Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [EVENT] Hours of Frost

Default [EVENT] Hours of Frost

_____
    As the days get colder, citizens of the Empire begin preparing for the celebrations and general survival of the long, cold months ahead. However, this winter is different… the temperature drops sheerly out of nowhere, hitting below zero in a matter of days. Everywhere but the hottest regions in the world is blanketed in a coat of snow.
    To make matters worse, treants angrily march out of the forests, attacking settlements and destroying the stockpiles of firewood! These are not the only angry monsters out there, however… mysterious presents have been spotted in the wild, bright and shiny in their holiday wrapping.
    Every time someone has run after these mysterious presents, they have not returned.

The weather is not getting warmer. If anything, it’s getting colder. An abnormal winter is out of the question; something worse is at hand here. Something is forcing these treants into action and unleashing these mysterious killer presents, but what?
    _____

• From the 20th of December till the 21st of February, the world of Istaria will be overhauled for a Winter Event Special.
    • This event will take place on the Live Shards. (Chaos & Order)
    • Malluira is lending her knowledge of these strange happenings to any gifted willing to listen in Bristugo.
    • The first 3 quarters will have little Event GM involvement, but it all culminates into a Blight Event on the 18th of February

_____

Notes

• The new mimics added in the event, sadly, due to how their regions are set up, have the uncanny ability to survive underwater. This is not something that can be fixed in a short amount of time, but their spawns reset every maintenance.
    • The winter effect can be easily removed by any player because of a new file structure; any event files related to changing the world will be in the ‘Resources_Event’ folder.

Default Re: [EVENT] Hours of Frost

Cool.

Blighted Treant mobs please! (You guys could just do some manual spawns if you want, that's how Amon did them the first year or two of Gnomekindle)

Looks fun!

This will be fun! >

i think i spy Lem the Cold. (it would fit)

the hatchling at the end was hilarious.

Looks wonderful! I can hardly wait to shred the wrapping paper. :-)

Shivering in his bed, an early-bird Saris finally pulled back the light covers and stepped outside, bleary-eyed after a bad night's rest. Expecting slightly cool sand after a chilly desert night, he nearly fell forward when his furred foot sank into a deep bank of snow.

Fully awake now, he pulled boots on and trotted fully outside, looking in awe and horror at the heavens. A light snowfall flutters down from the sky, undeniable evidence of weather gone horribly out of whack.

All across Istaria, this scenario plays out over and over, with mixed cries of anguish and horror. Gnomes shiver in New Rachival; the various united races of Istaria huddle together next to fires in Tazoon. Animals press together for warmth all across the western continents.

Even the most steadfast doubters have been convinced now; this is no abnormal winter. Something sinister is pulling strings behind the scenes and we are all but subjects in its cold, wintry experiment.

While the humans of Dalimond hide in their homes, bracing themselves against the blizzards that have whipped up across most of the land, the Lunus in Dralk step out of their caves only to gasp in horror.

Once thought the last safe haven of this magical ice age, Dralk now suffers the same fate as the rest of Istaria; the volcanic land is covered in a blanket of freshly fallen snow. The only exceptions are where magma rises to the surface, melting away any snow that touches the immediate area.

With the horrified Dragons on board, the best mages of Istaria are combining their efforts to end this frosty nightmare. Ice Disciples hone their skills to find the source of the magic while various fire-oriented mages work to create magical wells of flame that require no wood to keep freezing citizens warm. The Helian work to guide the "naka'duskael mages" in their efforts, offering protection from Treant ambushes and digging through their own archives to find any possible clues. Even the Lunus grudgingly pitch in, letting those less fortunate than they camp in the volcanic regions around Dralk. (Of course, no puny two-legged is allowed in the glorious city that is Dralk!)

Now, previously only appearing in the night to steal firewood, the Treants of Istaria grow more angry and rebellious, attacking towns and cities directly as well as ambushing Gifted in the field. Those who escape these encounters don't do so unscathed and tell tales of giant Treants chasing them down across half the land.

The Empire is a dangerous place.

___

Note: With this update came a toned-down and revised sound for the blizzard effects. Previously, it looped every ten seconds and was louder than most other in-game sounds; now it's more of a background noise and loops every twenty seconds.

So far, Dralk is still free of snow... but I'll keep an eye out for those treant armies. We can't be having that kind of foolishness going on!

Update... it is now snowing in Dralk. Whatever foul magic is causing this appears to be getting stronger!

(I really love the effects:-)
    but not all do- and do not read forums- so do not know how to turn it off.
    I saw player this morning- logging in- saying "storm still on- makes me sick" and log off again.
    Just letting you know..)
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    (I really love the effects:-)
    but not all do- and do not read forums- so do not know how to turn it off.
    I saw player this morning- logging in- saying "storm still on- makes me sick" and log off again.
    Just letting you know..)
    The event is as opt-in opt-out is it can get, if people wish to get rid of it but not put the required effort in to do so it's out of our hands at that point.

To give some further instructions though, there currently is a readme file in resources_event\hours_of_frost that highlights the quickest way to turn of the winter (and thus the storm) effect.

The winter is getting progressively colder for all Gifted of Istaria!

However, if the snowy world is proving an issue to your gameplay, follow these simple instructions to remove it from your world:

1. Locate your "resource_paths.def" file in \istaria\resources\ and back it up.
    2. Open the file in any text editor such as Notepad or Notepad++.
    3. Locate and delete this section from the file:

ForceScanDir
    {
    string folder = "resources_event\hours_of_frost"
    string start = "2016-12-01" // yyyy-mm-dd
    string end = "2017-02-21"
    }

4. Save resource_paths.def to your desktop or any safe location.

5. Move your edited resource_paths.def back into the \istaria\resources\ folder and replace the original. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! This file cannot be overwritten in resources_override.

6 (Optional). To exclude this file from being edited in future patches, right click it and choose properties. In the General tab, next to "Attributes:" check "Read-only" and then choose "Apply". Do note that you will have to undo this after the event in the event this file is updated in the future for other content. If the launcher tries to modify this file after this change, it will come up with an error asking if you wish to continue and skip the file - always choose yes.
    Oooooh, what does this button do?

I think you need to bear in mind that not everyone is confident in going in and manually editing the game files. Suggest you add a toggle on the patcher or in game to allow the option to switch the event effects on or off.

The blizzard effect is upsetting a number of players.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Hmm, its just like RL for anyone that lives in areas that get snowstorms. They are always upsetting.
    Dacurly Dac : Phoenix Fellowship Guild : Chaos Server
    http://phoenixfellowship.clanz.co/

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing View Post
    I think you need to bear in mind that not everyone is confident in going in and manually editing the game files. Suggest you add a toggle on the patcher or in game to allow the option to switch the event effects on or off.

The blizzard effect is upsetting a number of players.
    The directions in the readme file are the best / only way to remove all winter effects and there is little we can do if people can't or don't want to edit a file. The patcher cannot delete files and I don't believe it can edit a file based on an option either.

That being said,
    /setpref environmentsystemeffects false
    Turns the blizzard off. It also turns lighting and the sky off, though.

For those that feel uncomfortable with changing anything in the files themselves, this file can also be downloaded and placed in Istaria/Resources (not override!), and should work the same.

thank you for this the blizzard was getting on my nerves and tiring me out.

also the blizzard is I think bad for epileptic people.

Don't suppose there's anyway the pets could be made purchasable for ornaments? For those of us whom the Random Number Generator is abusing quite heavily... Close to 400 red ornaments and still no red pet

Quote Originally Posted by Kerech View Post
    Don't suppose there's anyway the pets could be made purchasable for ornaments? For those of us whom the Random Number Generator is abusing quite heavily... Close to 400 red ornaments and still no red pet
    While they will not be exactly the same, there will be present pets available from the gnomekindle cashiers through another, slightly more forgiving RNG system, once the event is over.

All I can say is hang on to those ornaments...

hmm, now she tells us.. my dragon hoarded all the ornaments. he's a hungry feller..... Though I have already managed to get about 12 mimics so far anyway. Also been hunting with others when I've gotten or seen others looted, and I give them the pet.. or tell them I have plenty of my own, when asked if I wanted any of them

Quote Originally Posted by Malicore View Post
    hmm, now she tells us.. my dragon hoarded all the ornaments. he's a hungry feller..... Though I have already managed to get about 12 mimics so far anyway. Also been hunting with others when I've gotten or seen others looted, and I give them the pet.. or tell them I have plenty of my own, when asked if I wanted any of them
    Was there any particular area that seem to drop more pets? Or is it completely random? I've spent most of my time looking for red pets around Mithrils anvil and last stand. About 2 hours per night over the past weeks with no luck

Thread Information