Thread: A thank you, a greeting, and a question

Default A thank you, a greeting, and a question

"Istaria?" I uttered to myself as I made a quick google search while stood in front of the giant Second Life vendor. The retail chain in the virtual world sold avatars -characters- that would make you look like a giant feral dragon of a verity of sizes... something certainly impressive for that world; and suspended just above the vendor hung a sign "Proud Supporter of Istaria! The Only MMO where you can play as a dragon!" it claimed. "I've never heard of that one."

I'm still a young guy, been around since SWG first released and have floated through a chain of disappointing MMOs since as I held out hope that I might find another virtual world and sandbox that would tick all my boxes, after nearly 10 years of aimlessly wandering through MMOs I was happy with my choices but I was never truly satisfied.... But I digress. This 'Istaria' was something I'd never heard of, and I didn't hold out much hope.

I downloaded the program, activated a trial account and made a dragon on the RP world known as Order. My initial impression was mixed. Graphically the game looked pretty average, character models were a bit lacking but the world was decent enough and I found the new player tutorial guided me well enough, even if there was a lot of back and forth. A short while later I found myself in the besieged town of New Trismus and chatting to a few other older dragons who were more than eager to guide me and help me. I have, however forgotten your names. You were both ancient dragons, both purple and I think both member of the same guild which I think was the Scions of Order. One of you gave me some items for my horde and it's you two I would like to personally extend my thanks to.

You've convinced me that this aging MMO is worth my time, that it's not a skin deep MMO and it's hitting all the things I wanted out of an MMO since I was burnt by SOE all those years ago. I hope one day I can adventure along side you, fight by your side and repay the debt I feel I now owe you for getting me started here in such a positive way.

I would also like to extend my praise to Racktor, I think, for informative videos on youtube. That kind of promotion is rare.

For now though, I do have a question: On the island of New Trismus, is there anything specific I should be doing? When is a good time for me to move on? Should I treat this with a more open mind and try and cast off my ideas about MMOs in a modern setting (Quests with their content 10 feet away and quick drop rates?) The reason I ask is that all I seem to be doing is running back and forth killing those pesky beetles down on the beach.

Once again, thank you Istaria players of Order. Because of your introduction to the game, conversations and assistance, you got one more player into your server.

It depends which server board I think is which.

Default Re: A thank you, a greeting, and a question

Quote Originally Posted by Gillanius Eadesseo View Post
    I downloaded the program, activated a trial account and made a dragon on the RP world known as Order. My initial impression was mixed. Graphically the game looked pretty average, character models were a bit lacking but the world was decent enough and I found the new player tutorial guided me well enough, even if there was a lot of back and forth. A short while later I found myself in the besieged town of New Trismus and chatting to a few other older dragons who were more than eager to guide me and help me. I have, however forgotten your names. You were both ancient dragons, both purple and I think both member of the same guild which I think was the Scions of Order. One of you gave me some items for my horde and it's you two I would like to personally extend my thanks to.
    I think you might've run into Lovwyrm and someone who I literally just hunted with but I can't remember.. Keziah? I believe they're both in Scions and are the only two purple ancients I know that stick together.

You've convinced me that this aging MMO is worth my time, that it's not a skin deep MMO and it's hitting all the things I wanted out of an MMO since I was burnt by SOE all those years ago. I hope one day I can adventure along side you, fight by your side and repay the debt I feel I now owe you for getting me started here in such a positive way.

I would also like to extend my praise to Racktor, I think, for informative videos on youtube. That kind of promotion is rare.
    Glad to hear I helped It's one of the things I'm here for

For now though, I do have a question: On the island of New Trismus, is there anything specific I should be doing? When is a good time for me to move on? Should I treat this with a more open mind and try and cast off my ideas about MMOs in a modern setting (Quests with their content 10 feet away and quick drop rates?) The reason I ask is that all I seem to be doing is running back and forth killing those pesky beetles down on the beach.

Once again, thank you Istaria players of Order. Because of your introduction to the game, conversations and assistance, you got one more player into your server.
    Considering you were attracted by SL's dragons, I'm going to assume you are playing a dragon? If so, you can move off of NT once your tutorial quests are one. The quests in Kion (the next city) start at level 10. From there at around level 20, you're guided to Chiconis and Dralk where your ability quests will be given from then on. As for bipeds, I think you can technically move off when you're around level 10 in whatever school you may be in. I'm not too well-versed on them, but I know that Kion is basically level 10+ and might have some quests for a bit lower levels. I know my ped is lvl 12 and hasn't gone through most of NT's quests just yet, even.

As for MMOs in a modern setting, you surely aren't going to find everything 10 feet from the quest giver! For drops, it can take multiple days, if not weeks, to gather up the components for a high-level armor set. Leveling is equally slow and can take many months to reach max level on a dragon and even many years to reach max rating on a biped.

Most quests you'll find for dragons will be ability quests which guide you to kill X of Y (usually 20 of some mob theme - treants for Dragon's Reach, golems for Tooth and Claw, etc). A good example is the level 100 quest "Tooth and Claw X" which, I believe, asks you to kill Travertine Golems. They're way, way ,waaay away from Dralk (far northwest) north of the Eastern Deadlands (middle eastern lands). Portals are your best friend.

Story quests will usually send you around to one NPC after another, sometimes sending you off to kill a few mobs and return. A good example is the Valor and Vigilance questline in NT.

I'm not sure on biped quests but I know nothing is 10 feet from the quest giver beyond tutorials, haha.

Welcome to Istaria, though, and I hope you enjoy your stay! I'm on Order as well (as you might know?), but I don't log on as often as I used to. If I do, I'm usually on my main Racktor or my alt Siria. Glad to have you on our shard

Welcome to Istaria!

I'm not so sure how things work on Order shard, I assume it's the same as Chaos (the one I'm more familiar with). But most players join the Market channel as a "world" chat channel. The name implies it's for, well of course Market business. But don't be shy to chat or say Hello in there. You'll likely find the highest population in there.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Very warm welcome from me, too!
    To extend Ceg's answer, most Order people are in Market channel so if you've got heavy chat-needs that's the one. Else there are some guild chats aswell. Just browse through the channel list to get an idea which ones are populated.

------------------
    Istaria Lexica | Istaria Reference

Welcome to Istaria and a big welcome to Order, Feel free to call on me for anything in game.

"Istaria?" I uttered to myself as I made a quick google search while stood in front of the giant Second Life vendor. The retail chain in the virtual world sold avatars -characters- that would make you look like a giant feral dragon of a verity of sizes... something certainly impressive for that world; and suspended just above the vendor hung a sign "Proud Supporter of Istaria! The Only MMO where you can play as a dragon!" it claimed. "I've never heard of that one."

I'm still a young guy, been around since SWG first released and have floated through a chain of disappointing MMOs since as I held out hope that I might find another virtual world and sandbox that would tick all my boxes, after nearly 10 years of aimlessly wandering through MMOs I was happy with my choices but I was never truly satisfied.... But I digress. This 'Istaria' was something I'd never heard of, and I didn't hold out much hope.

Welcome to istaria.. the grapics are getting updated last i was told so theres somkething to look foward to.. Also.. Order may have a low population but the community is what makes the game shine.. Heck even the devs treat everyone equely and you may even run into one.. aka Gold name text above character.. They play with the community.. Im on the Chaos server.. I used to be in the order server like 3 times lol Swap characters and such till i settled in on chaos.. and to this day i remain as the most Heavily armored dragon in chaos with an armor of 3500-3600 Armor Anyway.. Nice to meet an old Everquest player!
    When the time to eat a knight is to Roast them till there ready as COOKED spam...
    What can i say? im a Classic dragon looking for a free easy meal?
    Or facing my family... Isent always a Wise decision..

Thread Information