Thread: Long pause on kill shot

Default Long pause on kill shot

Does this happen to everyone or even anyone else? The last hit whether it's an arrowshot, or a spell cast or even swinging a melee weapon, on the final killing blow there will be a 3 to 5 second pause before it goes off. It doesn't happen every time but i'd say at least 75% of the time.

Default Re: Long pause on kill shot

Didn't observe that when fighting one on one,when I run around and herd mobs it seems to happen almost every time. It is very dangerous as monsters keep bashing on you while you wait for that last hit to be executed. I noticed that happen a lot when the killing attack is one of dragon breath attacks.
    Last edited by Tilithia; October 13th, 2016 at 11:59 PM.

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

Yes, it happens extremely often, 75% of the time is probably right. I've had many times where the delay can be upwards of 10 seconds. It gets very frustrating when abilities are continuing to count down, and mobs continue to wail on you, yet you can't do anything because you are stuck waiting to finish off that one mob.

This seems to happen with every weapon and spells, though I see it much more often with bows at nearly 100% of the time. Tilithia may be on to something. I fight mostly groups of mobs rather than single mobs, so that may be where the issue lies.
    Last edited by Garrick; October 14th, 2016 at 12:06 AM.

Oh yeah now I recall arrows too. usually health gets down to 75% or 50% and stops updating and after a moment monster is suddenly dead. cant say for sure if theres delay in that though.

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

In spell casting with single mob I nearly always see the delay on the last spell cast - but game feedback registers kill exp before the final kill delay has completed and the spell effects and corpse graphic has been displayed. I thought this perhaps to be game lag for spell effects video vs text feedback.

Knossos

I don't always notice it when I start a round of combat, but at some point later in the kills I notice it happening. I just assumed that it was a mounting bit of graphics lag and that's usually when I log out and back in. Before I had a better card, this lag would be horrendous after a handful, even after I turned of spell effects and all unnecessary graphics. Now, it just kind of creeps in. It seems to be better after a relog.

all the time.. last shot with arrows my character hangs for up to 10 - 20 seconds before last shot is finally fired and it registers death

Does it make any difference if you play with regular client or patch to blight version?
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

I play with Blight patch, some others that say they get the pause I know don't.

I have never played with blight patch. It seems to be happening to everyone regardless of whether or not they are patched to blight. This is not a recent occurrence. it has been going on for at least several months now. I don't remember exactly when it started.

This is a something that I've observed as far back as I can remember.

For me it's usually a second to maybe 2.5 seconds. I think it's internet lag. It only really affects anything if you are in a rush, or hunting multiple mobs at once. You do have to wait on the animation to finally show the mob dead before you can loot it.

Keep eye on combat feedback. As soon as you see a mob has died, just immediately change targets and start attacking. You can attack something new while the client catches up with the server. I do this all the time. It's especially an issue when you use some fast killing abilities like ranged flurry. You need to be clicking on a new mob and hitting the attack key as soon as you see in feedback that the current mob just died, otherwise half of the flurry is wasted with you standing there not attacking, waiting to loot...

This is exactly the problem, you CAN'T simply change targets once the combat feedback says the mob is dead. You have to wait until the animation completes before you can do ANYTHING else. This includes healing, Buffing, attacking, recalling, etc. In the meantime, while waiting for the animation to complete your active effect timers (such as flurry) are ticking down, and if you are in combat with other mobs they continue to wail on you and do damage while you are effectively stuck in animation limbo which can last upwards of 10 seconds at times. This can easily get you killed if you are fighting challenging mobs.

The slight 1-2 second delay has always existed and was easily attributed to simple lag, this seems to be much more than that. If it was simple lag you would be able to change targets and continue on as you say, but sadly this is not the case.

I think this is really just a visual bug. The network messages received from combat needs to be processed and displayed to client in order it is received. It seems longer animations (dragon breath, some spells, etc) causes the feedback messages, damage done, healing done, etc to be put on hold until the animation finishes. That can be investigated, but not such an easy fix.

I put forth effort to see if I could debunk or confirm if everything is really delayed while the animation finishes (very bad) or if it's just the messages to client windows that are delayed (bad that messages are delayed , but it's still processing correctly in realtime in background -- so thats good).

Without attacking multiple mobs, and cluttering the client with multiple messages, I decided to see what would happen if I were to slow down a long attack animation by 50% and 90%. I am attacking a combat dummy so it doesn't attack back to make it more difficult to parse/see what's happening. The animation in question was dragon's Breath of Lightning (or Breath of Fire works, too). I've made a video demo to show -50%, but the -90% (which took almost a full 30 seconds to finish), still shows that the combats, buffs, heals, etc are still occuring in background (while animation waits to finish).

If you all want to try this experiment and try various scenarios, here's what I did.

/resources/definitions/characters/dragona_u/dragona_u_anim_combat_h2h_special.def --dragon_u is ancient dragon folder is adult. Copy this file anywhere to resources_override folder. The below lines are near the top. I simply inserted this: float speed = 0.5 to slow down animation to 50%. Use 0.1 to slow down ridicuously to 90% slower.

Code:
    		//h2h_breath_prepare
    		{
    			string name = "h2h_breath_prepare"
    			float easeInTime = 0.0
    			float easeOutTime = 0.0
    float speed = 0.5
    			TAnimation list animList = 
    			{
    				{
    					string name = "dragon_u_breath_prepare_low_n.gr2"
    					float listBlendFactor = 0.0
    				}
    				{
    					string name = "dragon_u_breath_prepare_high_n.gr2"
    					float listBlendFactor = 1.0
    				}
    			}
    		}
    		//h2h_breath_hold
    		{
    			string name = "h2h_breath_hold"
    			float easeInTime = 0.0
    			float easeOutTime = 0.0
    float speed = 0.5
    			bool loop = true
    			{
    				{
    					string name = "dragon_u_breath_hold_low_n.gr2"
    					float listBlendFactor = 0.0
    				}
    				{
    					string name = "dragon_u_breath_hold_high_n.gr2"
    					float listBlendFactor = 1.0
    				}
    			}
    		}
    		//h2h_breath_release
    		{
    			string name = "h2h_breath_release"
    			float easeInTime = 0.2
    			float easeOutTime = 0.2
    float speed = 0.5
    			{
    				{
    					string name = "dragon_u_breath_release_lowlong.gr2"
    				}
    			}
    		}
    This video shows me repeating Breath of Lightning on one dummy, then immediately targeting another dummy and hitting my Attack (melee) key.

In the video I do two tests.
    1) I hit dummy beside me with then immediately run to the next dummy and start melee attack.
    2) I hit dummy beside me, but stay out of range and target next dummy and start melee attack.

Results:
    1) While the Breath of Lightning animation is slowly finishing, I am melee attacking 2nd dummy. While the animation is working, it appears that nothing is happening for almost 10+ seconds. As soon as I see the animation finish, I hit my Stop Action key binding to stop the messages/actions asap.

As you see that 4 messages quickly appeared "You hit Archery Target...". So i actually performed 4 melee attack while the slow animation was finishing up.

2) Same thing except I cast Breath of Lightning on mob closest to me. Didn't move to purposely stay out of range of next closest dummy. While animation is slowly finishing up, you see a feedback message "Target is 9m out of range." 7 times. This also proves it's trying to perform actions in background, even though visually it doesn't seem that way (while waiting on animation to finish). While scenario 1) shows 4 messages and scenario 2) shows 7 messages, the extra 3 is because I didn't have to run to 2nd dummy and I took an extra second or so to hit my Stop action key. But it's technically the same results.

So while it seems you're delayed, it will keep processing your actions in order.

Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Im not positive but I think this started about the time some changes were made and people complained that combat messages weren't coming thru at all. Other changes were made (I believe these were when the framerate limits were put in but not really sure) so the messages would again start showing up in combat. I think it was around this time these longer kill shot delays started showing up.

And it doesn't seem to matter what attack your doing or if its one or multiple mobs, it can happen any time. Shooting an arrow, a single shot arrow doesnt take long, yet the delay happens then also.

I killed 2 mith golems this morning and it happened just as always.. though I did notice, if I start walking it usually ends faster. BTW I play without blight patch and this has been an issue for many years

It depends which server board I think is which.

I was killing fyakki for a good amount of time late last night and I noticed this happen once. I just killed a bunch of them and was using Breath of Lightning to finish the last one off - the only ability with a delay I've ever used to finish these off for a while.

After the 'casting' bar finished and it should fire, I stood in the shaking 'stood up' pose for a good amount of time before I finally breathed the lightning and killed the mob. In the meantime, it stood still, staring at me, and both healthbars froze. Once it was dead, I believe I took a bit of damage.

Chat logs. Sorry I have no debug:

[10/15/16 03:38:58]You began casting Breath of Lightning on Ul'zilgat Flayer.

[10/15/16 03:38:58] You hit Ul'zilgat Flayer for 129 pierce damage.

[10/15/16 03:38:59] Marble Strength Wing Scale conflicts with current attack and will not be applied.

[10/15/16 03:38:59] Marble Strength Wing Scale conflicts with current attack and will not be applied.

[10/15/16 03:38:59] You failed to dispell anything.

[10/15/16 03:38:59] Gained Dragon Adventurer experience: 7427 ( 830 from group bonus ) ( 1066 from enemy danger bonus )

[10/15/16 03:38:59] Gift of Ebbe'it restored 42 health points.

[10/15/16 03:38:59] Ul'zilgat Defiler used Evolved Regeneration.

[10/15/16 03:39:01] Ul'zilgat Defiler used Evolved Assault.

[10/15/16 03:39:03] You hit Ul'zilgat Flayer with Breath of Lightning for 387 energy damage.

[10/15/16 03:39:03] Ul'zilgat Flayer has been killed.
    I've bolded the important parts.

Note the times. I began using Breath of Lightning at 3:38:58. The casting delay is 15, meaning it should fire off at 3:38:59 or 3:39:00 depending on which milisecond I was on. (15 delay = 1.5 seconds)

However, that didn't happen. It actually hit at 3:39:03, a full 3-4 seconds late. Note that I gained the experience at the proper time - 3:38:59. Something weird is going on that is causing my animation/attack to last 3-4 seconds longer than it needs to and the mob die 3-4 seconds late, even though the experience is properly given at the proper time.

Also right after casting the breath initially, I hit the fyakki with some pierce damage, but that might just be slight lag from my auto attack considering it's only milliseconds apart.

Cegaiel, your tests are interesting, but this issue for my only ever happens on the killing blow. Hitting the Archery Targets doesn't really prove anything as you aren't killing them. You also did not use any ability with an actual delay. Malicore is a ranger, meaning his bow and auto-attacks alone have delay to cause the issue. Breath of Lightning is my only attack with delay I really use when fighting Fyakki.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malicore View Post
    I killed 2 mith golems this morning and it happened just as always.. though I did notice, if I start walking it usually ends faster. BTW I play without blight patch and this has been an issue for many years

This.

That was an issue pretty much from launch. The messaging order (xp reward, then death message) is part of it, there are spells/abilities whose animations aren't correctly (on time) and that makes them run longer than the event itself does. This is why moving (sometimes) will fix it.

Also, some instances are synch loss and recovery (server lag, or at least it was back then) and of course, some are client-side latency/lag.

Mind, I'm speaking from memory and that's probably not as crystal clear as I like to think.... but I do remember the above (so thanks for triggering memories!!).
    Bherel Auphun (Chaos - main)
    Roasted Sumatra (Chaos)

Sassi Quickwing (Blight)
    [Beryl, house of the Kindred Spirits, Dawn Server, R.I.P.]

I have noticed this happening a lot with Prime Bolt. The mob would technically die, as I would gain EXP from it, but until the animation finished I could not loot the corpse. This has also happened even before the killing blow; the mob's health bar would decrease but the spell would not make contact until a few seconds later. It makes fighting more than one enemy at a time difficult, because whichever mob you are not currently targeting has a chance to get a few extra hits in while you are still busy finishing off its friend(s).

This issue was finally tracked down and should be fixed with the current or next Blight client.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarsilas View Post
    This issue was finally tracked down and should be fixed with the current or next Blight client.
    DEV: This is fixed in client release 392.53

!!Awesome!!
    Last edited by Yfelvik; October 27th, 2016 at 10:59 PM.

Thread Information