Thread: Istarian Challenges

Default Istarian Challenges

For a while now I've been trying to do what I consider a personal challenge, and whilst working on it I thought "hey, why not see what kind of challenges other players have come up with? and share them on a board."

So, I'll start with my number 1 challenge, which I still have to complete.
    _____

The Independent Biped

Summary: The Independent Biped challenge is more of a playstyle rather than a challenge, but with the goal of max rating it can very easily be turned into one. The basic gist is that you create a biped (any race is allowed), and try to level it to max rating (or choose between max craft or max adv) without any outside help.

Rules:
    • No help from other players while adventuring. (No grouping/powerleveling)*
    • No boosting adventure levels through trophies gathered with an alt or other player. You are allowed to grind out trophies as your independent biped, ofcourse.
    • No materials gathered by an alt or other player. Every bit of ore, wood, essence, etc. has to be gathered by yourself.**
    • No buying of items on the consigners, or recieved straight from other players. This includes everything.
    • No gold recieved from an alt or other player.

You are ofcourse allowed to:
    • Participate in chat channels. (boy would it become boring quickly if you weren't)
    • Help other players out crafting wise (gear, discs, etc., if you are the one gathering the materials) and adventure (if you yourself gain no xp from it anymore), as long as you are doing it without being rewarded.

_____
    *The only exception for this is Epic hunt groups.
    **If a quest requires you to gather an item a biped normally cannot/requires a dragon's help for to get, then this is overruled.

_____
    This challenge can ofcourse be applied to a dragon (RoP and ARoP being a few instances where grouping would be allowed), however, I chose to keep bipeds the main focus of this because of the much larger amount of content they have access to.

_____
    I do think I've covered everything now, but if something feels off feel free to message me about it. That being said, what are your (personal) challenges?
    Last edited by meepsa; February 9th, 2016 at 08:48 PM.

Default Re: Istarian Challenges

Another one I heard from a friend.
    ___
    The Ungifted

Summary: Play your character is if they never recieved the gift.

Rules:
    • You are not allowed to recall. Using teleport scrolls is fine.
    • As an extension of not being allowed to recall, you are only allowed to be rezzed from death, not recall to a shrine. (or, if you want, you could make this a permadeath challenge.)*

*Deaths caused by game bugs do not neccesarily count.

I am going to try the challenge in your first post with a Mage/Scholar combination. Only 2 changes to the way you are doing it: I'm not using consigners at all (I'm on Blight, where there isn't anything to buy anyway) and I started with 1 gold, just to be able to buy a set of starter armor/weapon from Frelic in New Trismus, and buy formulas to allow me to make my starting spells. Everything else is totally independent of any other character. Just getting started on this, so it's going to be a long haul

I've done a permadeath character in other games (never made it very high level), but I've never tried it in Istaria. Might give that some thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerech View Post
    I am going to try the challenge in your first post with a Mage/Scholar combination. Only 2 changes to the way you are doing it: I'm not using consigners at all (I'm on Blight, where there isn't anything to buy anyway) and I started with 1 gold, just to be able to buy a set of starter armor/weapon from Frelic in New Trismus, and buy formulas to allow me to make my starting spells. Everything else is totally independent of any other character. Just getting started on this, so it's going to be a long haul

I've done a permadeath character in other games (never made it very high level), but I've never tried it in Istaria. Might give that some thought.
    the consigner rule is in the basic challenge too the 1 starting gold might actually be a nice addition (here's me wishing we could edit posts for longer than just the first 30 minutes of it being posted >.<)

Good luck on your challenge run!

I dunno about challenge but there is a kinda dumb thing i do with my hatchies:

Solo RoP Competition/Challenge

Of course, the rop is easy to solo if you level high enough! But that isn't the point here.

Goal: Complete the RoP solo at the lowest adventure level/skill possible.

Description: If it wasn't already clear, this is more of a competition for bragging rights. Doing it with a level 100 hatchie is very possible and easy....but what of doing it with a level 60? This is predominantly an adventure orientated challenge of course because it is already possible to do the rop with 20 craft.

The idea is to do the RoP alone as weak as possible. You're free to have 100 craft and use t5 scales, or t4 scales for challenge reasons, whatever you wanna wear so long as it complies with the rules. Of course, though, the better equipped your character is...the less challenging the RoP is, and the further from the goal you stray!

"Skill" is a general term i'm using for the combined stats and abilities gotten from adventure levels, equipment and quested abilites. For example, a level 50 adventuer wearing t3 scales has less "skill" than a level 50 adventurer wearing t5 scales. Similarly, a level 50 adventurer with a teir 5 gold rage has a higher skill than a level 50 with a teir 4 gold rage, you get the idea. The lower the skill required for the RoP, the better.

Rules & Stuff:
    - No fighting aid with anything on the rop - not the end bosses, not the entombed dragon...not anything. All fighting must be done alone, and of course, no healers allowed either.

- Crafting help is allowed. It's totally fine to have someone else supply all crafting materials or even crafting scales.

- Any combination of adventure/craft levels is allowed..but be aware that being 100 craft and using t5 scales makes you stronger than you could be, the idea here is to complete it alone as weak as it possibly can be done.

- The same adventure scaleset must be worn throughout the entire thing.* (keyword: adventure scaleset. sets used to get crafting skill for crafty parts is not counted in this, and it is totally allowed to change to a crafting set so long as the adventure set used for fighting mobs remains the same.)

- Leveling up during the rite is allowed. Whether from xp awared by the questline itself or from grinding levels/literally any other way you level up, it is allowed! Again, though, this would result in a higher skill.

- There are no restrictions on attunements, routes, methods to do anything. The quirkier the way to do something so that you actually survive the better.

*Exceptions to this rule come within optional thingers:

- If the scaleset for all mobs except Seliena/Shadow Dragon respectively has remained the same but you find it impossible to beat them, it is allowed to upgrade to a better scaleset....of course, be aware that this means you fight them at a higher skill so you are not as close to the goal.

- The "I Have Nothing Else To Do Rule" is optional too - fight all mobs at the same level (discounting levels gained from exp given by RoP questline) but with the weakest scaleset possible for that mob. For example one may fight lem the cold in a t4 scaleset, but may fight the redbacked spiders needed in the helian rite in a t3 scaleset. The weaker the set/skill for a given mob, the better.

The Parkour Challenge

Summary: The goal here is to get to places you wouldn't normally be able to get, the harder it is to get there, the better!

Rules:
    • Flying is not allowed under any circumstances, that means only bipeds and hatchlings can be used for this challenge. Khutits do not count because you can always cheat and swap forms to fly.
    • Hatchlings are allowed to glide, however you can only use gliding to reach difficult areas or small targets. Gliding 30m from a cliff to a roof wouldn't count here but gliding from a cliff out in Char and successfully landing on one of the rare burnt trees out there would count. Difficulty is the deciding factor here, if you got there in one attempt, it probably doesn't count.
    • Anything that boosts speed or velocity is allowed, those things DO influence how far forward you go while falling and gliding.
    • Creative use of the /setscale command is encouraged. Make yourself larger or smaller to reach different spots, shrink obstacles, make something bigger to make a bridge or make a jump possible.
    • Bonus points for sticking a landing on something tiny, landing on the tip of a spike for example.
    • Take screenshots! If you can't prove you got there, you didn't get there.

Examples:

On the roof of a building in Sslanis, /setscale was a huge help to getting here.

On the head of the dragon statue outside the entrance to Helian's Tomb, spent the better part of an hour trying to make the jump correctly... turns out you can't walk from the back onto the head, have to jump from the neck onto an earfin.

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

Thread Information