Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Istaria and high CPU usage

Default Re: Istaria and high CPU usage

Istaria will always use one core as much as possible. When people talk about FPS (frames per second), what they're really talking about is how many operations their computer can do per second. A faster processor will do more, while a slower processor will do less - Istaria will always try to do as much as possible, as a higher frame rate is usually considered "good".

A recent update to Istaria removed a throttle in the network layer so that network messages would be processed more quickly. For some players, they would see Istaria using more of the processor.

Players with a very fast processor but a video card that is proportionally slower might find that their CPU is never used 100%. This is because the choke point for performance is within the graphics system of their computer. The processor does some work for the rendering frame, then hands it off to the graphics card. If the graphics card is slower than the processor (enough slower), the CPU will sit around "waiting" for the graphics card to finish. This would result in the CPU looking under utilized. This situation is most common on laptops.

Please take note that most modern processors have multiple cores. The concept of a process using % CPU is an old concept from the days when computers had one processor (with only one core) and software was single threaded. When a program has work to perform on a core, it is always executed as fast as the processor can do the work. Because Istaria is a rendering program and mostly single threaded, it always has work to do - as doing more work means a higher frame rate. For a computer with 2 cores, Istaria will show 50% utilization (100% on one core and 0% on the other core). From microsecond to microsecond, work will be done on one or the other core, but almost never on both at the same time. The exception to this is during loading, which is multithreaded and could likely use all the cores available.
    Last edited by Yfelvik; October 19th, 2015 at 04:39 AM.

*confused* So with one core, if the Windows Task Manager shows utilization of 25% for Istaria, something is wrong?
    *does not really understand the technical stuff, has no clue how to multi-core*

Hi Yfelvik,
    thanks for your heads up, but that's of no help on TheRocks situation. You must admit that, with his current rig, it has to be possible to play Istaria without or almost without graphics lag, network lag, cpu lag. His computer is powered enough to play at high settings and he did for a whole time.

There is an issue. Please take care of it.

@awdz: No there's nothing wrong then. It's just a hint that your graphics card is slow and your cpu starts yawning at it

------------------
    Istaria Lexica | Istaria Reference

@Yfelvik I have 2 cores and Istaria shows 79-84% and I just tried setting the Affinity for istaria.exe to use only one core. First I disabled " 0 core" and in the Processes it showed 45-47% but it flashed several times "Istria not responding" and fps went to 4-8% and choppy(not playable). Then I enabled "0 core" and disabled "1 core" and exact same thing happened. When I enabled both cores for Istria.exe my cpu went back to 79-82% and fps went to around 16 and game was smother. Why didn't my one core not go to 100%? I read on google search that some people do that but didn't work for me
    I know little about how they work and the more I dig into it and follow instructions on how to test it tends to confuse me lol.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    has no clue how to multi-core*
    You're much better off not making any changes. Your computer's operating system has a special piece of software called a process scheduler and it generally makes good choices on how to execute a program. The exception to this is with some very old software with particular design characteristics. Istaria is a multi-threaded application and gets good benefit from running on multiple cores.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRock View Post
    I have 2 cores and Istaria shows 79-84% and I just tried setting the Affinity for istaria.exe to use only one core. First I disabled " 0 core" and in the Processes it showed 45-47% but it flashed several times "Istria not responding" and fps went to 4-8% and choppy(not playable)... Why didn't my one core not go to 100%?
    That's a bit strange that your frame rate dropped, but something was being starved for resources. Usually when a process cpu % is reported, it's a percentage of the whole. With 2 cores fully utilized, that's 100%. One core utilized would be 50%, so your report of 45%-47% sounds about right. Istaria is a multithreaded application, so perhaps asset loading or networking was being starved (for some reason). All I can say for sure is that Istaria is not a good candidate for setting affinity and will run better with at least 2 cores.

Rock's system is a pretty good setup and I would expect a higher frame rate. Perhaps it's related to graphic settings, or other settings. Istaria is quite liberal with what can be configured. While it's nice to be able to configure all the options and make decisions between quality of graphics vs frame rate, that can also be a bit complicated too. We've got a KB article on configuring graphics option. I'm linking below, in case someone else is reading this thread. I've also sent that link to Rock in his customer support ticket:
    https://support.istaria.com/index.ph...code=view&id=6

Thank you I will look into it

Just telling that on my computer (8 cores) Istaria usually takes 2 cores completely (25% usage in total). As there are still 75% left it's not bothering me so far.
    Research Assistant Pharaxes Sphaerideion (started playing 2007-09-08, ascended 2008-06-15)
    Dragon Adventurer: 100 (2009-01-05) Dragon Crafter: 100 (prior 2008-06-04)
    Dragon Crystalshaper: 100 (2013-12-21) Dragon Lairshaper: 100 (2013-09-28)

@Pharaxes you are sailing along smooth for sure.
    I would like to thank the Dev Team for looking into my situation and helping Maybe not much can be done with my cpu problem yet. But a suggestion was made to change Shadow Details to Blob Shadow only. I logged in yesterday and noticed my fps are mostly from 15-20 in Harro and 24-34 fps outside and running around. I can actually put my Max View Distance to half way with those fps. That is the best I have ever experienced in Istaria. I am hoping it will continue to do that from now on. I can live with that until I find a better solution.

cheers

Shadow does play a part in performance. I noticed when I play with full shadows, my performance is severely degragaded. Blob isn't so bad. But I play with them off alltogether.

I also play with weather/sky effects off and I get a huge peformance increase (/setpref environmentsystemeffects false ).

I've got a mediocre system. Quad core i5, only 4Gb Ram. A 10 year old Geforce 8400 GS w/128Ram, broken fan for past 3 years).

I get 55-60fps all the time, when standing still. In a heavy duty graphic area with tons of mobs moving, it will drop to about 35-40 fps. Anchors, I might drop to 20-25, only because there is 20+ mobs. It's weird how sometimes great systems perform below sub-par systems. For Nvidia users, it's best to choose the default settings, under Nvidia Control Panel. Any tweaks usually makes things worse.

https://support.istaria.com/index.ph...ode=view&id=69

This is if you want to try higher performance, but I use the above
    https://support.istaria.com/index.ph...ode=view&id=24
    Last edited by Cegaiel; October 17th, 2015 at 03:53 PM.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

I have a i7-3770S CPU (8 cores), 16GB of RAM at 1600MHz, a GeForce GTX 660 with 2GB VRAM.

Right now I'm in Bristugo not moving a bit and I'm around 35FPS. Though I do have view distance at maxest possible (I think 1000 in the def file). Might have to do something with it.
    Research Assistant Pharaxes Sphaerideion (started playing 2007-09-08, ascended 2008-06-15)
    Dragon Adventurer: 100 (2009-01-05) Dragon Crafter: 100 (prior 2008-06-04)
    Dragon Crystalshaper: 100 (2013-12-21) Dragon Lairshaper: 100 (2013-09-28)

It depends which server board I think is which.

Just to throw into this, I have 4 cores - intel i7 3770 @ 3.4GHz. nVidia GTX 750 Ti

Single-boxing I get 70-110 FPS, dual-boxing I get 60-80 FPS. I haven't checked my CPU usage, however.

I play on highest graphics, highest view distance, highest detail, maybe highest ground clutter, and blob shadows. Fabric physics is off but I have no idea if you can even turn it on these days.

It's also original max view distance btw, not the lower cap these days.. I think.

@Racktor
    You are so Lucky to get those results.

Thread Information