Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk to the Team: Gifts

Default Talk to the Team: Gifts

The current system of Gift spells is boring, simple stat buffs leave nothing to the imagination. We've been brainstorming ideas for ways to introduce and alter Gifts that would make them much more interesting. Listed below are some ideas we've had for ways to change some of the existing Gifts as well as some ideas for new Gifts:

• Gift of Resistance (was Armor) = Reduces incoming physical damage by a %
    • (NEW) Gift of Resilience = Reduces incoming elemental damage by a %
    • Gift of Vitality (was Health) = Slow pulsing HoT
    • Gift of Alacrity - Do not change
    • Gift of the Mother (was Dexterity) - Increases Arcane Skills by X%
    • Gift of the Wood (was Focus) - Increases Mystical Skills by X%
    • Gift of the Shroud (was Power) - Increases Spell Damage by X%
    • Gift of the Widower (was Strength) - Increases Physical Damage by X%
    • Speed - Do not change
    • Velocity - Do not change
    • Gift of Malice (was Toughness) - On non-standard hit, has a % chance to cause the next attack to do X% bonus damage.
    • Ancestral Determination (was Determination) - Increases Physical Damage by X%, bonus to T&C skill, conflicts with “Gift of the Widower”
    • Drulkar’s Roar (was Primal Roar) - Increases Spell Damage by X%, bonus to Primal skill, conflicts with “Gift of the Shroud”
    • (NEW) Gift of the Serpent - %Chance to resist poison on physical attack
    • (NEW) Gift of the Fates - %Chance to automatically resurrect upon death (Use causes the Gift to immediately fade and cannot be re-applied for N seconds)
    • (NEW) Gift of Benevolence - %Chance to heal those within X meters when hit by non-standard attack
    • (NEW) Gift of Knowledge - Bonus to Mystical Tradeskills
    • (NEW) Gift of Artistry - Bonus to Mundane Tradeskills

Costs, available, etc. have not been determined as this is still in the brainstorming phase. We do recognize that this would impact crafters by removing stat buffs that they rely upon for optimal work. To counter that we'd consider increasing the skill boosts that player-built machines offer.

As always your comments, feedback and suggestions are welcomed and encouraged. Thank you!
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Default Re: Talk to the Team: Gifts

I have to say my first reaction after reading first few gifts was...shock. I cant imagne crafters life without those constant stat bonuses,even with machine bonuses increased. a lot of public machines don't offer any bonus at all and a lot of young players rely on current gifts as they help them a lot through their first 20 lvs or so. Then I think of T6 builders of Istaria. currently even with fully teched t5 gear and T5 gifts you barely reach optimum on building mats,not to mention applying them to structures.

What I would like to propose instead,keep the old stat gifts,make them conflict with Mother,Wood,Shroud,Widower.

I do not like idea of vitality gift to be a pulsing HoT. both dragons and peds have a small (but still) variety of hots and im worried they will conflict with the gift. To be honest I prefer the 212 health that we currently get from Gift of health 5.

I really like the ideas of latter gifts and I can see their usefulness.
    To conclude: keep old stat gifts, add new ones with conflicts to old gifts.

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

I agree that may be best who knows what problems it could cause as Salwirk mentioned it could also cause conflicts between the schools or even general buffs or buffs they can make. In addition maybe reduce the optimum on the build mats and other T6 materials if you decide to go this route. I know its hard to reach T6 optimum as I heard. We need to keep the community happy at the same time as making changes to improve or refresh the game it is a delicate balance.

There's a whole line of buffs that give resistance and ward to certain attack types. Maybe something could be done with those? % chance when attacks with a certain type to take reduced damage and reflect some damage?

Was editing original post, but got distracted >.>

Anyway - mild concern over conflicting things. As a dragon, I'd like to be able to fill my Gift slots with, if I like, all casting (excluding Aclarity) Gifts (or melee for my melee dragon, and so forth). Could Shroud/Roar and the melee equivilant be made to not conflict?

Quote Originally Posted by Alisto View Post
    Was editing original post, but got distracted >.>

Anyway - mild concern over conflicting things. As a dragon, I'd like to be able to fill my Gift slots with, if I like, all casting (excluding Aclarity) Gifts (or melee for my melee dragon, and so forth). Could Shroud/Roar and the melee equivilant be made to not conflict?
    They both increase Spell damage by certain percent so I don't think so. Bu this is where I would use determination/roar with old Power and Strength gifts.

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    We do recognize that this would impact crafters by removing stat buffs that they rely upon for optimal work. To counter that we'd consider increasing the skill boosts that player-built machines offer.
    They could still be craftable via scholar and scrolls, unless they will change as well?
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing View Post
    They could still be craftable via scholar and scrolls, unless they will change as well?
    That could certainly be an option, though I believe the scroll formulas require a Gift spell as part of the ingredients.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    • (NEW) Gift of Knowledge - Bonus to Mystical Tradeskills
    • (NEW) Gift of Artistry - Bonus to Mundane Tradeskills
    In general, I like the sound of this idea. My concern is with these 2 gifts. Hopefully the craft bonus is enough to offset the loss of the stat bonuses to craft skills, mainly in regards to applying construction resources. And also please make sure that dragons get access to these two gifts as spells if added to offset the loss of Determination/Primal Roar stats for crafting.
    Chaos: Xingolos PlagueWind (31 Hatchling: 23)---Cilok Magmaborn (retired Lunus Ancient: 100/100/60)---Turacegos Blizzardwing (20 Hatchling: 19)---Bilkur Tinkerton (Gnome adjusting to life on Spirit Isle)

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

How about increasing the amount on the various Craft Cogs in the world, no need to mess with plot structures then?

What Salwik said.
    I share the concerns mentioned above.
    I support Alisto`s first suggestion instead.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Why not keep the Gifts as they are now, that wouldn't really hurt - and add the new ones, I like the idea of some of them. Let the player decide himself what he likes to use. The "old" Gifts are very useful in a lot of purposes from crafting up to adventuring. At least for crafting the old Gifts would be a loss if taken away.
    Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

While some of the new ones suggested look cool, I am in favor of keeping the old ones as they are.
    Also, since you speak of adding things, it would be a very good time to increase the size of formula and spell books since a lot of us have already thrown away things we would have like to keep. Thanks for consideration.
    Blight: Kaylee, Marynah, others
    Guildmistress, Crafters of Blight
    Chaos: Demmona, Bankshot, others
    Co-Guildmistress, Mithril Council

Quote Originally Posted by Marynah View Post
    While some of the new ones suggested look cool, I am in favor of keeping the old ones as they are.
    Also, since you speak of adding things, it would be a very good time to increase the size of formula and spell books since a lot of us have already thrown away things we would have like to keep. Thanks for consideration.
    Psssttt.. Marynah...
    • Increased the Spell Book capacity to 250
    • from the delta 269 patch notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilok View Post
    In general, I like the sound of this idea. My concern is with these 2 gifts. Hopefully the craft bonus is enough to offset the loss of the stat bonuses to craft skills, mainly in regards to applying construction resources. And also please make sure that dragons get access to these two gifts as spells if added to offset the loss of Determination/Primal Roar stats for crafting.
    Current t5 stat gifts are +80 right? That means with all four existing gifts, +80 strength, +80 power, +80 dex, +80 focus, you gain exactly +8 to all skills, when you got all four on.

So if the replacement for that, the tradeskill boost gift, is +10, we are already ahead in that regard.

Now, where else we lose skill points, from the stats, is every melee and spell skill as well. And evasion/magic evasion. We lose 8 to every skill (craft, spell, melee), and 8 to evasion and magic evasion, when the old stat gifts go away.

Since all these skills are proposed to be increased by the replacements, I think they might be a good change.

One other "Gift" suggestion I have, is that Determination and Primal Roar, and anything else biped that now takes a gift slot, be set to 2 hour duration. Just make them all the same, then it's easier to keep buffs up on long days of hunting. Vs, these last 2 hours, these only last an hour, and these only last 30 minutes.. I don't get the point of the shorter durations, on any of them, save for surges. We just re-apply them anyway. Just set them all to 2 hours.

Same for enhances and other buffs outside the gift windows. some are 5 minute (armor of the watcher, soul shield) some are 15 minute (resistances, flame attack, etc), some are 30 minutes (enhances), etc etc. Just make everything 2 hours. (please :) )
    Last edited by Guaran; March 14th, 2015 at 04:33 PM.

How about a couple of crafting gifts to replace the stat boosts lost instead? Possibilities I come up with:
    Gift of the earth - boosts anything dug up and the processing of it (miner class stuff, but include final processing steps too)
    Gift of flora and fauna - boost anything collected from living things and the processing of it (gatherer class stuff, but include final processing steps too)
    Finder's gift - bonus to collecting any resource
    Processor's gift - bonus to any processing of raw resources
    Maker's gift - bonus to any crafting of a final item

Since we redoing gifts maybe Dragon's Gift I-V can get a rework too.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    Current t5 stat gifts are +80 right? That means with all four existing gifts, +80 strength, +80 power, +80 dex, +80 focus, you gain exactly +8 to all skills, when you got all four on.

So if the replacement for that, the tradeskill boost gift, is +10, we are already ahead in that regard.

Now, where else we lose skill points, from the stats, is every melee and spell skill as well. And evasion/magic evasion. We lose 8 to every skill (craft, spell, melee), and 8 to evasion and magic evasion, when the old stat gifts go away.

Since all these skills are proposed to be increased by the replacements, I think they might be a good change.

One other "Gift" suggestion I have, is that Determination and Primal Roar, and anything else biped that now takes a gift slot, be set to 2 hour duration. Just make them all the same, then it's easier to keep buffs up on long days of hunting. Vs, these last 2 hours, these only last an hour, and these only last 30 minutes.. I don't get the point of the shorter durations, on any of them, save for surges. We just re-apply them anyway. Just set them all to 2 hours.

Same for enhances and other buffs outside the gift windows. some are 5 minute (armor of the watcher, soul shield) some are 15 minute (resistances, flame attack, etc), some are 30 minutes (enhances), etc etc. Just make everything 2 hours. (please :) )
    I am attempting to standardize them. Anything that lasts 1-2 hours takes up a gift slot (i have no problem lengthening it to 2 hours), anything that lasts less does not take a gift slot.

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

While your standardising them.....could you make them all 1 hour durations? I know this will get a few flames but it will help out the crafting market if things are used slightly quicker than slower. ;)

how about 1 hour for crafting buffs and 2 hours for the others will that appease both parties?

Thread Information