Thread: Talk to the Team: Ambrosia

Hybrid View

Default Talk to the Team: Ambrosia

Been a while since we posted one of these, so figured I'd take a moment to throw it out there. One thing we've discussed and has been brought up numerous times over the years is re-introducing a way to create and a reason to use Ambrosia.

So, here are some ideas. As always we welcome your feedback:

1) Ambrosia I through VII would remain obsolete. A new epic Ambrosia would be introduced.

2) "Epic" Ambrosia would be craftable using a system similar to the Epic item system including tokens and an essence, but perhaps could be created using "essence" from any Epic monster.

3) Usable once every 24 hours, but would remove your death penalty. So, very useful if you have acquired a number of death points.

Thoughts, feedback, comments?
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Default Re: Talk to the Team: Ambrosia

Clarifications please:
    This would remove one full dp in addition to the full penalty, rather than just the next closest to done?
    Time to consume?
    Can be eaten on battlefield?
    Do not have to be sitting?

If each epic ambrosia follows the pattern of 3 components and an essence, I'm probably never going to make or use any of it if I do happen to acquire any... 330 tokens for a full death point/penalty removal is not appealing in the slightest. You could potentially rack up a whole new batch of death points just grinding out those 330 tokens.

However, if the epic token cost per consumable there is significantly reduced then I would absolutely see about making some up! The pricing on the epic travel scroll boxes is absolutely perfect for an epic consumable like that, so I'd personally prefer that the epic ambrosia wouldn't exceed that token cost/consumable ratio by too much.

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

If the cost is too low for Epic Ambrosia it will make the confectioner food obsolete, but it shouldn't be as high like a epic item either.
    Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

Not making confectioner food obsolete was why there was no actual mention of the removal of death points.

If it was too low, nobody would use it. if it were very high (removing a massive amount of them) then players might simply collect them, pop a single ambrosia, and move on.... rendering confectioner food obsolete. Which would be contrary to the goal.

Instead, I was thinking along the lines of curing the death penalty itself. Then even if you had 20 death points, you wouldn't be impacted by them until you got more.

Certainly open to other suggestions about use, beyond simple death point removal.

For example, what if the potion were there to be administered to others. They die, you use the potion on them, it resurrects them with full health. Or, what if you were to consume it and then on your next death the "gods" would resurrect you to full health.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Epic Ambrosia:
    If that's possible,it could work only against Epic monsters.
    All values are subject to discussion.

Initial effect would be to remove enough minutes to remove ~10 death points and current death penalty.
    Second effect would be Gods Revenge:
    Attacks Spells Ranged do 110% against epic monsters only.
    Incomming from epic monsters do 90%
    All primary adv skills could go up by 5% (dragon and ped alike)
    Small healing tick every few seconds.
    Duration of whole-1h so you can take revenge on at leats 2 epic monsters.

I hope this doesn't look like too much but I was never fan of consumable epics items and to make Ambrosia worthy making it would really have to be something.

The godly resurrection sounds like a good idea too.
    Last edited by Tilithia; June 8th, 2016 at 06:12 PM.

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Not making confectioner food obsolete was why there was no actual mention of the removal of death points.

If it was too low, nobody would use it. if it were very high (removing a massive amount of them) then players might simply collect them, pop a single ambrosia, and move on.... rendering confectioner food obsolete. Which would be contrary to the goal.

Instead, I was thinking along the lines of curing the death penalty itself. Then even if you had 20 death points, you wouldn't be impacted by them until you got more.

Certainly open to other suggestions about use, beyond simple death point removal.

For example, what if the potion were there to be administered to others. They die, you use the potion on them, it resurrects them with full health. Or, what if you were to consume it and then on your next death the "gods" would resurrect you to full health.
    A 1/day use is very limiting. If it only cures 1 dp in addition to the penalty, it certainly would not replace food.

I do love the idea of a resurrection item. I would prefer it be usable by self when dead, unlike nearly anything else. That would make epic cost worthwhile for a consumable.

Why keep Ambrosia I-VII obsolete? Just give it a 24 hour refresh and make the components rare drops. Make one of the drops come from named mobs and/or epic mobs. Make the form pricey. I like the 24 hour refresh, you get an easy removal on the first DP and then have to work a bit for the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Been a while since we posted one of these, so figured I'd take a moment to throw it out there. One thing we've discussed and has been brought up numerous times over the years is re-introducing a way to create and a reason to use Ambrosia.

So, here are some ideas. As always we welcome your feedback:

1) Ambrosia I through VII would remain obsolete. A new epic Ambrosia would be introduced.

2) "Epic" Ambrosia would be craftable using a system similar to the Epic item system including tokens and an essence, but perhaps could be created using "essence" from any Epic monster.

3) Usable once every 24 hours, but would remove your death penalty. So, very useful if you have acquired a number of death points.

Thoughts, feedback, comments?
    1) Those who acquired the ambrosia form in the past should not, I think, be required to get it again. Scan for who has it and replace it (or just add it, for those who want ot keep the old form) with the new one.

2/3) With the amount of 1-shot mechanics (and AoE 1-shot stuff), the you'll likely have to mess with how often one can use ambrosia and what it does. 5-10 people getting 1 DP each in an AoE - or 5-10 people getting 4-5 from one raid because of all the dryad multicast bombs (or whatever ability it happens to be at the time that kills nearly the entire group). In the time I've been playing this game, I can think of no instance where I thought 'I'd love to consume something difficult to craft in order to get rid of this death penalty'. In my personal experience, it's never been a problem. Even if ambrosia is put into the game as said above, I'll never use nor craft it. If there is a time in combat where the death penalty is a major problem, something has gone HORRIBLY wrong anyway (and I do not put that word in all caps lightly xD) and it'd likely be a waste getting rid of the death penalty if you wanted to use the ambrosia.

Here's something I suggested in the Discord chat - I wonder if a DP absorb would be possible. For example. Make ambrosia however you make it. Nom it. You now have -3 DP - aka, you can die three times before you feel the effects of death and start to get death penalies. Lasts until you get DP, usable once per day. This way, you can stack up DP absorbs - a makeshift DP 'removal' (removing them from the future! :D) and negating the death penalty that'd come with the absorbed DP.

*peers down at other posts* An AoE resurrect would be pretty sweet, too. REALLY nice. Especially with the amount of mass/group death going on lately. If something can nuke down 90% of the group with a couple casts, it'd be nice to be able to bring the group back up just as easily.

Concerning the whole 'not make confectioner foods obsolete' - putting aside that one could just make ambrosia require high confectioner skill...

t5 claws make t4 claws obsolete, and so on down the tiers. Same for a whole lot of other things I won't bother to list. To me, epics have always been the next tier up, and I don't see why they shouldn't be better than what is crafted 'normally', assuming you're able to actually acquire the epic thingy in the first place. With the current system, there would be no 'simply' collecting ambrosia. I feel that killing an epic mob, winning the roll/doing the daily quest, etc, having the presumably high skill needed to scribe/make the darn thing, easily justifies making ambrosia significantly better than confectioner food.

Quote Originally Posted by Alisto View Post
    ..Concerning the whole 'not make confectioner foods obsolete' - putting aside that one could just make ambrosia require high confectioner skill...
    It would still make the foods obsolete. Confectioners no, food, possibly.

So to combat that, just make it rare.

It also needs some other benefit that just dp time removal, to justify bothering with it.

Put the old Essence of Blight resource back in with a new formula. You can continue to use the old form if you wish, or use the new form to get the newer Ambrosia.

The new formula could even make several possible products, since there have been several good ideas presented here.

One could remove a dp+penalty in an aoe effect, so that your group members (and maybe even others not in the group) are "Refreshed" in the middle of a Reklar hunt or Raid event. Removing a death point plus the death penalty which is the real killer to an ongoing epic event. This is a really powerful benefit, essentially equal to 10 or more single Ambrosia's effects in one item. The cost to create it can represent that. So if the essence of blight is a rare random drop off of the epics, then its not something we will wind up with a stack of 200 of..

And please please please make it part of either crates loot or part of the players own loot window. We don't need people fighting over it.

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

Probably best off leaving Ambrosia in the past.
    If you want to add foods that do an increased amount of time deduction then by all means do,
    Heck, make another competiton out of it and get peeps to post ideas for new "rare" foods.

Their are many "rare" foods in-game right now but they are not crafted as they just aren't worth the extra effort to make for the tiny amount of extra time deduction they give.

I'm all for New things, but let's just leave things past...in the past. ;)

Oh you mean Ambrosia, our Gifts from Gods, that was taken away, you want to bring it back but only for high level uses cause you need to get it from epics. I don't think so it should never have been taken away from us at all, bad enough it went for 1dp to 8 hours ..old clock used to have 3-8 hour days/night again only high levels to benefit again not fair. All or none.

Lillyjo

Thread Information