Thread: Unnecessary Portal Destination Move

Default Unnecessary Portal Destination Move

It's great that you guys are adding new content to the game! I enjoy what I have seen so far, but I have one issue. I do not think it is necessary to rename and move certain portal destinations, by that I mean the "Tazoon Region" portal locations being moved to Bristugo Outlands portal. It makes it slightly more of a hassle to reach those locations than needed be. I think they were fine as "Settlements" because that is what they are, settlements (most of them anyway). Having to go to a portal in Bristugo every time you want to head over there makes it feel redundant, especially since most people go to Genevia as their portal hub nowadays. The Outland portal is starting to look rather messy with all these random locations thrown in it like this.

Default Re: Unnecessary Portal Destination Move

I, for one, definitely second this opinion. There is no evident reason why the changes should be made, and it certainly doesn't seem as if it is necessary. There is also the thought to take into account that not everybody is attuned to Bristugo, so why make it more difficult to reach the settlements? It's almost like forcing them to go to Bristugo if they wish to go to one of these places, and Heather seems like a nice gathering place any level of crafter or adventurer may wish to go. If anything would make more sense, it'd be having an Outlands portal in Genevia as well. Unless there is a future reason that should not be spoiled, it doesn't seem very useful. Other than those few thoughts, I praise the idea of change near Tishlar and the new mobs / scenery.

Dalimond/Chiconis/NewRachival were a mistake and will be fixed with the next patch. New Rachival requiring attument was by design, however. The other portals on the Tazoon Region were changed on purpose to create a situation similar to the dalimond peninsula... where all portals in the region lead to one hub.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Where is the portal to Desert's Edge now? I can't find it on Settlements any more

Desert's Edge (along with Dryart and Tishlar) is now on the red ringed portal in bristugo, under TAZOON REGION:

I have a question about the portals.. do we really need to separate all the destinations out so much? I would be fine with lumping them all together on one, maybe 2 lists. At least for the main hubs like Genevia and Bristugo. If the shorter list for some remote locations like Harro (and only being able to port to certain places from there) was on purpose, I think that's ok. But Genevia and Brist are kinda crazy with 5 or more rings...

The SuperPortal (tm) with the entire list of destinations (minus specialty locations like Elnath, Fiery Rift) could be sized up about 25%. Better fit Ancients that way.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Dalimond/Chiconis/NewRachival were a mistake and will be fixed with the next patch. New Rachival requiring attument was by design, however. The other portals on the Tazoon Region were changed on purpose to create a situation similar to the dalimond peninsula... where all portals in the region lead to one hub.
    What about sanctuary bay? not part of the peninsula and easier access to Dalimond for attunement

That one was on purpose, moving it into the Tazoon Region portals.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Blog Entries

Just a quick note for 'devil's advocacy' - knowing that I do not know the inner thinking of Virtrium, nor their plans, I promise that I will work very hard to never assume that because **I** do not think is necessary, it is not necessary. Also, I will endeavor to ensure that I never take an "entitled" tone with the development team or the company (except to the extent I can demonstrate through credible analysis that the expectation of X is broadly reflected in the playing/gaming market to which I belong).

I realize that these changes are to bring consistency and that consistency is one of the hallmarks of product polishing (particularly in relation to locking in world-parity before oh, I dunno, a big push to [some unknown, but exciting end])... I'm totally good with it.

If anything, I'd like to add a request to get an option for on-mouseover tool tips (and corresponding user preference settings for delay, state (i.e., on, off, etc))... hm. Actually that can be broadened to stories that deal with both RSI and usability:

1. As a user, I must spend less time clicking to access gameplay so I can reduce the likelihood of inducing repetitive strain injury.

2. As a user, I must be able to access/use a specific gameplay action within 3 clicks (maximum) so I spend less time navigating, more time playing.

3. As a user, I must be able to correctly infer methods of engaging with the game, content, and system commands so I spend less time trying to learn the interface and more time playing.

I could go on, but let's face it, I shouldn't. (grin)
    Bherel Auphun (Chaos - main)
    Roasted Sumatra (Chaos)

Sassi Quickwing (Blight)
    [Beryl, house of the Kindred Spirits, Dawn Server, R.I.P.]

Thread Information