Thread: Question about schools (damage types)

Default Question about schools (damage types)

Much of the knowledge I'd accumulated in my head about Istaria the last time I was playing has long since leaked out of my ears.

Can someone give me an idea as to which biped schools, of the damage dealing types, have a decent assortment of Area Effect abilities/spells? Trying to gather information about how some of the adventure schools fit together, and what they're good at can be a bit overwhelming, even for an old vet of Horizons

Right behind you when you're not looking!

Default Re: Question about schools (damage types)

The ones that I'm able to remember which have some area abilities or spells would be Mage, Conjurer (same spells but buffs which give more dmg & protections and an equivalent to Cloak of Thorns oh and Multicast IV my fave, together with Fusion Burn from mage & volcano or flame bomb & perfect spell it rocks ;D), Spiritist (Ethereal Paroxysm, can be used on any Mystic school), Druid with Thunder & Lightning Storms + Paroxysm but I'd say it isn't so damaging...
    Eh as for schools with area abilities... No idea O.o I'm more of a magic based biped player in case you haven't noticed yet.

If you want alot of area abilities/spells available, there's only one thing I can think of, having more than one school with masterable area abilities/useable area spells for the one school you want to play. Having a magical school which can use Bloodthorn Staff also helps with the area damage part due to bats.
    Light covers night, night fades, when it does, storms come. ~Storm Dragons
    Currently Getting Coppers, gaining Silver, making Gold, Pursuing Mithril!

Generally, the classes with the most 'AoE' are the Arcane mage or arcane knight classes, such as Wizard, Sorceror, Mage, KNOC, Chaos Warrior, and Battlemage are a few examples.

The spells, Flame Bomb, Ice Bomb, Energy Bomb, Daunting Mist, Burning Sky, and Frosty Maelstrom are all AoE spells.

The class, Battlemage can use a masterable melee AoE known as Energy Sabre in addition to those spells I mentioned above. If you master the ability Whirlwind from Warrior, that'd give you an additional melee AoE.

Conjurer learns another masterable ability, known as Phoenix Rising that is an AoE and it can use all those spells I mentioned too. Those should give you a pretty powerful arsenal of AoE.

Some of the Mystic classes can use AoE, but to a much more limited degree, an example would be Lightning Storm, Thunder, and Ethereal Paroyxsm.
    Last edited by Litarath; June 16th, 2016 at 07:54 PM.

Ri'ta'ra'thi Is'mi'nei: Season 100 ADV/100 CRA/100 BLK(former)/100 LSH/ 1.11 BILLION hoard
    Kytitia Pyrrithia: Unparalleled Rating 212 Saris Sorceror, Rating 234 Crafter

Quote Originally Posted by Litarath View Post
    Generally, the classes with the most 'AoE' are the Arcane mage or arcane knight classes, such as Wizard, Sorceror, Mage, KNOC, Chaos Warrior, and Battlemage are a few examples.

The spells, Flame Bomb, Ice Bomb, Energy Bomb, Daunting Mist, Burning Sky, and Frosty Maelstrom are all AoE spells.

The class, Battlemage can use a masterable melee AoE known as Energy Sabre in addition to those spells I mentioned above. If you master the ability Whirlwind from Warrior, that'd give you an additional melee AoE.

Conjurer learns another masterable ability, known as Phoenix Rising that is an AoE and it can use all those spells I mentioned too. Those should give you a pretty powerful arsenal of AoE.

Some of the Mystic classes can use AoE, but to a much more limited degree, an example would be Lightning Storm, Thunder, and Ethereal Paroyxsm.
    You said it alot better than me thanks haha (suck at explaining usually ;D) xD

Though I wouldn't call Burning Sky damaging... It's more of a dissapointment tbh, you except something epic but... lol!

Thank you all for the information so far. That helps me out quite a bit. I've always been a bit of an alt-aholic, and so even if I don't get them leveled up (or even created!), I always lay out a list of ideas for characters. Istaria has a lot to offer there, lots of choices as you well know, and it's hard to find good, up to date, accurate summaries sometimes. My memory of what I had in mind for my bipeds is way too fuzzy to be of much use, so I'm trying to relearn it all. I'll even delete and re-roll my secondaries to adjust names, races, etc.

Although I will say, now, the only thing causing me hesitation about re-rolling is whether or not any of my secondaries (most of whom are all pretty low level anyways), had anything special scribed formula wise, that you can't get in game anymore. Not likely, but you never know. Anyways, that's neither here nor there.

Thanks again, and if anyone else has information to add, please do!

Quote Originally Posted by flamefeniks View Post
    You said it alot better than me thanks haha (suck at explaining usually ;D) xD

Though I wouldn't call Burning Sky damaging... It's more of a dissapointment tbh, you except something epic but... lol!
    A little trick about Burning Sky that I discovered...

It can be potentially VERY powerful, instead of looking at say... 'Flame Damage II' on it... instead, try using 'Combust II'.

The reason I say this... if the spell is teched with combust, it has a chance to do unresistable and direct (pretty much ethereal) EXTRA flame damage in addition to the base damage. I believe the Combust tech is also influenced by your power and flame skill. I have seen my Burning Sky do... say... 100 damage, but combust hits... and it does 200-400, which actually nets you over 300 damage off a single spell.

What makes it more beneficial is that Burning Sky hits a LARGE area and if you have it multi casted, perfect spelled with burnout, and if in mage class, Fusion Burn.... you can hit for a very large amount of damage.

Ri'ta'ra'thi Is'mi'nei: Season 100 ADV/100 CRA/100 BLK(former)/100 LSH/ 1.11 BILLION hoard
    Kytitia Pyrrithia: Unparalleled Rating 212 Saris Sorceror, Rating 234 Crafter

Quote Originally Posted by Litarath View Post
    A little trick about Burning Sky that I discovered...

It can be potentially VERY powerful, instead of looking at say... 'Flame Damage II' on it... instead, try using 'Combust II'.

The reason I say this... if the spell is teched with combust, it has a chance to do unresistable and direct (pretty much ethereal) EXTRA flame damage in addition to the base damage. I believe the Combust tech is also influenced by your power and flame skill. I have seen my Burning Sky do... say... 100 damage, but combust hits... and it does 200-400, which actually nets you over 300 damage off a single spell.

What makes it more beneficial is that Burning Sky hits a LARGE area and if you have it multi casted, perfect spelled with burnout, and if in mage class, Fusion Burn.... you can hit for a very large amount of damage.
    I'll give it a try but seems to me more or less a waste of the tech slot and your multicast shot since is has such a low chance of going off. 5% chance on a spell with a 2 minute recycle doesnt seem like the chance of it procing very good and cept for the rare time it does, more or less wasting the extra damage could get with multicast and another spell.

Will see though how it works in real world

Eh I think my multicast would be better on my flame bomb then xD
    Or volcano, smaller range but damage!

Western North America, near a fault and far from volcanoes.

The only AOE spells not already mentioned are from the Mystic side:

-Patch of Bramble - AOE root

-Dark Cyclone - AOE damage, and is a high level quest reward.
    --
    Daulnay
    Tamlis Askereth, Saris, Order
    Thorncloud Moonskimmer, Dragon, Order

Thread Information