Thread: Aligning wall segments on a plot

Default Aligning wall segments on a plot

I am trying to lay out a stone wall and it's about to drive me crazy.

For example, left to right, I have: a cornerstone, 20 meter wall, arch, 20 meter wall, cornerstone

In the planning window, I move them around and align them so there is no visible gap, but they don't overlap. I am using a step size of 10 which seems to work pretty well in aligning things

But when I start to click "Build" on the individual pieces, I get messages that they overlap. What's strange is I get a message that the 20 meter wall overlaps the other 20 meter wall, and they are not even next to each other. Usually I can nudge a piece 1 pixel here or there and make it work, but sometimes not. And once you click "Build" you can't see if the pieces still have no gap until you actually build the thing.

Are there some tricks to aligning wall pieces without going insane, and without leaving gaps between them?

Default Re: Aligning wall segments on a plot

Quote Originally Posted by Kerech View Post
    I am trying to lay out a stone wall and it's about to drive me crazy.

For example, left to right, I have: a cornerstone, 20 meter wall, arch, 20 meter wall, cornerstone

In the planning window, I move them around and align them so there is no visible gap, but they don't overlap. I am using a step size of 10 which seems to work pretty well in aligning things

But when I start to click "Build" on the individual pieces, I get messages that they overlap. What's strange is I get a message that the 20 meter wall overlaps the other 20 meter wall, and they are not even next to each other. Usually I can nudge a piece 1 pixel here or there and make it work, but sometimes not. And once you click "Build" you can't see if the pieces still have no gap until you actually build the thing.

Are there some tricks to aligning wall pieces without going insane, and without leaving gaps between them?
    I'm sure there's some ways, but one thing that popped in my head the moment you said:

And once you click "Build" you can't see if the pieces still have no gap until you actually build the thing.
    was, "build" one section, then fully build it, and then start planning more, it's definately a long way around as you'd have to do it for each, individual, bit of wall, and I'm sure there's propably some better ways, but this is just my 2c

Quote Originally Posted by meepsa View Post
    "build" one section, then fully build it, and then start planning more
    That's not a bad idea. I will give that a try. Thanks

only problem with that i can see, you might get to the end and the last piece wont fit with no gap without overlapping another piece.

If when you go to build and it says overlaps and you can "nudge" it 1 "pixel" and it will fit, shouldn't show any gap once built, shouldn't at least.

Yea, I got several of them to work by the 1 pixel nudge. But one piece was taking several nudges, so I was worried about creating a gap.

I am going to try building one section at a time and see how that works. I have a few meters to spare if I have to nudge them, so hopefully it will all still fit

Thread Information