Thread: Clay Scoop's Preparing skill

Default Clay Scoop's Preparing skill

I'm not sure if this is the whole list, but the food resources I do know that needs a Clay Scoop to forage are below.
    Clay scoops gives and limit skills for Earthencraft, Quarry and Preparing.

I'm wondering if the Preparing skill is a mistake and should be Foraging, instead, on this tool.
    Preparing skill is almost only used when standing near a machine, like a Cooking Table.
    Other tools for the confectioner, like Harvesting Knife is Foraging. It seems to me that gathering resources would be Foraging skill only or at the very least Gathering.

What I'm getting at, is since Clay Scoop does Earthencraft, Quarrying and Preparing, am I actually getting a bonus while foraging these resources, when I tech it this way too? Traditionally, you would tech the tools with the same skills that the tool would limit. Since they use them.

If it's correct then fine, but if the tool is mislabled, thats fooling everyone to teching it with Preparing instead of Foraging. Can anyone confirm that foraging these resources actually uses the Preparing skill to Forage, and not the Foraging skill?

Lettuce
    Carrots
    Onions
    Potatoes

Things like Wheat and corn use the Harvesting knife, which uses Foraging, that makes sense. But preparing skill does not. The preparing skill would be used, for example to turn Onions into Onion Powder (while using a cooking knife - Preparing and Cooking for this tool).

The only thing that really made me thing about this, was out of all the simple food resources to gather, these (foraged with Clay Scoop) seems to be pretty slow compared to others (that use Harvesting knife, that I have teched with Foraging). Even the bucket, has Foraging Skill. It does also have preparing, thats fine, because I believe the bucket is used sometimes near a cooking table (ie Beef Stock). As far as I know, Preparing skill is only used while standing by a machine, not gathering the raw resources...

If those veggies are truly set to use Preparing skill to gather, then seems like the Organic Reaping potion (+Foraging) is immune to those particular veggies. Also would be pointless to limit the Preparing skill, with this tool (T4 and below) as well.
    Last edited by Cegaiel; September 24th, 2014 at 09:19 AM.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Default Re: Clay Scoop's Preparing skill

The foraging knife for gathering organics is based off of the skill foraging; however the clay scoop uses earthencraft. If you want to increase your clay gathering abilities increase your earthencraft. Not sure if that is what you were getting at here. Gathering clay is the only skill I know of that uses Earthencraft for the gathering skill.

So there are actually Six: Quarrying, Mining, Logging, Foraging, Essence Harvesting and Earthencraft.

As far as gathering Lettuce, Carrots, Onions or Potatoes that uses the Foraging Knife and the correct tech would be Foraging.

Ok, here is what I mean. Here is a screenshot when you create a Obi Clay Scoop. I didn't post the Mithril, so you can also see how it limits certain skills too: Quarrying, Earthencraft and Preparing. When you make the actual tool, it also says the same info.

What I'm getting at is why is there Preparing skill on the clay scoop? And no, those veggies I listed DO use Clay scoop, not Harvesting Knife. Since the clay scoop limits Preparing skill, I was "tricked" into thinking I'd be better off putting Preparing tech on it, since the tools normally limits all the skills the tool can use. In actuality, I should have put Foraging on it. The preparing skill (as far as I can tell is pointless). I think it is a mistake and they should have replaced Preparing with Foraging on the scoop.

So Clay Scoop, should limit Earthencraft while digging Clay.
    It should limit Quarrying when you use the scoop (on whatever resource uses Quarrying, that I'm not sure about)
    It should also limit Preparing skill when you use it on Organics. But thats the wrong skill. It shouldn't be Preparing, it should be Foraging.

This also shows the scoop is needed for those veggies (was too lazy to add carrots in the screenshot).

You are correct, it should be Foraging not Preparing. Those veggies do use the Clay Scoop for gathering, but they also require Foraging to gather (Preparing to process). I'll switch it.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Great, thanks for the reply. I did wind up making another Clay Scoop last night, with Foraging tech instead of Preparing. I can already see a little difference in the numbers while digging

Thread Information