Thread: Special Spell:Drain Bolt

Default Special Spell:Drain Bolt

Well I have just done the quest and got the form and am now at a real loss as to why it is as it is.

Only after doing Drain Bolt X can you get the quest for the form, and none of the spells you make with it are able to be traded...

What confuses me is why there is even tiers 1 through 8 of the spell on the form? Surely someone is not going to make a spell that low to use at a level they can get the form. I understand 9 being there if you are not able to get travertine spell shards and 10 is a given.

Perhaps a way to do it would be to give out a form on each step of the quest that will only allow you to craft that spell so you can actually craft the spells as you level? And once you get the final scrolls you can delete all the previous forms?

Or heck instead of receiving a spell on all those previous quests you just receive a form (the knowledge) to make them... although non crafters would be against this idea... even if end the end they need craft to have any chance at a teched one.

I just don't understand why it was done this way, nothing on the form but the final two tiers is of any practical use.

Default Re: Special Spell:Drain Bolt

Had Lovwyrm talk to me in game.. so thought I would clear it up a little..

You have to do all the quests up to and including Drain Bolt X to get the form

The form has a product list that includes all of the tiers of drain bolt

the products are attuned so you can not utilize any of the lower tiers for someone else who has done drain bolt making any of the products except IX and X pointless (IX if you don't have the master spell shards form) Would you as a level 100 make a teched drain bolt 1 for yourself? Really?

Suggestion is to give an attuned formula for the drain bolt spell you just quested along with that spell for each of the previous tiers up to 8 and then after X you can delete all 8 of the previous formula from your knowledge book and scribe the master one.

I can see what you were going for doing it the way you were doing it until you realized the spells would need to be attuned on creation.. it is just kind of broken how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Soraii View Post
    Well I have just done the quest and got the form and am now at a real loss as to why it is as it is.

Only after doing Drain Bolt X can you get the quest for the form, and none of the spells you make with it are able to be traded...

What confuses me is why there is even tiers 1 through 8 of the spell on the form? Surely someone is not going to make a spell that low to use at a level they can get the form. I understand 9 being there if you are not able to get travertine spell shards and 10 is a given.

Perhaps a way to do it would be to give out a form on each step of the quest that will only allow you to craft that spell so you can actually craft the spells as you level? And once you get the final scrolls you can delete all the previous forms?

Or heck instead of receiving a spell on all those previous quests you just receive a form (the knowledge) to make them... although non crafters would be against this idea... even if end the end they need craft to have any chance at a teched one.

I just don't understand why it was done this way, nothing on the form but the final two tiers is of any practical use.
    I have to agree I did the quest and obtained the form and did made drain bolt I to test it. It attunes on creation which is silly. What's the point? You already did Drain Bolt X. It only be useful for Drain Bolt X or IX. I have to agree with Soraii. A change needs to be made. Either take off the attunement or do what Soraii suggested are the only ways I see to fix this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ZyrimShadowheart View Post
    I have to agree I did the quest and obtained the form and did made drain bolt I to test it. It attunes on creation which is silly. What's the point? You already did Drain Bolt X. It only be useful for Drain Bolt X or IX. I have to agree with Soraii. A change needs to be made. Either take off the attunement or do what Soraii suggested are the only ways I see to fix this problem.
    They won't take off the attunement otherwise what would stop you giving the spell to a dragon that has never done the quest?
    Gwain Drago - Mystic Paladin
    Arzel - Knight of creation/Battlemage
    Aurakvoar - Ancient Lunus

The form is so you can make a new version of the spell, if in the future, new drag-to-apply spelltechs ever get added to the game. Right now you can drag Mental Bane onto drain bolt 9 or 10 (even if its scribed). But lets say something better than mental bane comes along. Then you can craft a new DB X, and put a different tech on it, all without doing tickets to the dev's

It's not meant to be craft-able for anyone else. Just for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    The form is so you can make a new version of the spell, if in the future, new drag-to-apply spelltechs ever get added to the game. Right now you can drag Mental Bane onto drain bolt 9 or 10 (even if its scribed). But lets say something better than mental bane comes along. Then you can craft a new DB X, and put a different tech on it, all without doing tickets to the dev's

It's not meant to be craft-able for anyone else. Just for yourself.
    I think the issue they're trying to bring forward is that you can craft the lower versions too (I, II, etc.), which have no practical use as you've already done the quests (and thus reached the requirements) for the highest tier.
    making the formula only have the highest (or top 2) versions of the spell seems a lot more practical yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by meepsa View Post
    I think the issue they're trying to bring forward is that you can craft the lower versions too (I, II, etc.), which have no practical use as you've already done the quests (and thus reached the requirements) for the highest tier.
    making the formula only have the highest (or top 2) versions of the spell seems a lot more practical yeah.
    Meepsa is right because the heart of the issue is that you can craft the lower versions too, and they have no practical use since it attunes on creation. That's what is trying to be brought forward.

Why not is my question?

It's better to have options that not have any. Sometimes it's fun to compare damage for the same skill, or like, beat something decent up with a t1 spell.

What if a person loses or suddenly decides to start collecting stuff when somethings already gone? Not likely, but i don't see why such a change is needed. If it was a bother, maybe, but it's not.

I don't think it's harming anyone for the 8 and lower versions to be on there, i just don't see the point in changing something thats neither broken nor does it really need improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Azath View Post
    Why not is my question?

It's better to have options that not have any. Sometimes it's fun to compare damage for the same skill, or like, beat something decent up with a t1 spell.

What if a person loses or suddenly decides to start collecting stuff when somethings already gone? Not likely, but i don't see why such a change is needed. If it was a bother, maybe, but it's not.

I don't think it's harming anyone for the 8 and lower versions to be on there, i just don't see the point in changing something thats neither broken nor does it really need improvement.
    I can agree to that. Plus you can use it to test combinations for like a new alt or something but I think one suggestion is good that you should craft your drain bolt for each quest. The reason is so you can tech it properly cause with out it you can only use tech kits I believe.

The way I see this, there's three options for the drain bolt form to make sense:

1. Give out the form to craft it as you complete the quests, so players can have a techniqued drain bolt III at level 30 when they finish the quest for example, rather than wait until level 100/100 to even be able to make a drain bolt III. Drawbacks for this option: there would be 10 different forms floating around.

2. Allow the products of the form to be traded and put a requirement on the spell that the relevant quest must be completed before you can scribe the spell. Thus you can be given a techniqued drain bolt V spell at level 50 only after completing the quest for drain bolt V. You would require someone who has completed all the drain bolt quests and gotten the form to make the spell for you obviously. Drawbacks for this option: each variant of drain bolt would need to be altered and have its own requirement-to-scribe attached.

3. Remove drain bolt 1-8 from the form as they would all be entirely useless, even to test things, as an alt you would want to test the lower spells for would have no way to actually acquire the techniqued spell when it would still be useful. And obviously, a techniqued low-level drain bolt is useless for a level 100 who already has drain bolt X and the form. Drawbacks for this option: techniqued variants for drain bolt 1-8 would be impossible to acquire, for any character.

Personally, I'd be in favor of option 2. It would probably require the most work to implement on the part of the devs, but it would allow any version of the spell to be teched, any character to potentially have access to the techniqued versions, and not require every character to have 100 craft to have access to all the teched versions. (Mostly I just don't want to hunt down every spell tech again on every character I want to have techniqued drain bolts on.)

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

Quote Originally Posted by Machaeon View Post
    The way I see this, there's three options for the drain bolt form to make sense:

1. Give out the form to craft it as you complete the quests, so players can have a techniqued drain bolt III at level 30 when they finish the quest for example, rather than wait until level 100/100 to even be able to make a drain bolt III. Drawbacks for this option: there would be 10 different forms floating around.

2. Allow the products of the form to be traded and put a requirement on the spell that the relevant quest must be completed before you can scribe the spell. Thus you can be given a techniqued drain bolt V spell at level 50 only after completing the quest for drain bolt V. You would require someone who has completed all the drain bolt quests and gotten the form to make the spell for you obviously. Drawbacks for this option: each variant of drain bolt would need to be altered and have its own requirement-to-scribe attached.

3. Remove drain bolt 1-8 from the form as they would all be entirely useless, even to test things, as an alt you would want to test the lower spells for would have no way to actually acquire the techniqued spell when it would still be useful. And obviously, a techniqued low-level drain bolt is useless for a level 100 who already has drain bolt X and the form. Drawbacks for this option: techniqued variants for drain bolt 1-8 would be impossible to acquire, for any character.

Personally, I'd be in favor of option 2. It would probably require the most work to implement on the part of the devs, but it would allow any version of the spell to be teched, any character to potentially have access to the techniqued versions, and not require every character to have 100 craft to have access to all the teched versions. (Mostly I just don't want to hunt down every spell tech again on every character I want to have techniqued drain bolts on.)
    On this one I will have to support Macheon with this. Option 1 there will be too many forms unless they go by tier, options 2 seem to be the better bet there are plenty of formulas out there we don't need too many . Maybe even a combination of option 1 and 2 that is more heavily focused on option 2 or option 2 if there is a way to fix the drawbacks. I mention a combination cause not every one on istaria is nice and will craft a teched drain bolt for you. We do need to be more of a community and working together.

1-8 is now removed.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiel View Post
    1-8 is now removed.
    That solves the problem.

Thread Information