Thread: Being informed when someone else has you in their friends list?

Default Being informed when someone else has you in their friends list?

Since the new live client. I have been noticing the spam message.

'-name- is attempting to add you to their Contact List. Will check Hidden / Ignore lists first.'

While I understand being notified when someone you have on your contacts list logs in... having them notify you when they log in and you are on their list is kind of strange...

Default Re: Being informed when someone else has you in their friends list?

Just an assumption on my part, but I've noticed in other games that one often can't simply add a person to their friend's list without authorization of the one trying to be friended. Is this perhaps a change to mimic that requirement from other games? Can't remember from WoW, but in ESO - when you friend someone there you become a friend on their list too.
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

I'm a bit confused to what you're saying. It sounds to me like you're saying a player has you on their contact list, but you do not have them in your contact list. But you are being notified when they log in? If so, are you sure you don't have them anywhere on your contact list (perhaps another group)?

The feature of being notified that someone has added you to their Contact list is a feature. I can think of many ways this can be useful.

You know that when you are on someone's contact list, they'll be notified when you log in, in a feedback message. Let's say you don't want this person to know when you log in. By being notified you were added, you have a choice of immediately going to the Visibility list and adding their name to the list where you're invisible (hidden) to certain players. Or if it's a player giving you grief, you can just add them to ignore.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Indeed I am saying when someone was not in my contact list at all and they logged in I got a notification they logged in and the game was checking to see if I was invisible or had them on ignore

This happens every time they log in when they are definitely NOT in my contact list but I am in theirs.

Ah, Im able to reproduce that. This is not intended behavior. I'll pass my notes on to tech team. It should only produce that message when a player adds you to their contact list, not each time they log in.

I'm also getting people who have been in my contact lists for over a year telling me they're getting repeat messages that I've just now added them to my contact list every time I log in.

I even get that between my own characters, my main character is just over 2 years old and my 'favorite' biped character is a few days younger than my main. They've been in each other's contact lists for as long as I've used the contact list. They both get messages every time I have both logged in that I'm essentially trying to add myself to my own contact list.

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

Im also getting messages that my own character is trying to add me to contact list. when I log in. Like im on my character Kaigara,and on login get message "Kaigara is attempting to add you... " this is really weird.

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

The simulation fix for this issue is currently on blight server. It will propagate down to the live shards, soon.

http://community.istaria.com/news/?id=632

Note, this isn't a new client, it's just an update to the simulation code (no patching required).

I see that update, although it does seem somewhat vague.

Is it still going to inform you each time someone logs in that has you on their friends list even if you do not have them on your friends list if they are NOT on ignore?

This seems somewhat redundant and excessive if it is. It may sound rather cruel or crass, but if I wanted to be informed when they logged in I would have placed them on my friends list to begin with.

The notes only say anything about using normal notification channels and that it won't happen if the player is on ignore.?

pls- put that info away completely- it does not make sense, or is wanted by anyone I know.

Vice versa- its annoying and disturbing
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Guys, please read Cega's post about what the feature is INTENDED to do before you go saying "get rid of it entirely". This is an extremely useful feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiel View Post
    The feature of being notified that someone has added you to their Contact list is a feature. I can think of many ways this can be useful.

You know that when you are on someone's contact list, they'll be notified when you log in, in a feedback message. Let's say you don't want this person to know when you log in. By being notified you were added, you have a choice of immediately going to the Visibility list and adding their name to the list where you're invisible (hidden) to certain players. Or if it's a player giving you grief, you can just add them to ignore.
    Here's hoping it starts working as intended soon.

"Our ancestors came down from the heavens and proudly reigned over the land they had created."

It will no longer show the message whenever someone just simply logs in, that was never intended and fixed.

Also, the update was applied to Chaos and Order about 8 hours ago (no server restart was required).

So you should notice it behaving correctly now.

Here is how it's intended to work:

Player adds you to contact list, you get a feedback message that player has added you.

That's it, you should never see any more messages (unless player removed you, then re-added you at a later time). No, you will not see messages from players that have you on friends, or vice-versa anymore (bugged) when they log in normally.

If you have a player on ignore, you won't even see that message (as you wouldn't care).

If you choose to ignore a player, it is best to add them to hidden list, too. Ignore only stops any messages from them, but they can still see when you are online. So if a player is griefing you, add them to both Ignore and Hidden to Few box (screenshot at https://support.istaria.com/index.ph...ode=view&id=58) - Of course Invisible to All works, too.

An upgrade was made, so that if you have a player on ignore, not only do you not see messages from them, but you no longer see emotes they perform. Lets say a player realized you have them on ignore and the only avenue left to grief you is for example, a Hiss emote. You won't even see or realize they are doing it.
    Last edited by Cegaiel; July 24th, 2015 at 02:22 AM.

Thank you Cegaiel,

That makes much more sense then the update notes did

And Kida, please, I was asking for clarification on the link to the update notes he had linked which in itself adressed none of the issues for this thread. There was no reason to go berating us like that.

I admit, the notes aren't clear.

This was the line that addressed it:

• Inform other player is being added to player list and route through online notifications channel.

Previously it was routing messages incorrectly. Tech team likes to make notes short and sweet sometimes

If fixed that easy, thank you so much. It was another irritation. Can you fix the "sorry for the bump" for everyone you meet? That is still happening to me constantly for NPCs and players. I hope it is just another easy fix. Thank you. Slimey

I want to follow up on the "sorry for the bump". The NPCs seem to have stopped. Thank you so much. I still get this message whenever I meet a live character. It seems silly since I will not see this character again during the time I am on. (I try to avoid them like the plaque). Anyway wanted to say it was better but not completely gone. Thanks. Slimey

Quote Originally Posted by Slimey View Post
    I want to follow up on the "sorry for the bump". The NPCs seem to have stopped. Thank you so much. I still get this message whenever I meet a live character. It seems silly since I will not see this character again during the time I am on. (I try to avoid them like the plaque). Anyway wanted to say it was better but not completely gone. Thanks. Slimey
    That's because it only happens the first time you see a character (PC or NPC) on screen. The reason you are no longer seeing the NPCs is because you have seen most/all of them since your last cache clearing, so they are no longer being loaded into memory. I agree with what others have said previously about the "sorry for the bump", keep it. It's a good reminder of why you might be lagging the first time to go into a new city and the bunch of NPCs need to all be loaded at once.
    Chaos: Xingolos PlagueWind (31 Hatchling: 23)---Cilok Magmaborn (retired Lunus Ancient: 100/100/60)---Turacegos Blizzardwing (20 Hatchling: 19)---Bilkur Tinkerton (Gnome adjusting to life on Spirit Isle)

Thread Information