Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Istaria and high CPU usage

Default Istaria and high CPU usage

For some reason the past few days my CPU usage has been very high when I play Istaria I have done a full scan from ESET Smart Security, CCleaner and Malwarebytes and this system is clean. Actually done it several times.
    My CPU usage is from 1-7% without Istaria running. At the blue sky on logging in (see the attached pics below)
    "istaria loading01.png" it shows 80% and then fully logged in with character visible in pic 'istaria loaded.png' its from 79-84% and stays like that. The game is choppy when moving around.
    I have disabled quite a few of the processes in the Task Manager but it made no difference.
    I was wondering if anybody else is having the same issue?
    Greatly appreciate any replies stating what your cpu usage is when Istaria is running also.

cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Istaria and high CPU usage

Have to post a reply to upload the 2nd pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by TheRock View Post
    Greatly appreciate any replies stating what your cpu usage is when Istaria is running also.

cheers
    Going to chime in here, my CPU usage on start-up and in the first few hours or so is roughly 30%, just checked it now after being online for about 5 hours and it's currently averaging about 55%.

Thank you Meepsa I would settle for that but not with mine lol. I just tried installing a fresh copy of Istaria on a separate drive and logged in to find the cpu usage was still the same. So that rules out my original copy being glitched
    I am going to try to install Istaria on my wife's laptop when it becomes available to me

cheers

I second this. I have the same problem, however, it only started when I installed windows 10 and the CPU usage goes all the way up to the maximum. Limiting fps to 15 helps reduce the load a bit, but I still get 70-80%. Before, with windows 7 I always had 45-60% CPU load. Kind of annoying to be honest.

Good point vencedor. TheRock, If I am right you're on Win10, too?
    That may be a hint for the devs, maybe there's some issue on 10 only. Could you give more information about your system aswell? I think cpu, ram, os, istaria's install folder should be a good start

I'm playing on win7 without problems. Pretty much the same Meepsa is running at. 50% cpu at a max, able to play on two clients in parallel without any graphical or cpu issues.
    Last edited by Elteria; October 11th, 2015 at 09:04 PM. Reason: More info

------------------
    Istaria Lexica | Istaria Reference

I am by no means technically able to address this Istaria/Windows 10 issue; however, in making a few web searches I have noted that Windows 10 High CPU issues are often related to an application's driver(s) being incompatible with Windows 10. Should this in fact be the issue of importance to OP's dilemma, the following Microsoft link may contain useful information for our developers (and perhaps tech savvy members of the community) to confirm if there is such a driver problem and, if so, to possibly address it.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/win.../dn913721.aspx

Knossos

On windows 10, mine was hovering around 53-55% for first 10 mins. Then dropped down to 44-47% avg. I do play with music off (but not sounds). Playing in Window mode with Graphic/Detail/Max view distance to max settings. Shadows turned off.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Thank you all for the replies. I will look into that link Knossos, thanks
    I have been running Windows 10 since it was officially released and I have been testing the TP version of Windows 10 before that with Istaria and it went very smooth up until a few days ago. Tried many things but none working yet. I played the game yesterday for a while but was a bit choppy
    My system is a Asus P5E3 Deluxe x38 Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor, 8 GB ram, Radeon HD 6850 PCIE PSU is 1000w running Window 10 Pro. Resolution set at 1920x1080.
    Istaria installed on C:\ Program Files (x86) folder the default way it installs.
    I haven't changed my settings in Istaria since I installed it fresh when I done a fresh install of Windows 10 on July 30th. I set the options to half for video setting. I can slide them to minimal to test next time I log in.
    The latest applications I have installed are ccleaner in august and malware bytes a couple days ago to scan my system. Last windows update was KB3093266 on Oct.01. I have updates set to manual and read the forums to see if anyone is having problems before I allow them.
    I will do some more testing later today.

cheers

Installed Istaria on the i3 acer laptop and the cpu usage is only 41-50. Well that's good news anyways. Still searching for answers with my desktop, so not giving up yet

Better get into touch with the devs directly (Ticket). I'm very sure there is some problem within Windows 10 on the client. If they get the opportunity to have a look into that it's sure a benefit, for future issues aswell.

------------------

I have to go out of town today so I will send in a ticket when I return

For me, back in the single core cpu days, Horizons always kept the cpu at 100%. Once dual core cpu's came out, the horizons.exe process would always sit at 50%, which is still 100% of 1 core. With other processes added in, total cpu useage would always be around 55 to 65%, which is 50% plus whatever else the pc is doing.

These days with 4 or more cores and hyperthreading, the istaria.exe process by itself will likely sit at 25% or 12.5% all the time, but i'm at work and can't verify what mine is doing on the current client.

Something needs to be done about this. on normal computer usage, web browsing, streaming (Netflix, Hulu, ect..) my CPU usage is at most 40% but Istaria spikes it up to 100%. And my computer`s cooling fan goes nutso. I ended every process not vital to running Windows, and Istaria, not difference.
    Here`s my computer`s current specs
    HDD:1TB
    RAM: 8GB DDR3
    Video Card: NVidia GeForce GT 630 "9200NVidia" (1GB speed) gaming card.
    CPU: AMD II X2 255 (3100hz) processor (8192MB memory) dual core
    internet speed: AT&T wired 60MB/S broadband

all drivers are up to date. including Java, and DirectX.
    so plenty over minimum specs. There`s no reason why an MMORPG should eat up CPU this bad. All my other games don`t do this. not even Skyrim, or Second Life. and they are heavy on RAM, and graphics. :O

I don`t know if maybe Windows 7 is considered out of date for Istaria maybe, my Windows 10 laptop doesn`t do this. and it`s no where near as game ready as my desktop (specs listed in recent post)
    I was tempted to upgrade to a quad core CPU, but I was told by a few players, it wouldn`t make any difference, and if Istaria eats 2 cores 100%, it would do the same with 4. :P
    But if anyone can test this, and give me some feedback, and/or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am on Win7 using a small Intel quad core and I'm playing with two accounts on two monitors without any issues, full performance settings of course. Works very well besides the typical istarian crashing issue. Looking at your rig I'd say you shouldn't have any performance issues with istaria. CPU if far more than enough for that oldie and all the other shiny things are very well, aswell . I also played Istaria on a much slower Laptop compared to your rig and had no problems beside the slow graphics of course

Go for it. It's worth a try.

------------------

@Darkwing
    Our laptop is a Windows 7 Home Premium x64 i3 Acer 2GB ram and Istaria only runs from 41-50% and like you it is far below my desktop specs. On my desktop I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro (8.1) and no trouble with Istaria. And recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and no trouble with Istaria. Now this past week Istaria is gone hog cpu on me lol. Sometimes my fps is 3-10 and that makes it impossible to play. Normally my fps is 20-25 which is fine. Going to send in a ticket to see if they can help.
    Good luck Darkwing

Quote Originally Posted by TheRock View Post
    @Darkwing
    Our laptop is a Windows 7 Home Premium x64 i3 Acer 2GB ram and Istaria only runs from 41-50% and like you it is far below my desktop specs. On my desktop I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro (8.1) and no trouble with Istaria. And recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and no trouble with Istaria. Now this past week Istaria is gone hog cpu on me lol. Sometimes my fps is 3-10 and that makes it impossible to play. Normally my fps is 20-25 which is fine. Going to send in a ticket to see if they can help.
    Good luck Darkwing
    yeah might be worth a shot. I`ve noticed the CPU hogging shortly after the last blight to live patch. (the one that added machine storage, can`t recall the number )
    seems a pretty common issue though. might just have to wait until a fix patch is released.

Young hot rods!
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Windows XP Home Service Pack 3
    Pentium IV 3.6 GHz Hyperthreading
    2GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

aaannnd, CPU running at 100%
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Thread Information