Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Free to Play style

Default Re: New Free to Play style

Maybe level 20 or level 25 for all other species, but at least keep humans forever free with no level restrictions, that the way it was long time, what set it apart from other games.

It depends which server board I think is which.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchDemon View Post
    Keep the forever free option with humans because i dont want to make them feel that they cant play the game and cant raid with me because moneys involved. As long as the 14 day free trial is replaced by the level limit it should be fine.
    I agree to keep the free option for humans, though looking at how they might be implementing the level-cap tech, it might not be possible anymore unless it's a whole other account type ("Free Human" and "Free"). I appreciate that the current humans keep their free account, but I'm left to wonder why it was taken out entirely.

No its about level 20 is wow trial play >> if we going to get tecnical lets make it level 25 the level limit. I just want them to hold onto there character as 20-30 is the part when they keep there character.
    I'm sorry, Arch, but I can't honestly see your logic here. Just because level 20 is WoW's trial level doesn't mean that adapting that will corrupt or hurt Istaria's aim, devs, or community. It's not some poisonous or infectious number - it's just a logical place to stop.

At level 20, you would have gone through the beginner towns (Skalkaar/Spirit Isle and NT) and also the first bigger city (Kion), putting you on track for the rest of the game's content. A lot of Istaria's current content is T2, and opening up until level 25-30 would be just putting too much out there. The game, like it or not, needs revenue to live - the devs, of course, know that and are trying to balance the game and its cost the best they can. It's why Ista isn't F2P or anything - if the devs lose subs, they game itself is likely done for.

Also at level 30 for dragons, as suggested earlier, you would see the "Level 30 adult dragons!!", then just be sitting there wondering if the game was lying to you or bugged when your character is level 30, meets all requirements, but can't get the quest. Or worse, the player would feel tricked and not want to continue playing.

For peds, as others have said earlier, level 20 lets you see the prestige schools and get a basic taste of what you're in for with them. The previous 20 levels gets you into the game and mechanics, then you're left on a cliffhanger of what's to come. Same for dragons, when it comes to content rather than schools. (At level 20 crafting you might be able to just barely touch upon lairshaping, too, but I'm not sure)

@The devs: The current level 15 is great, too, in my opinion, for dragons. You get through the first 2 tutorial islands, then get a basic taste of the first city. While they won't see level 20 or be able to finish all their T1 quests easily, they are able to see a good beginning of the game. I'd be happy with 15, though for reasons stated earlier, I feel level 20 might be a bit of a better cap. (Especially for bipeds).

TL;DR: Level 20 is just right when it comes to content and exposure, but level 30 opens up too much content and could seem deceiving if the RoP isn't available. (Which it shouldn't be to trial-goers, since flying dragons are Ista's selling point) The current lvl 15 for dragons could work as-is and I wouldn't cry if it stayed as such, but I think the peds need a bit of reworking to their cap.

Edit: Also at the devs, thank you for doing this change, though! It's a better way to greet new players and maybe just keep some free people sitting around, for talk or for rp or something, rather than stuck in 'I want to play non-human but I can't play' limbo.
    Last edited by Racktor; September 12th, 2015 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    I agree to keep the free option for humans, though looking at how they might be implementing the level-cap tech, it might not be possible anymore unless it's a whole other account type ("Free Human" and "Free"). I appreciate that the current humans keep their free account, but I'm left to wonder why it was taken out entirely.

I'm sorry, Arch, but I can't honestly see your logic here. Just because level 20 is WoW's trial level doesn't mean that adapting that will corrupt or hurt Istaria's aim, devs, or community. It's not some poisonous or infectious number - it's just a logical place to stop.

At level 20, you would have gone through the beginner towns (Skalkaar/Spirit Isle and NT) and also the first bigger city (Kion), putting you on track for the rest of the game's content. A lot of Istaria's current content is T2, and opening up until level 25-30 would be just putting too much out there. The game, like it or not, needs revenue to live - the devs, of course, know that and are trying to balance the game and its cost the best they can. It's why Ista isn't F2P or anything - if the devs lose subs, they game itself is likely done for.

Also at level 30 for dragons, as suggested earlier, you would see the "Level 30 adult dragons!!", then just be sitting there wondering if the game was lying to you or bugged when your character is level 30, meets all requirements, but can't get the quest. Or worse, the player would feel tricked and not want to continue playing.

For peds, as others have said earlier, level 20 lets you see the prestige schools and get a basic taste of what you're in for with them. The previous 20 levels gets you into the game and mechanics, then you're left on a cliffhanger of what's to come. Same for dragons, when it comes to content rather than schools. (At level 20 crafting you might be able to just barely touch upon lairshaping, too, but I'm not sure)

@The devs: The current level 15 is great, too, in my opinion, for dragons. You get through the first 2 tutorial islands, then get a basic taste of the first city. While they won't see level 20 or be able to finish all their T1 quests easily, they are able to see a good beginning of the game. I'd be happy with 15, though for reasons stated earlier, I feel level 20 might be a bit of a better cap. (Especially for bipeds).

TL;DR: Level 20 is just right when it comes to content and exposure, but level 30 opens up too much content and could seem deceiving if the RoP isn't available. (Which it shouldn't be to trial-goers, since flying dragons are Ista's selling point) The current lvl 15 for dragons could work as-is and I wouldn't cry if it stayed as such, but I think the peds need a bit of reworking to their cap.

Edit: Also at the devs, thank you for doing this change, though! It's a better way to greet new players and maybe just keep some free people sitting around, for talk or for rp or something, rather than stuck in 'I want to play non-human but I can't play' limbo.

Keep forever free humans and ill be happy. you know i think it should be level 21 because isent the biped armor level for iron at level 21? just saying..

I give in 20 is an okay number but i make it 21 so biped characters cant complain that they cant get the next armor set after bronze aka iron

keep forever free humans and a level limit of 21 then ill be happy.
    When the time to eat a knight is to Roast them till there ready as COOKED spam...
    What can i say? im a Classic dragon looking for a free easy meal?
    Or facing my family... Isent always a Wise decision..

I have an idea that might solve this debate.

How about 3 character slots for forever free.

Once you choose human for one of the three slots you cannot choice human again for the other 2 character slots, and the human is forever free with no level restrictions like before.

For that other two you can choice another biped species or a dragon. They have level 20 cap. Thou 21 may be better because its represents the next trophy set, and new tier more accurately than level 20.

In addition none of the character slots are allowed to have lairs or property.

How about the devs start doing level caps in prime numbers. All level caps. Meaning we all can get level 101 max in classes, and the level of mobs must be a prime number and the free trial is level 19 or 23. That way we are totally different to WoW and other games out there. Its all decided by prime numbers.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

Quote Originally Posted by Arzel Rashemi View Post
    How about the devs start doing level caps in prime numbers. All level caps. Meaning we all can get level 101 max in classes, and the level of mobs must be a prime number and the free trial is level 19 or 23. That way we are totally different to WoW and other games out there. Its all decided by prime numbers.
    /sarcasm XD

Keep forever free humans and ill be happy. you know i think it should be level 21 because isent the biped armor level for iron at level 21? just saying..

I give in 20 is an okay number but i make it 21 so biped characters cant complain that they cant get the next armor set after bronze aka iron

keep forever free humans and a level limit of 21 then ill be happy.
    Level 20 simply looks prettier, but I guess for the logic of having t2 armor, 21 would work...? But only for the logic of biped t2 armor.

20 was mostly chosen not for the taste of T2, though, but for the look over the entirety of T1 and access to prestige schools, which unlock at level 20.

Quote Originally Posted by ZyrimShadowheart View Post
    I have an idea that might solve this debate.

How about 3 character slots for forever free.

Once you choose human for one of the three slots you cannot choice human again for the other 2 character slots, and the human is forever free with no level restrictions like before.

For that other two you can choice another biped species or a dragon. They have level 20 cap. Thou 21 may be better because its represents the next trophy set, and new tier more accurately than level 20.

In addition none of the character slots are allowed to have lairs or property.
    While it sounds nice on paper, I very much doubt the devs would want to give three slots to free accounts. Especially considering you can technically just make multiple accounts for more level-locked characters, anyway. Not sure if that's against the rules though, having many accounts.

I can't really get behind wanting 21 for t2 trophies, though. Trophies are usually handed in for experience, not so much coin, which you can farm by killing monsters anyway and just selling the trophies to respective trophy hunters. (I believe anyway) If you can't lvl past 21, what's the point of getting the new trophy set? To look at them? You could google it if you're that curious.

Sorry if I sound sarcastic or snippy here - I'm not trying to, but my many questions kinda look like that, lol

Actually arzel I think 23 is a good number to pick.. its just high enough to gain a couple of levels in prestige classes where as with 20 only really lets you say "ooh look I am KnoC or Ohh Lock now I am a Paladin" 23 would atleast allow a little bit of practice and a little feel of how it works.

However the general prime numbers idea is... interesting... although from 89 to 97 could be a real b***h...
    but hey.. Devs... LETS DO EETT!!

;/ better yet.. lets not
    Last edited by Calyndrell; September 12th, 2015 at 03:07 PM.
    Gwain Drago - Mystic Paladin
    Arzel - Knight of creation/Battlemage
    Aurakvoar - Ancient Lunus

Quote Originally Posted by Arzel Rashemi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Calyndrell View Post
    Actually arzel I think 23 is a good number to pick.. its just high enough to gain a couple of levels in prestige classes where as with 20 only really lets you say "ooh look I am KnoC or Ohh Lock now I am a Paladin" 23 would atleast allow a little bit of practice and a little feel of how it works.

However the general prime numbers idea is... interesting... although from 89 to 97 could be a real b*tch...

;/ better yet.. lets not

You two are ridiculous. xD

I do agree on ZyrimShadowheart's statement, though 20 is still understandable. It could change to either 21 or maybe 25. But the level cap of 20 would be better..and having forever free humans for their level cap to be 20. That would be easy and that is finale. (What a debate here, I am just about to throw a nuke at this conversation.)
    Those who hate, are filled with dishonor.
    But those who have peace in their heart will find a heavenly future.

Level 20 simply looks prettier, but I guess for the logic of having t2 armor, 21 would work...? But only for the logic of biped t2 armor.

20 was mostly chosen not for the taste of T2, though, but for the look over the entirety of T1 and access to prestige schools, which unlock at level 20.

While it sounds nice on paper, I very much doubt the devs would want to give three slots to free accounts. Especially considering you can technically just make multiple accounts for more level-locked characters, anyway. Not sure if that's against the rules though, having many accounts.

I can't really get behind wanting 21 for t2 trophies, though. Trophies are usually handed in for experience, not so much coin, which you can farm by killing monsters anyway and just selling the trophies to respective trophy hunters. (I believe anyway) If you can't lvl past 21, what's the point of getting the new trophy set? To look at them? You could google it if you're that curious.

Sorry if I sound sarcastic or snippy here - I'm not trying to, but my many questions kinda look like that, lol
    You do make a good point about the level 21. I am kind of borderline with that, I think maybe level 20 or even 25 will be better. Once you reach level 25 you do get your first gift slot there is that. But on the other hand tier 2 starts at 20 and the prestige schools but level 25 will give you a taste a least of those schools.

Still I think keeping humans forever free without level restriction may be better to set us apart from other games and make Istaria something unique compared to other games. We need to make Istaria unique as way to attract people coming here, like having something that get people to stay in game and not leave for other MMORPG games.

You two are ridiculous. xD
    Yes we are. This is one of those many times where Cal and I are in complete disagreement with each other. He really believes it should be level 23 and I'm of the opinion that it should stop at 15 or 20. If anyone finds some divorce records that state the reasons as being "Irreconcilable differences over the level cap for free play in an mmo." ... that'll be us.

Quote Originally Posted by Calyndrell View Post
    However the general prime numbers idea is... interesting... although from 89 to 97 could be a real ****...
    But this, yeah this is totally agreed with. They should consider it with those prime numbers! That level jump just sounds like a real challenge! XD
    Last edited by Arzel Rashemi; September 12th, 2015 at 03:03 PM.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

Western North America, near a fault and far from volcanoes.

I agree with Kida, 30 is too high. I think the limit should be something over 20 -- either 21, 22, or 23. I think the devs should pick that number by considering the number of quest chains a player could start; at 20, there's too much a sense of completion. At 21-23, the player will be in the middle of quest chains (it's the cliffhanger ploy, used to sell serial novels and other stories since the 1800s).
    --
    Daulnay
    Tamlis Askereth, Saris, Order
    Thorncloud Moonskimmer, Dragon, Order

Quote Originally Posted by Daulnay View Post
    I agree with Kida, 30 is too high. I think the limit should be something over 20 -- either 21, 22, or 23. I think the devs should pick that number by considering the number of quest chains a player could start; at 20, there's too much a sense of completion. At 21-23, the player will be in the middle of quest chains (it's the cliffhanger ploy, used to sell serial novels and other stories since the 1800s).
    I'd say 23 might be a good level then, the first bit of the Skulk Threat quests has passed then, and the larger bit of the Plundered Tombs questline has to start yet. (which, let's be honest, is the biggest point of T2 atm)

Quote Originally Posted by meepsa View Post
    I'd say 23 might be a good level then, the first bit of the Skulk Threat quests has passed then, and the larger bit of the Plundered Tombs questline has to start yet. (which, let's be honest, is the biggest point of T2 atm)
    Yeah, I think 23 but what would level 25 do?

25 is pushing it imo but 21 sounds good so they can still equip t2 armor.

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

Quote Originally Posted by Salwirk View Post
    30 is pushing it but 25 may be better than 20. Maybe 25 for biped and 20 for dragons?

Quote Originally Posted by Salwirk View Post
    Keep forever free humans.

Remove/replace the 14day trial with the level 21 all races. thats what i can say as a good idea.. if you restrict gameplay with locks i cant reccamend the game to my oldschool buddies.. already now they dont wanna play because they got rid of the forever free option

They like races allowing but they would perfer the forever free humans though. so yep im sorry they dont like the restrictions of such a low level and now the forever free is gone i cant promote the game to anyone anymore. *trys to advoid the f-bomb* thats another 20-40 players gone i was also going to attract players from the renasonce fair to istaria but now i cant

Please dont let greed kill this game devs. otherwise i cant help you get players.
    When the time to eat a knight is to Roast them till there ready as COOKED spam...
    What can i say? im a Classic dragon looking for a free easy meal?
    Or facing my family... Isent always a Wise decision..

already now they dont wanna play because they got rid of the forever free option

They like races allowing but they would perfer the forever free humans though. so yep im sorry they dont like the restrictions of such a low level and now the forever free is gone i cant promote the game to anyone anymore. *trys to advoid the f-bomb* thats another 20-40 players gone i was also going to attract players from the renasonce fair to istaria but now i cant
    I don't believe you. That forever-free option was there for YEARS, if you were actually interested in bringing new players and if your friends were actually interested in trying the game, they would have already been playing by now.

Stop lying to try and manipulate others into agreeing with you.

"Our ancestors came down from the heavens and proudly reigned over the land they had created."

I'm a freeloading* Human and I 100% agree with this model. I often take a while to settle into a race/class/playstyle choice that I like within RPGs, and this approach offers the ability to do that as long as you need. It also leaves a TON of features (prestige schools, plots, RoP, etc.) that make the game worth buying a sub..

* - Just on this account. I happily pay for my daughter's Dryad and will probably move this account to paid when I can afford a plot =P
    Conodar Banestorm (Human)
    24 Shaman, 34 Spellcrafter/12 Blacksmith

Thread Information