Thread: Hello Everyone!

Smile Hello Everyone!

I figured with my growing interest, I should introduce myself. Ever since I had been around the internet I have been Bardivus. In fact, it wasn't an awfully long time after I started online gaming, I discovered a game called "Horizons: Empires of Istaria" and I remember seeing the development screenshots thinking it was beautiful. As life tends to do, it got quite hectic shortly after the release of the game. I lost track of the game and when life settled down enough I could not find Horizons so I gave up, being the years before efficient search engines of course.

I played other games that are well known, games that over time went downhill for me. I tried to make the games fun again but I couldn't, so I gave up on them. Some time ago, on a nostalgia trip, I searched for older games I had played before online gaming had been taken over by huge companies and seemingly became more and more carbon copies of each other. Some were gone, Some were waning, while others thrived. I found Istaria again almost by accident. I created a free account and just played around for a bit. I enjoyed myself for what little time I spent. I keep finding myself coming back and giving careful consideration to making Istaria my virtual residence.

I miss the community that online games used to share. Istaria, while still thriving and active seems to have this. I'm not just wanting to play around a little, I want to be in a community. Whichever game I pick to be my virtual home, I plan on spending a considerable amount of time in. This is partially an introduction, but in another part a question.

I plan on becoming a member, could I get any recommendations from you all as to which level of membership I should get? As I only played around in low levels in my trial, I'm unsure of much beyond that point. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Hello Everyone!

Based on what you've written, level of membership would seem to be a no brainer. If you don't join at a level that includes plot/lair ownership you'll be missing a huge part of the Istaria experience.. That's presuming that your interests lie beyond purely fighting.

Take it from another who has played every MMO under the sun but keeps returning to Istaria. It's hard to get bored when there are so many diversions available. If this is your only online commitment don't skimp. Jump in on a multi-month membership and re-evaluate at the end of that period if necessary.

Oh, and remember that it takes a while to save up coin to buy a plot/lair but it won't be long before you can prepare for it by practicing construction skills.

Welcome Aboard.

Wonderful to see another player coming in to Istaria! As damger said, it would seem to be a no-brainer for you what kind of subscription to get. It certainly was for me as well- I was sold on the paid sub the moment I saw they had playable dragons and was sold on the plotholder sub the moment I had enough coin to buy a lair.

You can do everything there is in Istaria without a plot or lair but it is MUCH easier to level building schools with one. Not to mention more pleasant to have your own personal online home with whatever you decide to have in it.

Just out of curiosity, which shard or shards are you going to be joining?

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

Have to agree with what's been said so far...I'd jump in with a paid subscription (which is what I did, after a day or two with a free trial)...plot-holder really isn't necessary until you've built your character up enough to be able to *do* something with the plot...even then, there's almost always someone around who has a plot/lair that needs work, and most of us are more than happy to let someone give us a hand or claw

I've never been on the Chaos shard, so, can't speak to it...Order has a small community, but it's amazingly friendly and helpful...and, while it's officially the "role-play" shard, there's certainly no requirement for anyone to RP.

Either way, should you decide to join us....welcome!!

Greetings Bardivus,
    Istaria is a great game and always welcoming new and returning members with open arms. ^.^. Sounds like a few people have given you some great advice so I will just point out a few things to keep in mind. If you pay for a plot sub for 6months you will save a bit a coin comes out to 77 per 6mo if I recall. I would also recommend creating a free human subscription and using that as your main character to play and level. There is no need to jump right in at first. Then when you are ready, create a new account and buy the plot with it. Use your main to build it, the reason I suggest this is that if one day for some reason you are unable to keep your sub up, you will still be able to play even though the plot will go away. I have seen many people come then go because of lack of funds and then come back on a level 1 free account and wish they thought of this.
    -Kor
    Last edited by Korchak Strongbone; March 20th, 2015 at 08:44 PM. Reason: accidenlty hit save LOL.

I'd like to thank everyone for the advice. I look forward to seeing all of you in game

As for my plans, I tend to be on both the regular and the roleplaying server just to give things a shot, both groups do seem quite inviting.

Thread Information