Thread: How is DPS computed?

Default How is DPS computed?

How do you compute DPS?

I'm leveling some cleric levels on my warrior and I'm having trouble finding a weapon I like. When I compare a 2HB vs. a 1HB/shield combo, how do I decide which weapon is better?

For instance, right now I'm comparing a hammer that is 37-46 dmg, with a delay of 55, vs. a mace which is 17-21 dmg with a delay of 38. Just looking at the two, I'd guess the hammer would be the heavier dmg weapon, but when I'm using the mace, I *feel* like I am killing things more quickly. How do I know for sure?

Default Re: How is DPS computed?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerech View Post
    How do you compute DPS?

I'm leveling some cleric levels on my warrior and I'm having trouble finding a weapon I like. When I compare a 2HB vs. a 1HB/shield combo, how do I decide which weapon is better?

For instance, right now I'm comparing a hammer that is 37-46 dmg, with a delay of 55, vs. a mace which is 17-21 dmg with a delay of 38. Just looking at the two, I'd guess the hammer would be the heavier dmg weapon, but when I'm using the mace, I *feel* like I am killing things more quickly. How do I know for sure?
    DPS can be calculated in this manner:
    ((min damage+max damage)divided by 2) divided by (delay divided by 10)

so for your hammer as an example it would be:
    ((37+46)/2) / (55/10) = 41.5 / 5.5 = 7.5

and your mace:
    ((17+21)/2) / (38/10) = 19 / 3.8 = 5

it will ofcourse still feel faster with your mace, because your hammer only swings every 5.5 seconds, as opposed to the 3.8 of your mace, but overall the hammer would be higher damage.
    Oooooh, what does this button do?

Thanks, Lis!

After posting this, I timed a few fights and sure enough, the hammer fights ended quicker. It just feels slower because of the delay I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Kerech View Post
    Thanks, Lis!

After posting this, I timed a few fights and sure enough, the hammer fights ended quicker. It just feels slower because of the delay I guess
    Another nice thing to consider is that because delay augmentations (like Gift of Alacrity) are percentage based, they have a bigger influence on higher delay weapons, after all, 25% of 50 is more than 25% of 30.
    Oooooh, what does this button do?

Thread Information