Thread: Crafting armor advice

Default Crafting armor advice

A while back, I was asking in Marketplace for someone to make me some cargo armor and the discussion turned to whether or not you even need cargo armor while leveling crafting schools.

The pros are, you can carry a little more, but the cons are that cargo armor is tied to current craft level, so if you switch schools frequently (and I do), then you are always swapping armor, unless your schools are all the same level.

Several people mentioned that they just make a set of the highest cloth armor they can wear, tech it for crafting, and use that while leveling.

Here is my character: level 64 warrior - all construction schools are in the 55-60 level range and blacksmithing is around 65 (my highest crafting school).

So, if I follow the advice given in-game, I'd make a set of Silken armor (level 61), which can take two techs, but what techs should I use?

I looked at the HCC and am overwhelmed by which techs to put on which pieces. I just want a good all-around crafting set that will help whatever school I am in, so I'm guessing I want to boost mining, quarrying, foraging? What else?

Does anyone have a good recommendation of what techs to use for a general-purpose set of T4 cloth crafting armor?

Thanks

Default Re: Crafting armor advice

I'd only tech crafting gear once reached GMC. For the highest stuff you'll need a set teched for each school if you want to be opt in highest stuff. The only techs i would put on any would be sockets on helm and speed on the boots.

You don't really need techs on lower tiers as you can reach opt without them. Making cargo gear without techs isnt hard or expensive.

If you make a set (silk) all can use now you'll can use til ready for individual sets at 100.

Well, mostly you will be limited by what techs go on what pieces. Rings takes only some skills but not others, earrings will take only blessings, etc.(that apply to your particular school), stuff like that. Once you pick the piece, such as helm/cap, I believe the HCC will trim down the choices for techs. it shouldn't be too hard to plan it out from that point, just pick the skills for the school you are leveling.

But really, before leveling anymore crafting, you would be best to quickly finish warrior to 100. Then you can use t5 padded cloth triple teched, t5 crafting techs, instead of just 2 techs t4 teched. Of course, if you can finish a craft to 100 first, then you can wear t5 padded cloth as a 64 warrior, but this is not nearly as beneficial as doing the ADV first, because padded cloth is low armor value, and warrior can wear plate, which by t4, is at or exceeding the armor value of t5 padded cloth. So I would recommend you finish warrior, then you can pick 3 techs instead of 2 for crafting, making it easier to fit all skills/techs needed into 1 set of gear, and you get t5 techs and blessings as well. This will add about +250 to 400 skill (adding in for the boost from base stats like str,power, etc., plus t5 techs) to your crafting skills, you can really burn thru the crafting levels once you get there.

If you make the t4 crafting gear, chances are you will need 2 sets, or at least 1 set with the main skill, and possibly a second set with gathering/processing. The second set would likely only be a partial set required.

Planning out the set of gear, it's best to talk to an armorcrafter/outfitter, they can see the choices for each piece of gear, and along with your school, make recommendations on which techs go where. For blacksmith, you can level it making either tools, armor, or weapons. It's been many years since I leveled that, but most likely making and deconning tools (like scissors) will be the best exp/resource. Armor uses a lot more bars per piece. So the techs you will want will be either metalworking for tools (pretty sure anyway), or sculpting for stone tools. Either would work, you pick based on what resources are nearest to where you have a place to use silos and shops.

So the list of techs you want will be either
    sculpting
    stoneworking
    quarrying

or for metal tools
    metalworking
    mining
    smelting

when one or more of the above cannot go on a piece, see if armorers benevolence (I think that's the t5 one), miners benevolence, will go on. Find a blessing with metalworking. Also Strength helps, dex likely does also. Figure out which boosts the skill by the most and use that. check skill levels of each, while getting gift str, dex, power etc to see whats best for each skill. Use the second best boost as the base (like dex jwl) then tech str on, when you are going to tech a stat on. when you can tech crafting skills and blessing for all 3 tech slots, and no stat needed, then use the best stat for the base such as str. Also, depending on which base jwl type you choose, will sometimes change the available choices for the techs that can be applied. So you have to be thorough when planning it all out..

TLDR: It's complicated
    Last edited by Guaran; January 4th, 2017 at 10:29 PM.

Thanks for the information. It's going to take me a while to wrap my head around all that

You simply cannot have just 1 set of all-purpose armor, there are simply too many skills for one set of armor. Your best bet is to get a set with blessings related to the 3 schools you plan on working on the most. blessings are the easiest to tech because there are no monster comps required to make them.
    realistically, for general purpose crafting you will need probably 4 sets of armor, 1 for metal, 1 for stone, 1 for wood, and 1 for organics.

Thanks. I hadn't looked at blessings yet

Thread Information