Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Character Redesign Token

Default Character Redesign Token

A moderately expensive in-game item allowing you one redesign of a single character?

This would allow you to change their gender and appearance, but not their race. With characters taking as long to build up as they do, it's sometimes irritating to spot problems with your design later on - it's not like you can just reroll. It would also make a nice money sink.

Apologies if this has been suggested before. I did check, but if it has been suggested, it's become somewhat buried in the forums somewhere.

Default Re: Character Redesign Token

I can't wait to see Velea's response to this.

Yes yes yes yes yes! Another shot at the creation screen with an existing character!
    rip

This has definately been suggested before, I've seen it every now and then, and it definately was brought up way back when Solitaire was working on some possible new dragon options (which if I recall correctly sadly had to be cancelled/put on hold)

However, I fully support this idea if it is possible with the current engine and what not! how many characters I havent had that I eventually didn't like...ofcourse this mostly happened to my dragons, bipeds might have some options...but with all that armor...

Actually, I'd like to suggest more biped options! scars, tattoos, you name it! give bipeds more flair!

This had been suggested before, But it is a good idea. In fact, race change as an option would be welcomed (paid subs only).

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    This had been suggested before, But it is a good idea. In fact, race change as an option would be welcomed (paid subs only).
    and then you're a level 100 dwarf with breath of lightning? *blinks*
    Research Assistant Pharaxes Sphaerideion (started playing 2007-09-08, ascended 2008-06-15)
    Dragon Adventurer: 100 (2009-01-05) Dragon Crafter: 100 (prior 2008-06-04)
    Dragon Crystalshaper: 100 (2013-12-21) Dragon Lairshaper: 100 (2013-09-28)

there should be some restrictions on how and what you chane to. dragon to biped is a no go also bipd to dragon is a no go.
    And i think its a good idea if it cost like 10bucks to get a character change
    Abbie: 100 Sorcerer, 100 Wizard, 100 Conjurer, 100 Chaos Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    Oh em gee. After all the work!

I don't know how many times I was told no to change human to dwarf. Le sigh.
    rip

as much as I reconsider the problem is the following:

you play for free as a human and when you reach level 100 after a year, you pay the sub and token and BAM you're a level 100 dwarf and you paid absolutely nothing for leveling it up.
    Research Assistant Pharaxes Sphaerideion (started playing 2007-09-08, ascended 2008-06-15)
    Dragon Adventurer: 100 (2009-01-05) Dragon Crafter: 100 (prior 2008-06-04)
    Dragon Crystalshaper: 100 (2013-12-21) Dragon Lairshaper: 100 (2013-09-28)

The advantage of the basic sub can be more character slots, consignment, etc. The plot sub is obvious.

By paying, you would lose the free status and require to subscribe from then on... if it's anything like the current setup now.

Either way you've still a playing member, and paying if they do end up anything other than human.
    rip

No idea on the political side, but from the tech side, swapping races is definitely a no-go.

Every race has a template that describes the properties of the race, such as base stats, models, and abilities. Every character's record has a template ID along with its race. When the template ID and race don't correspond, weird stuff happens. As an example, a hatchling character by race, but with the template ID of an adult, will fail to transform into an adult upon completing RoP.

Then there's the issue of inherent racial abilities. Those get added to a character upon creation and/or upon passing certain milestones. There's currently no clean way to swap them in and out, nor ensure that the correct set is applied to a character given its state of progression.

Appearance (and -maybe- gender) on the other hand, is pretty safe to change around.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

It depends which server board I think is which.

I think the biggest issue presented by this would be the coding to allow someone to change their character. There'd have to be some sort of button on the launcher or something that lets you re-open your character in the editor. If it's a dragon that's adult or ancient their head would be stuck in the roof of the creation window, unless you were looking at them on a blank slate of some sort. Name changes and moving shards is done behind scenes by the devs physically changing it for you as far as I know. Not sure what would be done to make a character editable again.

I hope that all made sense. ^^;

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    I think the biggest issue presented by this would be the coding to allow someone to change their character. There'd have to be some sort of button on the launcher or something that lets you re-open your character in the editor. If it's a dragon that's adult or ancient their head would be stuck in the roof of the creation window, unless you were looking at them on a blank slate of some sort. Name changes and moving shards is done behind scenes by the devs physically changing it for you as far as I know. Not sure what would be done to make a character editable again.

I hope that all made sense. ^^;
    hmmm, perhaps for adults/ancients some form of automated setscale can be done so they'll fit in the character creation area again? or heck (and I guess this would be harder to do), perhaps even a new kind of area specificly for character redesigning.

Wouldn't necessarily have to be within that old beginning island compound. Could just be on the spot with the controls present.
    rip

I support this idea whole-heartedly. I cannot tell you how annoying it is to go back to a dragon I made years ago and realize that instead of white with green stripes, I accidentally made her greyish with green stripes! It drives me nuts and I want nothing more than to take her back into the character creator and just fiddle with her colors to get them perfect. From a technical standpoint, I really don't see how it couldn't be implemented. (As for those that suggest race changes, that also just doesn't work. For obvious reasons.)

I also support this idea. I've lost count of how many times I deleted a high levelled character and remade it just because I didn't like the head/texture/colours. A barber shop or something could work easily besides a token, but maybe that would be a little difficult to implement. Or maybe a npc that opens the character edit screen when trading the token. Of course you couldn't change the race of the character. Just your own.

Hopefully something like this will be added in the future.

Four years of playing and ongoing.

What a great idea! It's just like a little plastic surgury. A change of hair style, gender? LOL hey it's all good. It would definatly have to stay within the race though as they are all so different with different benis. Yes, it wouldn't be that hard to do and would be another cash sink for the game. I see this as a win win situation for both players and game developers. It's just good business, small input of time and effort and get a nice return on your investment!

Something like this would be great. I have a few characters that I would like to change.

My old gnome from shadow looks like a blazed up Santa. I need a change!
    rip

If they could do this as only an appearance change, not a race change, I think a lot of people would make sure of it. Pretty sure that in the past, something like this was being considered.

The race change, since it requires tinkering directly by dev's could be more expensive. And could be disallowed for free human characters. Surely dev's could come up with a price that makes it worthwhile for them to go to the effort. I know someone who has a half-giant who would rather be any other race since the half-giant racial isn't very useful. It's a high rating too, and you can't blame them for not wanting to redo 278 adventure levels and 18 whatever craft schools again.

*make use of it

Thread Information