Thread: Hi ;)

Default Hi ;)

Hi, my name is Pykar, im 31 and live in Vienna. Ive started yesterday cause i wanted to see how the monk plays in Istaria (found no Youtube video^^). So far its going good, but i seem to dodge much less at lvl11+...maybe i missed some skills? I just found out before the server went down about training points, so i guess its something like that

If you got some advice for a new player to get a good impression on the whole game (not just crafting^^) feel free to post them

Default Re: Hi ;)

Hi and welcome! Go to new trismus and there should be players around

Welcome! With any character, good training point investment and good gear with good techniques is vital. Training points you can figure out easily yourself with fiddling around or searching the wiki but good gear can be difficult to get your hands on because the best gear is crafted and a good number of the forms you need to hunt for rather than buy. If you prod MarketPlace, you should be able to find either the forms or a skilled crafter to make the gear you need

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

While monks generally fight unarmed (unarmed skill) they can wear something called Hand Wraps. It is similar to a weapon and gives a bit of bonus. At level 11 you can wear Rough Hide Hand Wraps and it provides 8-12 crush damage. You'd probably do a bit more damage.

Officer Frelik on NT (same building as vault) sells those for 750c
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Hand wraps were invented to have something to hold the crystal socket!

Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Try increasing your Dexterity, use training points, jewelery, gear I think you'll find the mobs will hit you way less than right now. :-)

Western North America, near a fault and far from volcanoes.

Spend as many of your TP as you can on evasion.

The only other way to boost evasion is through Wards. Ward points behave like points in evasion vs. a particular damage type. I play a disciple (a prestige class based on Monk), and have 3 sets of ward gear for Crush, Slash, and Pierce (the 3 physical damages). In addition, I have a set with Ice Ward. While Ward gear won't help a whole lot during your first 20 levels, it's very effective with a full set of tier 2 wards (approx 70 points of evasion, 7 levels worth).

When you're not using wards, make sure you wear a set of gear customized for Strength and Unarmed, and wear a full set; armor and jewelry. You will at least hit consistently and hard. You will have to decide between emphasizing one or the other because not every piece of gear will take both boosts. Gear makes all the difference (if you go full Unarmed, about 50 points in the first tier, equal to 5 levels. You can also go full Dex for better evasion - though it's not nearly as good as Wards - or full Strength for better damage.)

Take Warrior for 2 levels, and get someone to make you handwraps of Parry - then you will parry some attacks, in addition to dodging and evading them. Every little bit helps; you should see 1 or 2 parries over a long combat.

Do become a Cleric for 4 levels. That will allow you to use Raise and Gift buffs, as well as one basic heal. It will also master Instant Heal I, so you will have that very nice ability, as a Monk. You may not use the heals a lot during combat, but they're nice in a pinch and for healing up quickly after a fight.

Avoid fighting multiple opponents, your evasion goes way down and you don't parry or dodge as much. (Parry, Block and Dodge only work against the opponent you're targeting.) If you have to, take a level of Scout or Mage so that you can use a basic bow or bolt spell to pull.

Finally, once you get Foresight at level 5, learn your enemies' attack patterns and prevent their most dangerous move. Some of the long-time players consider Foresight the most useful combat skill in the game (but it takes learning every monster's attack patterns).
    --
    Daulnay
    Tamlis Askereth, Saris, Order
    Thorncloud Moonskimmer, Dragon, Order

Thread Information