Thread: Real Shadows - Fix & Extension

It depends which server board I think is which.

Default Real Shadows - Fix & Extension

Hello Istarians!

I love the real shadows in Istaria but my biggest petpeeve is that the shadows they cast just don't look right on ancient and adult dragons. The models are chopped off halfway and you don't see everything. I realised just recently that in the .ent files you can adjust this! So, I created a fix. Hatchling dragons and half-giants are included because even if they don't get a cut off when standing, their shadows glitch out when jumping. Mobs are also included.

Also while making the real shadows a fix, I figured out that I could create a mod to do what I always wanted to see - your dragon's shadow far on the ground below you as you fly! There are some oddities since the terrain isn't fully considered when shadows are rendered, so you may get weird 'mirror tunnel' effects. (Seeing your shadow 2+ times without anything cut off) Foggy environments will still display your shadow very clearly on the ground even if you can't see the ground. Also if you stand on tall terrain you will see your shadow randomly far below, as if youre standing on glass. Of course, things like this are to be expected really. Istaria's an old game.

Fix

Far Shadow Rendering

Please note that Istaria likes to crash when you have the shadows on in general. Using the distance shadows or the fix may cause you to crash more!
    Also, sorry for the FPS lag on the 2nd video. Whenever I go somewhere somewhat new Istaria likes to drop my FPS from 60 to 20 and then back. Also note both these videos were taken with the Original Ancient Mod active, meaning that the dragons appear larger than they normally would.
    Last edited by Racktor; January 26th, 2015 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Fixed up title

Default Re: Real Shadows - Fix & Extension

Note: Please know that these two are not compatible with each other, but they can be made to be so. With both folders in your resources_override, go into the 'Shadow Fix' one and delete these three files:
    dragonj_u.ent
    dragon_u.ent
    dragona_u.ent

Then you're good to go. Sorry for the double-post but I forgot to add that!

Also if you see any other mobs or creatures that don't have a full shadow, tell me! I'll add them to the list. I noticed Reklar myself but I can't seem to get him to have a full shadow.
    Last edited by Racktor; January 26th, 2015 at 07:40 PM.

Wow, this is exactly what I was hoping to see when I read the title. I'm so glad you were able to figure out a fix for this! The distance shadows look awesome too. I hope at least the first of your fixes may be implemented officially, as it seems like something that should have been done from the start, haha.

Thank you :3

I've been tempted to poke the devs with the fix portion of this post but honestly I'm not sure where to, really. ^^; Going back through the forums I actually suggested this to be fixed a while back but the topic got no reply and was closed. (You can see it here - http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ws-Improvement ) Not sure why I got no reply at all to that though.. then again during that time I made a lot of forum posts and suggestions so I guess they were starting to become overwhelming? xD

Since you already have done the footwork, can't imagine it being too difficult to implement. :P

Need more tweaks like these!
    rip

Rack, this thing works like a dream! I hope they'd implement a fix like this because its been the only reason all these years I never used the real shadows. Just wish there was some way to make them blend in and out a bit better when landing and taking off. Still I'll take the shadows being at the right height over nothing at all!

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

Very nice job on figuring out the settings to fix that
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Thanks, all three of you! ^^ I only happened to come across the setting when wondering why someone edited the .ent files for a texture mod xD

Also, while I'm not sure if they want me to say this for one reason or another, the devs poked me to integrate the fix into the game, so the fix part won't be necessary after... some update, I don't know when. ^^; But nonetheless! I went back and edited the entity files of the mobs whose shadows are cut off as well and sent those in too, but I won't be adding it to the mod since it'll be added into the game itself anyway. I'd edit the title and add this to the first post but I can't.

Looks very good

Nice work
    Abbie: 100 Sorcerer, 100 Wizard, 100 Conjurer, 100 Chaos Warrior

Thread Information