Thread: Bigger camera zoom out radius for Adult and Ancient dragon?

Default Bigger camera zoom out radius for Adult and Ancient dragon?

Is it possible to increase how far we can zoom out camera on adult and ancient dragon? (or in general hehe). They do take a lot of room on screen but then mod or setscale fixes it. but its still cool to play as a huge dragon,just not when you cant see things.

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

Default Re: Bigger camera zoom out radius for Adult and Ancient dragon?

Typing in: "/setpref developer true, /camreset, /setpref developer false" will let you zoom out incredibly far without the added lag of developer mode

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

I know....I just thought that increasing radius overall wouldn't be a bad thing

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

I totaly agree on this, It would be more pleasant than having to setscale your ancient all the time, also, please, fix the gd... adult/ancient creation window preview camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazo View Post
    I totaly agree on this, It would be more pleasant than having to setscale your ancient all the time, also, please, fix the gd... adult/ancient creation window preview camera.
    not all of us like set scale >> i play the game just fine without it. Were dragons And whats the point in setting your Scale If your just going to be a Puny dragon? If you want that go play a biped
    Last edited by ArchDemon; August 14th, 2016 at 05:15 AM.
    When the time to eat a knight is to Roast them till there ready as COOKED spam...
    What can i say? im a Classic dragon looking for a free easy meal?
    Or facing my family... Isent always a Wise decision..

It depends which server board I think is which.

My only issue with adjusting the zoom-out radius would be killing the scale sense of the game. Some games lock your camera to be zoomed in to a certain amount to keep a sense of scale - if you can zoom out far enough that your ancient looks like a miniature, what's the point in making your ancient large compared to the environment and putting detail on the ground?

Playing a biped, I just recently noticed so many details in the game and it literally feels like a new game. Mimics are honestly horrifying rather than moving chests, the darkness in Ashlander's Tomb is awesome when your entire body isn't taking up the space of the cavern and shoving your camera outside, etc.

I'm also not sure if zoom can be adjusted on a race-by-race basis. Dragon ancients are, technically, another race alongside khutit, hatchling, and adult. You can zoom out from your biped as far as you can zoom out from a dragon. Prove it to yourself - go into khutit form and zoom out as far as possible. Form back to ancient. Your camera will lift as your center of gravity changes, but it will not zoom in or out. Zooming out will avail nothing.

Furthermore, I think zooming out is only a problem on small resolutions. This is max zoom out for my ancient on 1920x1080, even with the original ancient mod:

Knocking my resolution down to 1366x768 gives me this:

Honestly even then I have a lot of screen space, but my UI crowds up. I'd have to take up a lot of that free space for my UI.

However I do agree that the camera in creation needs to be fixed, it's a pain. Either that or ancients and adults on creation screen aren't shown as real-size, but rather setscaled down just so you can see the design on the different head/proportions.

TL;DR: I don't see much of a problem with ancient zoom out radius, at least on higher resolutions. I fear for the game's scale and detail if it's upped. Creation windows are definitely a pain.

I have to agree with Racktor here.

From a game design point of view the (within reason) smaller the zoom out radius, the more sense of scale a player will experience. By increasing the Zoom out limit, will be reducing the player's sense of scale to beyond the level that the game designer's intended.

Ive also heard recently that one MMO i used play, is even REDUCING their max zoom out radius, in order to preserve the player's sense of scale (This was an unpopular decision, judging by the player base's reaction but it went ahead anyway).

It does however, depend of your screen res in how much you can see around your char, esp if your playing a dragon. I have a 1440p screen so this may not be a problem for me (do note that Zzacku is an adult and not an ancient):

Have in mind fact that adult/ancient setscaled dragons can easly fit in biped houses when you're in need to go inside for a certain npc, can see more nicely the environment and terrain since not having it so zoomed away from it, can see resource nodes/monsters and target them easier since your whole body is not blocking it, it's a huge advantage of the setscale itself.

I don't setscale my ancient to the lowest possible, I only do like half or the size or a bit more so it looks more pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchDemon View Post
    not all of us like set scale >> i play the game just fine without it. Were dragons And whats the point in setting your Scale If your just going to be a Puny dragon? If you want that go play a biped
    And I do play a biped, but because of the fact that I actualy enjoy watching where I go, what do I target and want to be able to fit more in the buildings and suroundings rather than taking up all the screen, doesn't mean that I shouldn't play dragon. That only means that dragons are not the only eye catching thing in the game, but the entire world is too c:

Chaos eather in Elia or Harro unless I go to sleep while being lazy in NT ;p

I also would like the ability to zoom out a bit further.

That said I am one of the few left that still prefer 1st person view for most of the time as that gives me more of the feel that I am the character I am playing. That said when I am sitting or in some group fights I go to 3rd to see what's going around me and also when I am taking some screenies. So that said the zoom a lot of times doesn't affect me except the few times I really would like to see a larger area around me but it isn't an option.
    Solarrian Windwalker - Helian - 100/100/100/100 DGMC
    Drackhen Windwalker - Helian - 48 Adv - 41 Craft
    Timeraiire - Lunus - 35 Adv - 35 Craft
    Chaos Server - GL Casual Heroes

I don't see anything wrong with it being an "option" to be able to zoom out farther. Possibly a checkbox in options someplace that simply allows are larger zoom out to be done without resorting to the developer true method.

For players without a widescreen lcd it will help more than it does those of us who have a widescreen lcd. So sure, we don't really need it if we have a widescreen lcd. But that doesn't mean there shouldn't be an option in the case of the player who still uses and older 4:3 lcd at 1280x1024, or possibly even lower resolution than that.

Being an option, no one who doesn't want to use the feature would "have" to use it, therefore you are not impacted by its' presence.

It can be quite useful when planning a plot to be able to zoom out farther than normal, to get a better overall view. A dragon's eye view.

I say put it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    My only issue with adjusting the zoom-out radius would be killing the scale sense of the game. Some games lock your camera to be zoomed in to a certain amount to keep a sense of scale - if you can zoom out far enough that your ancient looks like a miniature, what's the point in making your ancient large compared to the environment and putting detail on the ground?

Playing a biped, I just recently noticed so many details in the game and it literally feels like a new game. Mimics are honestly horrifying rather than moving chests, the darkness in Ashlander's Tomb is awesome when your entire body isn't taking up the space of the cavern and shoving your camera outside, etc.

I'm also not sure if zoom can be adjusted on a race-by-race basis. Dragon ancients are, technically, another race alongside khutit, hatchling, and adult. You can zoom out from your biped as far as you can zoom out from a dragon. Prove it to yourself - go into khutit form and zoom out as far as possible. Form back to ancient. Your camera will lift as your center of gravity changes, but it will not zoom in or out. Zooming out will avail nothing.

Furthermore, I think zooming out is only a problem on small resolutions. This is max zoom out for my ancient on 1920x1080, even with the original ancient mod:

Knocking my resolution down to 1366x768 gives me this:

Honestly even then I have a lot of screen space, but my UI crowds up. I'd have to take up a lot of that free space for my UI.

However I do agree that the camera in creation needs to be fixed, it's a pain. Either that or ancients and adults on creation screen aren't shown as real-size, but rather setscaled down just so you can see the design on the different head/proportions.

TL;DR: I don't see much of a problem with ancient zoom out radius, at least on higher resolutions. I fear for the game's scale and detail if it's upped. Creation windows are definitely a pain.
    I agree with Racktor... Next thing you know we would want Ancients to be as big as Reklar because we dragons will feel were too small...
    When the time to eat a knight is to Roast them till there ready as COOKED spam...
    What can i say? im a Classic dragon looking for a free easy meal?
    Or facing my family... Isent always a Wise decision..

Thread Information