of course dragons can fly. We have a population split on Chaos that is roughly 2/3rds dragon players, though that goes down to 50/50 split on rare occasions, so dragons in their current format are highly popular. We rarely hear dragons complaining unless they're trying to do their RoP long before their character is appropriately suited to do so, which begs the question - why change a winning format?

Secondly, developer time. I definitely want to see more content introduced, but I don't want to see developers tied up making changes to existing schools that for all intents and purposes work well as-is. I'd rather see developers focusing on T3/T4 revamps and more quested content for all players, not just dragons. Having said that, if they're going to work on dragons then most definitely build on top of what is already a fun and compelling experience, don't mess with the existing fundamentals*.

Third would be that I don't want to see dragons lose one of their major appeals - all the quests. Believe it or not this is one of the huge attractions of playing a dragon - lore overload as well as the usual benefits of keeping players engaged with quest content. When Amon originally posted his suggestion of replacing the existing school with new schools where abilities were automatically assigned during levelling instead of quested for separately I found myself questioning why all the existing quests should be made obsolete in that way and couldn't come up with an answer. Neither could Amon when others asked him about this in the original topic.

Hopefully these 3 basic reasons I have put forward explain my decision to vote for the option to add on top of existing dragons.

* Inevitably even the most well-thought out concept can have unexpected effects on existing behaviour. There may well be the need to make minor modifications in order to reach a vision, not even I am autistic enough to claim that building on top of the existing school avoids the need to make any changes whatsoever, but as an Aspie I do my best to avoid the black or white view of potential options and instead try to copy neural typical peoples' ability of seeing some shades of grey in between.

Deffinately worth a shot to try. at least on Blight to test it out. I`ll certainly create a new hatchie, and try it out.
    may take me a bit to level to 100, but worth a shot to try

It is much more fun to level a dragon. One reason is the ability quests.
    If the dragons are considered too strong - the mobs and challenges are too weak.

Flameus Nimrod: 100/100/100/100 Lupussan Nimrod: Adventure Rating 278 - Crafting Rating 234 GMC

Quote Originally Posted by Flameus View Post
    It is much more fun to level a dragon. One reason is the ability quests.
    If the dragons are considered too strong - the mobs and challenges are too weak.
    A while ago, I tried an experiment. I played a Hatchling Dragon and Dryad Mage more or less at the same time up to level 30 or so.

The dragon could consistently beat any foe 2 levels above it, and could also take on tougher mobs with all cooldowns being used. Equipment was easy to come by, with just a single school to level for everything available. Advancing was also much faster, with regular XP infusions due to ability quests and frequent jumps in power due to said quests.

The Dryad could barely win a fight against a mob at her own level even when blowing all cooldowns. Due to needing two crafting classes (That share almost no tools or skills), it took much longer to be able to produce her own gear and I eventually just had Ssilmath make them. There were a decent number of quests, but you had to be overleveled to have any chance of completing them. Skulks in particular walked all over Reinforce despite being 3 or 4 levels under her, and she had teched spells. My Dragon could fight them on even terms.

Even at higher levels, effort put in and enjoyment of the leveling process is entirely different between the two. I wouldn't want dragons to have a similar system to bipeds, that process is long, slow and grindy. It certainly isn't going to attract new players or bring old players back. And focusing more attention on Dragons isn't going to bring back biped players.

So what's the point of this rambling? Dragons are fun the way they are. You may want to introduce new classes that can be chosen at a mid range level, or at Ancient if that suits better. Letting them levlel up these new classes (Keeping masterable abilities low) and then being able to switch between the classes would be awesome. But keep the ability quests, keep the mechanics, it works well. Then make it fun for everybody else too.
    Ssilmath Torshak, Paladin of the Lost, Shaman of the Damned, Master Armorsmith

My other "crack would be cheaper" hobby
    http://ssilmath.deviantart.com/

I completely agree with ssilmath... Personally I would like to see less focus on levels and more focus on quests for abilities and if there is a concern about OPing have the abilities share timers or as previously suggested have SP (skillpoints) that must be spent to actually have quested abilities active.
    Gwain Drago - Mystic Paladin
    Arzel - Knight of creation/Battlemage
    Aurakvoar - Ancient Lunus

Thread Information