Thread: What's the Melee-Dragon Hotness These Days?

Default What's the Melee-Dragon Hotness These Days?

Been rather inactive for quite a while, and it seems a lot of shiny new things have been added in my absence!

What's the generally favored melee-dragon equipment look like these days? Any quest-reward tech kits that are must-haves? New quested abilities in the same vein? Oh—and which dragon tech kits are actually useful? I think it was still being debated when I was last paying attention.

I'm familiar with the broken scales, but not the new epic-loot system, if that says anything of the timeframe for what I may have missed.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Default Re: What's the Melee-Dragon Hotness These Days?

Well, Shazo is a Melee-Fighter so, I was taught and guided to finish up with this set of scales and claw:

So, on the 1st picture:

Head: Used Socketing + Strength Crystal and Razor Teeth V Tech (Craftable, formula dropped easly by Fiyakkis at ED)

Chest: Used Socketing + Saris Stone of Friendship crystal (Quest reward from a Questline at Blackhammer's Farmstead) and Greater Renown Tech Kit (Bought/Traded by Rift Tokens from The Rift with Blagarath NPC in Dralk)

Back: Used 2 Stats at creation, can't add anything else.

Tail: Added Scale of the Grand Magus Tech Kit (Quest Reward, Questline starts at Isle of Fire and Ice NPC at the Pad, continuing the rest ad Isle of Ice)

Wings: Used Piercing Winds V Tech Kit on each wing (Craftable, formula dropped easly by the Fiyakkis at ED)

On the 2nd picture:

Foreleg 1: Used 2 Socketings + Balit's Signet Stone (Quest reward, Balit's Questline at Balit's Island) and Restored Darkstaff Armor Crystal (Quest reward, Darkstaff questline starts at Eastern Outpost)

Foreleg 2: Used 2 Socketings + Darkstaff's Armor Crystal Fragment (Quest reward, Darkstaff questline starts at Eastern Outpost) + Strength Crystal

Hindlegs: Used 2 Stats at creation, can't add anything else.

Claw: Using Demon's Claw (Epic Craftable Weapon, hence it needs Epic Boss Drop/Tokens to create, Tech Kits/Stats/Socketings can't be added)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shazo; July 6th, 2016 at 10:38 AM.

I forgot to add.

This is the claw I used untill I got the Demon's Claw.

It is the Spiked Emerald Tipped Dragon Claw with 2 Socketing + The Fangs of Fury crystal (Quest reward, you must already have it) + Strength Crystal + Andorr's Ironwood Shaft Tech Kit (Quest reward, Andorr can be found at Eastern Outpost)

I would be honored if you would like to take further advise from me:-)

Shazo describes a hybride- melee dragon- which I do recommend too- esp. cause it could be boring with Falgut and his friends,
    if a dragon can`t cast a spell or a bolt.

As always, there is not only ONE way to make your dragon hot^^
    I made different cobinations od scales and claws (and spells) which I can show you ingame and explain.

Hope to see you soon- and WELCOME BACK!!
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Those are some good suggestions. Main thing to know is that now, the t6 scales have 2 tech slots instead of one.

Dragons can earn a frozen weapon tech, so a claw with this plus andorrs ironwood shaft tech (the +85 dexterity one) plus 1 socket is a good claw to have around. Get this quest in Delgarath.

For the back scale, leave one open tech slot for Bone Lacing tech. Get this from quest outside Delgarath in the battlefield. go NE from Delgarath, the npc is across a rope bridge.

For wings, make 2 sets. Make a separate travel set with speed + velocity on each. Recommend dying them something obviously different than the colors used on other scales. Swap these on and off with a pair of hotkeys. Set one hotkey to equip both speed wings, another to equip the combat wings.

Even for a melee fighter, the Magus tech on the tail is good. It (primal skill) helps the debuffs land (grazing winds and unrelenting winds). Which help you miss less as well as hit harder. Those work best in combination with Primal Attack. Having the tech on tail means you can move training points out of primal, and still have pretty good chance to hit with the debuffs. That means more training points elsewhere (evasion).

The Reklar Tail Scale now comes in 2 versions. There is a melee version with t&c on it. It also has 25% reduction to incoming damage which is very useful.

Hindlegs put t&c & dragon breath. Tech order is Dragon techs (where applicable, such as razor teeth), T&C, Dragon Breath. Sockets where they can be used, 1 on head, 2 on forelegs.

Depending on when you last played, there is quite a few new quests around. There is a nice weapon crystal from Imperial outpost quests. Winter vale has a weapon crystal as one of the quests' rewards. Delgarath area has multiple quests. South of Delgarath in the Demon Lair, you can learn Drulkar's Wrath (Dragon epic spell). There's a lot of t2 quests to do, don't skip those. Start in Sable shore talking to the guard by the woodshack.

Another thing that I'm surprised was missed....

A DoT setup for a melee type too, works wonders if you are into DoT.

My hatchling, a melee type uses a claw with Rending, the Virulent Venom tech kit, and a socket with an Exsanguinating crystal.

The Virulent Venom tech kit is acquired from a quest at the Eastern Outpost, it deals direct damage and has a high chance of proccing, about 10% chance

The Rending tech kit, craftable by dragons, also deals direct damage and has a high chance of proccing, 15% to be precise

The Exsanguinating crystal has a 5% chance to proc, and deals direct spirit damage.

These also stack with Burning Embers and Acid Breath, which can give you a dangerous edge in DPS.

Bite conflicts with Rending, so it won't work to try to inflict it upon the enemy, but then again, you can use bite when there are none of the other DoTs on the enemy.

Ri'ta'ra'thi Is'mi'nei: Season 100 ADV/100 CRA/100 BLK(former)/100 LSH/ 1.11 BILLION hoard
    Kytitia Pyrrithia: Unparalleled Rating 212 Saris Sorceror, Rating 234 Crafter

Firstly, little tid-bits.
    Hero's Resolve is a fantastic ability, from the end of the Delgarath Militia/Unsung Hereos questline beginning with a mr Carmichael Kincaid in Delgarath.

The Blackhammer Farmstead (SW of Delgarath, 276/265) offers two useful things: Firstly, the saris stone of frienship which gives +175 health, superior to a t6 dark diamond armor crystal (along with ethereal armour boosts too).
    Secondly, the Crest of the Blackhammer Clan.
    Infact, even the third quest from millie gives a decent albiet non-gear related reward, so I suggest doing ALL quests here.

I think those are the only things that haven't been specifically mentioned yet, apart from primal cast.

Now for the gear- personally, i'm about pure melee.

On the subject of a claw, rending and battle forged and now the melee dragon techs of choice. Rending for DoT damage, battle forged for a more in general damage boost.
    As has already been mentioned, Andorr's Ironwood Shaft makes an excellent addition too!

If you're going epic claws, you have a choice between Demon's Claw and Valkor's Blood Talon.
    Generally, demons claw leans towards DPS, with an armour sapping debuff that allows you to dish out a lot of damage.
    Valkor's talon leans towards Tank, with, while yes a DoT, it brings with it a heal.

You may choice to either extend your preferences (e.g. if you prefer a DPS orientated build, chosing demon's claw as a primary battle claw to hit even harder) or cover your weaknesses (e.g. as a tank, you use demon's claw because you can already take enough hits so you want something that helps you deal a little more damage.)
    (ofc, builds arent as black and white as tank or dps, but widely, ones build will land somewhere on a scale between those two extremes.)

Now the scaleset...
    Generally, for the t5 scaleset, i tend to use armor bases teched with t&c/strength/dexterity for the back, tail, hindlegs and wings.
    Razor teeth on the head scale along with strength crystal + dexterity or health crystal.
    And strength/dexterity/health crystals in the scales which take sockets.

Or alternatively, pretty much the same just with strength bases and health or armor replacing strength techs. (leaning towards the dps side)

Notice that nowhere amongst that is anything that isn't just melee focused? That's just a personal preference of mine, because I use a grand total of one ranged debuff (snarl) commonly in combat, and I don't believe a few breath attacks to be more important than more melee damage. But that's just my opinion, and it is perfectly reasonable to follow the previous suggestions of adding in a bit of primal/dragon breath, considering the accuracy boosts for key debuffs, drain bolt, and breaths can even be useful to a melee!

The teir 6 scaleset is when we really get specialized.

Firstly, if you are going to the extremes of either dps or tank, as in you wish to be a pure dps or tank and do not care the cost to defence/damage (accordingly) then you will not be using a full t6 scaleset. I'm yet to make a pure tank so sorry for dps focus, but my pure dps-er for example does not need the t6 hindleg scales because the t5 scales add more damage than they do, because the t6 hindlegs are defence focused.

However, I would not suggest taking a melee build on either extreme unless you know how to istaria pretty well, as it can take some skill to atone for what those builds lack.

So with that in mind, i'd suggest a full t6 scaleset which very much imitates the t5 scaleset (i mean to be fair this is probably a general rule-)

But as you have only two tech slots, you will have to make a decision on what you really want to focus on.
    Personally, i'd stick with t&c/strength or t&c/health on the back, tail, hindlegs and wings, depending on your preference between damage/defence, with strength/health crystals in sockets where applicable, and razor teeth + health or strength crystal in the head scale (again, depending on preference.)

Of course, layer advice on tech kits on top of that, for example bone lacing tech kit should go on the back scale, in place of either health/dexterity. Though, in the case of bone lacing specifically, i'd probably make a seperate back scale just to take that tech because it only works versus undead.

So much info, dang! Thank you, everyone! Sounds like I have some questing and hunting to do...

Surprised to see Dragon Breath recommended, but it does seem that the breath attacks are recycling a lot faster now...

And please do feel free to drop me a tell if you catch me in-game, Lov and Litarath and anyone else that might want to!

Follow-up questions:
    Any ideal mobs to hunt for the T6 broken-scale pieces?
    All these quest-reward techs... Can you get replacements, or do I need to be really careful that I'm sure of what scale I want to put them on?

Q.1: As far as Ive noticed either the Fiyakkis or the Blights have nice chances to drop the broken pieces. If you want to have made a set I can make it to you, I have many spare proken pieces around that I don't need. If you catch me in game or online in forums send me a tell and Ill gladly assist.

Q.2: Yes, be carefull. I have heard around that theres a way to buy them from another source or something like that if you happen to loose them, but no idea actualy so better be carefull.

Lovwyrm actually just showed me that some techs are reobtainable by purchasing them from the Town Marshall Daggle Ironshaper in Aughundell, if that is of any use to you, Shazo. And thanks for the tip and the offer. C:

It is! Thank you lots, have it scribbed on one of my "REMEMBER ME" scrolls -chuckles-

And you're very welcome

Undead, Constructs (Aboms, Aegror, Vexator), and Animates (Fyakki, Kwellen, Myloc) are the monsters that have a chance to drop Broken Items. Top-half of a tier (so levels 11-20, 31-40, 51-60, etc) because they are considered rare.

Many quested tech kits can be acquired again through the use of tokens. Trying to think of the name of the token, but they are acquired through daily quests.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Token of Gratitude:-)
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

You cant buy Andorr ironwood shaft from Daggle again though. There exists formula for bipeds to make a smaller version of it.

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

It takes a good number of "Tokens of Gratitude" to purchase the tech kits.
    Just click as many quests as you can do in a day then go on a killing spree before returning.
    100 / 100 / 100 / 100 Lunus
    "Mythclaws" Saris

But at least you have a chance to buy them again so, it is allways a good thing

Thread Information