Thread: Greetings, from a new face.

Default Greetings, from a new face.

Hello all,

As the title states.. I recently found out about Istaria and decided to give this old game a go. I am from the UO/DAoC days, so I am not a stranger to older graphics/gameplay.

I find these older games tend to have a GREAT community that is tight knit and helpful, so that is what I am hoping to find here.

If requested I can post more info about myself, but for now I will leave it at: Happy to be here, and look forward to seeing some of you in-game! Any advice/tips would be welcomed as well.

- Ramsay

It depends which server board I think is which.

Default Re: Greetings, from a new face.

Hey Ramsay, welcome to the game!

Tips I can't really think of without knowing what you play, but general things would be:
    - Never be afraid to ask for help or ask questions! Not everything's clear.
    - Your best resources are Istaria Reference, Istaria Lexica, and Istaria Wiki, depending on which you prefer and what has what information.
    - The map pack is an awesome mod if you don't want to find everything yourself
    - If you find a bug, report it through support. The devs are always super responsive and helpful with tracking it down if it can be fixed

Hmm, can't think of anything else right now... other than have patience? :P

Welcome Ramsay Be sure to join the New Player Assistance channel, its great for questions, and finding others to group with.

Welcome, taking a break from GoT?

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    Hey Ramsay, welcome to the game!

Tips I can't really think of without knowing what you play, but general things would be:
    - Never be afraid to ask for help or ask questions! Not everything's clear.
    - Your best resources are Istaria Reference, Istaria Lexica, and Istaria Wiki, depending on which you prefer and what has what information.
    - The map pack is an awesome mod if you don't want to find everything yourself
    - If you find a bug, report it through support. The devs are always super responsive and helpful with tracking it down if it can be fixed

Hmm, can't think of anything else right now... other than have patience? :P
    Thanks for the welcome.

I currently have made a Mage type, which is OK so far. Might try my hands at a Melee fighter at some point. Out of curiousity, does the combat get any "Faster" if that makes sense. I am not expecting some crazy, super intense action combat; just curious.

Appreciate the tips as well! Is the Map Pack something I can just google to find?

Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
    Welcome, taking a break from GoT?
    Honestly, I haven't even watched 1 episode of Game of Thrones! Not that it doesn't interest me, it's just I don't have HBO. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    Welcome Ramsay Be sure to join the New Player Assistance channel, its great for questions, and finding others to group with.
    Thanks Guaran! I actually joined last night when I played, but it was rather quiet when I was chatting/asking questions. Perhaps could have been my play time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay View Post
    Thanks for the welcome.

I currently have made a Mage type, which is OK so far. Might try my hands at a Melee fighter at some point. Out of curiousity, does the combat get any "Faster" if that makes sense. I am not expecting some crazy, super intense action combat; just curious.

Appreciate the tips as well! Is the Map Pack something I can just google to find?
    Hi there. I also welcome you to Istaria. Sadly i don`t play as a naka that often i am a main dragon player. But if you mean by faster comebat that you kill your enemys faster or that you become faster in hits per second then yes. For sure you also do more damage to lower mobs the higher your lvl gets . As for my part dragons do have Spells, tecs and other stuff wich shorten the time needed for the next recycle of a ability.

Have fun in playing. We might meet depending on wich shard you are on . Mine is chaos ^^

"If being of fire means blind arrogance and the elevation of violence above reason, then let me be of water!"

Mappack is great, can get it here. http://istariareference.com/mappack.asp

Just read ALL of the instructions (theres differant instructions for new install, update, etc) if confused about anything just ask here.

PS: are you on Order or Chaos?

Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
    Mappack is great, can get it here. http://istariareference.com/mappack.asp

Just read ALL of the instructions (theres differant instructions for new install, update, etc) if confused about anything just ask here.

PS: are you on Order or Chaos?
    Will look at this tonight! Thanks for providing that info. I am on the non-RP server.. can't remember which that is. :P

Right behind you when you're not looking!

That would be chaos, welcome to Istaria!
    Light covers night, night fades, when it does, storms come. ~Storm Dragons
    Currently Getting Coppers, gaining Silver, making Gold, Pursuing Mithril!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay View Post
    Thanks for the welcome.

No problem!

Like Pryzm, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by faster, but as you level up, you are going to get stronger and gain new abilities and access to new spells, since you are a mage there. You'll have a lot more buttons to press and - eventually - too many buttons to press, probably It's a bit slow in the beginning!

Smaug already linked the map pack's site, but the update thread is here: http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...8-Map-Pack-3-7
    Also I can't believe I forgot it, but HCC (Horizon's Crafting Calculator) is also awesome. It's not a mod; it's a 3rd party program. It makes organising your crafting trips and comp hunting so much easier. Thread is here: http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...FFICIAL-SERVER But you'll probably have to do some digging to find the correct Config.xml file for updating it (hosted on Istaria Reference, i think)

There are things that will "speed up" combat, and it gets better the higher your level.

For a spellcaster character, be sure to level Wizard to at least level 72, this grants Accelerate passive ability which helps spells recycle a bit faster. For the actual spell speed, that would be alacrity gift. If you level a class that gets Augmentation skill (such as cleric, healer) then you can buff yourself with those gifts in any school.

There's many classes and many combinations. Half the fun is deciding how to build your character, what his/her main school will be, and what classes you will level to add supporting strength to it.

Far as I know the link I gave to mappack is the latest version. Ceg keeps it updated on his site Istariareference

Would be nice if HCC was updated though... :/
    Still old tech comp names and their uses, some techs also don't go on some spells apperantly... Like bane on lessen Focus and lessen power, although HCC says they do. Might be a bug as well but no clue xD

You sure about that? The most recent update for me was from March 16th, 2016. Beyond the very new Niesa's Fate update, nothing has been added in that time. Though there are a few things missing otherwise, like the T6 dragon scales.

Though I noticed the bane thing. Might be a bug, don't know

Uh for real? I tried updating it sometime back... Still got old stuff, guess I'll try redownloading it?

Yeah, there was some hopping around of the Config.xml file. I think this post explains it?

Anyway I'm derailing the thread a bit here, PM me if you can't get it to update

Hey there Ramsay, and welcome to Istaria!

Most of the tips have already been given out I see, so hears hoping you have a warm welcome here

Thread Information