Thread: PSA: where to host your mods

Exclamation PSA: where to host your mods

This might be the wrong forum to post this thread in, technically, but this is exactly where people need to see it.

Browsing mods I see a lot of people have used inconvenient and even virus-giving websites to host their mod files.
    There are better options nowadays. Safe, convenient, and free. Furthermore, using a proper reliable cloud storage service means no dead links (something that even hosting your files on your own server, if you have one, cannot guarantee).

(Note to moderators: None of these are referral links. I gain nothing from this post. I just want Istaria players to be safer and no longer encounter so many problems hosting and downloading mods.)

Dropbox
    Two ways to get a link to your file that you can post on the forum:
    1. Go to https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public after you're all signed up, upload your file there, then click "Copy public link..." near the top of the screen.
    2. If you want to store your file in a different folder in your Dropbox, there's no "Copy public link" thing, instead you click on the "Share" button on the right side of the screen when you hover over your file inside the folder you uploaded it to.

Google Drive
    Upload your file, click on it, click the little button near the top of the screen with the person icon and the plus icon on it, then click "Get shareable link" in the upper-right corner of the box that comes up.

Amazon Cloud Drive
    (You don't need Amazon Prime to use this service for free, even though the current homepage might appear to suggest that you do.)
    Upload your file, click on it, click "Share" at the bottom of the screen, click the "Copy Link" button in the box that comes up.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Default Re: PSA: where to host your mods

Update:
    Amazon Cloud Drive is no longer free. Existing files remain where they are, but enabling new uploads requires signing up for a free trial of a paid plan.
    RIP Amazon Cloud Drive. :P
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

What of Filedropper? It seems to be highly rated among file hosting services.

Vamalchior

I use MediaFire, any idea about it. I have used it for awhile now, its free and I have had no issues. https://www.mediafire.com
    Dacurly Dac : Phoenix Fellowship Guild : Chaos Server
    http://phoenixfellowship.clanz.co/

------------------
    Istaria Lexica | Istaria Reference

Thread Information