Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just logged into blight.. and my black dragon now has white horns...

Default I just logged into blight.. and my black dragon now has white horns...

Oh please no... please please no.

At least give us something we can download to undo this change if you are adding it. I currently play a dragon that is black as my main character and making a change that for the most part fits well with most of the lighter colored textures but clashes horribly with my original choice in skins and textures.

As it was previously you had a choice to add it or not when it was a player customization... if this is made perminent at least give us an optional mod to undo it. I make small mods to the mechanics of the game, I am not an artist really capable of modding the art of a game.

Default Re: I just logged into blight.. and my black dragon now has white horns...

yes pls!
    Lov looks a bit ....old^^
    and Luna looks like she needs a bath^^

Should have been the personal choice of the player!

(on Order live)
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Default Re: I just logged into blight.. and my black dragon now has white horns...

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    yes pls!
    Lov looks a bit ....old^^
    and Luna looks like she needs a bath^^

Should have been the personal choice of the player!

(on Order live)
    I'm also in support of this, however, there is no way of making everyone happy with this:
    -Make it part of the character creation process->people who want it on already existed chars don't get it untill re-designing becomes a thing.
    -Force it on everyone->people that don't want it are forced to deal with it.

I don't mind the teeth but they are minor items, and I know they can not be changed without changing the horns, but white is not the ONLY color horns OR claws come in in nature. Black is a perfectly normal color for horns... Forcing just one color is going to end up making more problems then not... as such this was a great player customization but not good for those who did not want to use it in the standard game.

Sure a purple dragon will have purple horns.. a red dragon will have red horns to me.. but you know what? it looks fine and does not look out of place... My very dark almost totally black dragon having white claws and horns that look to be from the zombie dragon costume.. that looks very out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Soraii View Post
    I don't mind the teeth but they are minor items, and I know they can not be changed without changing the horns, but white is not the ONLY color horns OR claws come in in nature. Black is a perfectly normal color for horns... Forcing just one color is going to end up making more problems then not... as such this was a great player customization but not good for those who did not want to use it in the standard game.

Sure a purple dragon will have purple horns.. a red dragon will have red horns to me.. but you know what? it looks fine and does not look out of place... My very dark almost totally black dragon having white claws and horns that look to be from the zombie dragon costume.. that looks very out of place.
    First things first, it's actually quite possible to only do the teeth or only the horns, it's a simple change in the .agh file. (it mostly depends on how this was done, but an .agh edit should suffice)

Next, I love the idea of multiple horn colours, and when the re-design idea gets added (yes I know this most likely won't be any time soon) it would be great to put it forth!
    About the re-design stuff, I think we did get confirmation that it is in fact possible, so this is no when/if case luckily. (would love some dev input on this actually, is it still on the table of ideas?)

That being said, I'm not trying to derail this or anything, but sometimes we just have to deal with things how they are. (*cough* like the current RoP *cough* haha)

Well I would likely very happily use a mod that only colored the teeth to a white color. Multiple colors of horns is more or less what we have (had?) now. I really hope I don't insult anyone here, but this change panders more or less only to those with a brightly colored dragon who doesn't want their horns and claws to also be those colors.

I really hope this change was just a screw up and someone in the dev team uses this 'player customization' and accidentally uploaded it with the client update. What I am afraid of however is one of the devs uses one of the dragon color and texture combinations this looks good on and said hey everyone needs this 'once option' modification. I have guild members on order who never logged into blight and have also been given this 'player customization' and they are as upset about it as I am.

Oddly though only two of my clients currently have this what I am going to consider a 'screw up'

p.s.
    And really.. no where in actual nature or the history of Istaria.. is white the only color of horns or claws, this is actually something that detracts from immersion if anything. No insult or anything intended!

Personally, I like the change... what you see on Blight is exactly the mod I've been using since I found the mods section of the forums. The teeth being the same color as the whole rest of the dragon didn't make sense to me. It looks weird especially with a green dragon, green claws and horns I could live with, but green teeth? Excuse me while I go buy a dragon-sized bottle of tooth whitener.

If it's at all possible to do, perhaps a "tooth/claw/horn coloration" check box could be added to the options window. Would keep everyone happy since they can have this on or off at their preference.

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

Quote Originally Posted by Machaeon View Post
    Personally, I like the change... what you see on Blight is exactly the mod I've been using since I found the mods section of the forums.
    And there in lies the rub oh Great spotted Greeness

You were using it already so there is no change for you... Other then no longer needing the mod. Those of us who were not using it are now being forced to use it.

And like Meeps said, if they make a mod that just changes teeth I won't grumble. I am betting on this being a mistake, but I won't patch my two clients that are unaffected until proven yeah or nay

A majority of players use this mod, and the textures would have looked like this from the start had the texture artists felt like separating teeth and mouth from the rest of the dragon's base colors when it came to painting UV layouts. To be quite honest, from a game artist's perspective, the original textures were hastily done and this change improves things quite a bit.

Feel free to put these into your resources override if you don't like the change.

Old Claws and Teeth: http://puu.sh/hT8A3/9f2172ef42.rar
    Preview image: http://puu.sh/hT7UN/8babb2fcff.png

No Red Gums (Just horn and teeth modification): http://puu.sh/hT8Kv/d519e335d2.rar
    Preview image: http://puu.sh/hT8vb/069f44cb89.png

A majority of the players? Eh.. on Order right now the majority of the people logged in and in marketplace are complaining about the change... I would assume that to mean they did not have it.

So I would question your claim that most players use it.

I could sit here all day and collect testimonials from people that do use it. Doesn't matter. They had their chance to speak up in the thread about making this mod official, and they didn't. So it's official.

It takes all but a few seconds to mod the horns back to how they were. It took me five minutes to modify and test the two files that changed.

As it stands, the new files bring more separation out in the design of the dragons and doesn't look like a lazy/unfinished texture job to new players that are trying out the game. The new horns and mouth are more artistically sound and make sense from an artist's perspective. No amount of complaining will change the fact that they were needed changes.

The sad thing is that yes, there are some dragons I have seen that look good with it, the ones with spiral horns for instance. However.. I have a white dragon and it looks really bad on the white dragon (White horn mod clashing with a white dragon.. how odd ). People will say "oh it looks great" but that is the funny thing with people everyone has their own opinions. And my opinion for the dragons I have created and play say no, and my opinion is this change negatively impacts the appearance on far more dragons that I have seen then it improves...

with mod.

without

.. and for the biggest change..

Looks like it has the horns and claws from the zombie dragon costume...

soraii, I'm just goint to dump my 2 cents here on another thing.
    What do you think of the sound emote mod? because I for one detested it, the sound was extremely loud for some, extremely soft for others, some (most if not all) of the animations were just un-used animations meant for other things (flying sneeze is for getting hit in the air), not to mention the "hello" grates my ears everytime I hear it.
    With it being fully implemented into the game, I cringed a little.
    Now I'm not sure whether the greet sound effect was added in too or not, simply because I've decided to just have my sounds turned off, it wouldn't be too bad either...if it weren't for the fact that a lot of NPCs got idle animations, some involving sound emotes. (I seem to remember getting "hello" spammed while looking at the Kion Consigner)

Now did I mope about this? yes. Did I prefer it the old way? definately!
    However, I simply coped with the fact that I'd either have to get rid of the sound files that annoyed me, edit a file so the emotes no longer play the sounds, or simply play with sound turned off...the latter of which purely won because I'm quite lazy lately.

Kida is right in the fact that the old horns made the dragons look like their art was rushed, heck I remember some people calling the istaria dragons "made out of play-dough" because the horns just blended in with body colour. They're also right that there was in fact a thread about this, and if so many people were against it, than they'd benefit from going on the forums and saying so back then instead of remaining silent.

Let me answer you with another question..

I have made a mod that changes khutits into hatchlings because I don't like the khutits. This is for my and a few others that like it to enjoy. Now say I patched this live so everyone had to have it because I wanted them to be forced to see my character how I wanted to see it not how the game was designed to see it? Would people who liked normal khutit forms have room to complain? Why they would have all reason to complain because I am forcing them to use mods so they have to look at my modded character the way I look at it.

Now this mod was freely available and those who like it can down load it and use it and those that don't like it and prefer how they created the dragon originally in the creation process did not have to use it.

By making it mandatory the people who want it and use it are telling us who do not like it and don't use it that they don't care what we think and they want us to pander to them and see their dragon how they want to see it and not letting us see our dragons the way we made them.

I am still the assumption it was added in error and will stick to the assumption until such time the devs state otherwise and I am still on the heavily against the change side because as I said, it's basically pandering to the group of people who modded their dragons because they did not like how they made them with no regards for those who made their dragon and were happy.

I am fine you get to see what you want to with mods, do not force me to see it if I don't want to...

As for sounds? I have had my sounds turned off since the day I started playing the game, repetitious sounds give me a headache, although sounds were not part of the character creation process.

It depends which server board I think is which.

I am still the assumption it was added in error and will stick to the assumption until such time the devs state otherwise and I am still on the heavily against the change side because as I said, it's basically pandering to the group of people who modded their dragons because they did not like how they made them with no regards for those who made their dragon and were happy.

I am fine you get to see what you want to with mods, do not force me to see it if I don't want to...
    There was a long thread about people asking to add it a bit back, sometime this year (within the last few months?) and I think either Yfelvik or Cegaiel replied saying the developers are considering it, so I doubt it was a mistake.

Edit: Here - http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...nd-Teeth-color
    Last edited by Racktor; May 19th, 2015 at 07:41 PM.

I have made a mod that changes khutits into hatchlings because I don't like the khutits. This is for my and a few others that like it to enjoy. Now say I patched this live so everyone had to have it because I wanted them to be forced to see my character how I wanted to see it not how the game was designed to see it? Would people who liked normal khutit forms have room to complain? Why they would have all reason to complain because I am forcing them to use mods so they have to look at my modded character the way I look at it.
    Except that that's completely beside the point, nowhere has it been stated that either dragons have gummy horns, teeth and claws or white (I think there might be more hints towards the lattar than the first). So it wasn't 'how the game was designed to see it', as there's no evidence anywhere to what colour our T&C should be.

Also, the khutit comment is completely besides the point, this isn't about "being how I want to see my game", and it definately isn't about lore-breaking.

And there was room to complain about this before it was even implemented, in fact I think the discussion lasted a good few weeks before it died down with a pretty unanimous "yeah, it'd be nice"

Change happens people, and it's for the better of the game's image.

Went back to that thread and I do see why I overlooked it, the topic said nothing about horns and just had to do with teeth and mouths. And as I said before I fully support the teeth and as an extension the mouth re-texture. The package that was added to the game goes beyond that however.

I will say again, I fully support a tooth and mouth re-texture but I don't like the rather blind application of the horn color across the board. It does not fit.

It depends which server board I think is which.

Went back to that thread and I do see why I overlooked it, the topic said nothing about horns and just had to do with teeth and mouths. And as I said before I fully support the teeth and as an extension the mouth re-texture. The package that was added to the game goes beyond that however.

I will say again, I fully support a tooth and mouth re-texture but I don't like the rather blind application of the horn color across the board. It does not fit.
    The horn color was kind of implied, since the mod itself is referred to as "red mouth/white claws" mod usually. People just kind of knew what they were talking about, I guess.

For now, though, here:
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...583#post304583

Hey Ractor,

Meeps said above "First things first, it's actually quite possible to only do the teeth or only the horns,"

Is that true? And if you could manage it I would be eternally greatfull

Hey Ractor,

Meeps said above "First things first, it's actually quite possible to only do the teeth or only the horns,"

Is that true? And if you could manage it I would be eternally greatfull
    I could actually do this for you, only the teeth right? what about the claws?
    -edit I looked at the files...and I might actually be wrong...I'll take a better look at them and come back later on this.

Thread Information