Thread: Live Copy Token

It depends which server board I think is which.

Default Live Copy Token

We have the transfer tokens, we got a Blight -> Live transfer token, we now have an unlimited transfer token!...but they're all transfers.

Now, why do we need a copy token?

Some people just want to be with people on other servers. Others are tired of the population of their home server but don't want to leave their friends stranded if they leave. Others want to have a more gameplay-oriented experience on one server while also having a role-play-oriented one on the other but keep their same character. Many just want to be able to play on both servers with both crowds without having to entirely wipe the slate clean and start over. Plus, if we keep getting different events for both servers, who doesn't want to try and attend them all?

These people did all the work, after all. They just don't want to have to do it again because the opposite server is a transfer only, making you wave goodbye to your plot and your friends.

I understand the concern with transfer tokens. I can think of issues right off the bat.

1. Pricing. Is it more expensive or less expensive than transfer tokens? If more, would people even buy it? If less, who would ever buy transfers?
    2. Copying a character means duplicating everything. Meaning you can copy. And copy. And copy. And suddenly your 1 new epic item becomes 3 over on the other server and money rains upon thee from your copied supplies of gold!

Thing is... this is all that comes to mind. And I can easily respond to both of these points.

1)
    To be honest, I would buy a copy token even if it cost double the current transfer token and that's not even a exaggeration. Personally, I would seriously pay $50 to copy my main to Chaos. Of course not all will, but a copy token would probably be something that is held in high regard and something many people would want. There are so many people I've spoken to who would love to copy their character to Chaos or to Order to hang out with their opposite-server friends or participate in opposite-server events but don't want to lose their home server. Considering current transfer tokens are $25 a piece, maybe copies could be $30? Or lower transfer to $20 and make copying $25? Something a bit more expensive, but still tempting.

2)
    Restrictions. Very heavy restrictions. For Blight -> Live right now, we have it so that you cannot transfer a copy, you cannot transfer a character that has existed for less than 2 years, you cannot transfer a character with GM/testing items, etc. Those are to prevent Blight characters from becoming the new way to level characters in a sort of pay to win way since Blight has double coin, double EXP, etc.

So, for live, we could implement these restrictions:
    • You cannot copy a character that has already been copied recently - minimum 1 year interim.
    • Copied characters cannot be duplicates. A pre-existing copy must be deleted to make way for a new copy.
    • Legacy items cannot be copied. (For example Primal Vengeance, Primal Flash, the Moss Club, etc) This is to avoid trading the item to another person and then re-copying your character to create duplicates, even over years. (It could be scanned for/deleted from the copy's inventory to avoid having to delete it from your character's inventory pre-copy, I imagine)

So how does this sound? What do you all think?

Default Re: Live Copy Token

Very well spoken! I think these are things important to think about. Especially the pricing--I know if I ever wanted to transfer it'd be way out of my price range. Hand-in-hand with everything else you mentioned, I don't see why it would be a problem.
    "Normality is a paved road. It's comfortable to walk on, but no flowers grow on it." - Vincent Van Gogh

I'd love this tbh... that way I wouldn't have to choose between having a larger player base and the shard that's been my home for years.
    Having a copy of Mach/Hetanko on both shards would really save me a lot of headache too since I would want to keep a character on each shard just to keep an eye on how things are and having the ability to craft anything at any time is a good motivator to level new characters XD

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

Please let this be seriously considered and made possible. I'm 100% for this, and would pay to be able to copy Fireth and Elain to Chaos.

A server merge discussion always receives so much negativity, that those for it would benefit from being able to copy a character to another shard. A full solution? Maybe not, but a good step towards it.
    Denaryr, ancient, 100/100/36/10Fireth, ancient, 100/100/19

While this is a well-thought out idea, I have to strongly object to DELETING legacy items upon copy. That is too steep of a price to pay!

I have several characters that actually USE legacy items and outright losing those would be unacceptable.

However, here's a compromise, ATTUNE all legacy items on copy instead, that way, it would stop any of that 'selling off legacy items' that was mentioned, that would be a much more fair exchange.

Ri'ta'ra'thi Is'mi'nei: Season 100 ADV/100 CRA/100 BLK(former)/100 LSH/ 1.11 BILLION hoard
    Kytitia Pyrrithia: Unparalleled Rating 212 Saris Sorceror, Rating 234 Crafter

Attuning works too, true, if that's possible. I was just thinking of a way to prevent people from duplicating them/selling them off via copies, even if it's super slow. I don't have anything against people having them

I Like it.

I asked to COPY G to Order a few years ago, so to keep the Dragons there supplied with pv/emi chest scales. Was told no.

If they do allow copying, make it $50, and one time only. You can take your items with you, including legacy. But just make it a one time option. Once copied, you are done for that toon, no more copies to a live shard. Since using my primal vengeance (for the benefit of order shard) was the original reason I wanted to be copied, I wouldn't want that removed. Attuning isn't needed for this, since it is scribed.

But you are right, now that events can happen on the 2 live shards that are different from each other, a copy option is a great idea.

Also, for those not wanting to abandon order, but want to try playing on Chaos, they can do so. Keep plot restrictions as is, so if they have a plot on order, they would have to sell it before buying a plot on Chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    Since using my primal vengeance (for the benefit of order shard) was the original reason I wanted to be copied, I wouldn't want that removed. Attuning isn't needed for this, since it is scribed.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear in the original post but I meant attuning / deleting / etc unscribed/trade-able items that are floating around the inventory so, for example, a spare PV tech. Copy to Chaos with it, trade it to someone, delete copy, recopy, trade it again.. it's a multi-year process but suddenly Chaos just 'appears' with 2 extra unscribed techs.

Attuning would fix that issue, but I meant for anything scribed to be left alone since it can't be traded/duplicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    Also, for those not wanting to abandon order, but want to try playing on Chaos, they can do so. Keep plot restrictions as is, so if they have a plot on order, they would have to sell it before buying a plot on Chaos.
    Not sure why you would have to delete your plot on Order, in this example? Unless you mean someone who only has 1 plot slot, anyway, which would make this a given regardless

I already can own a plot on both servers just by creating a new character anyway since I have 2 subs. If you pay for 2 subs you should be able to own 2 plots regardless of server. To get around that regulation of 'copied character can't buy plots' you could also just make a new character to avoid it anyway. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    Sorry if I wasn't clear in the original post but I meant attuning / deleting / etc unscribed/trade-able items that are floating around the inventory so, for example, a spare PV tech. Copy to Chaos with it, trade it to someone, delete copy, recopy, trade it again.. it's a multi-year process but suddenly Chaos just 'appears' with 2 extra unscribed techs.

Attuning would fix that issue, but I meant for anything scribed to be left alone since it can't be traded/duplicated.
    I am the only one with an unscribed copy. I already gave one to an order player (Dorrin) who doesn't play anymore... I'm not giving the last one I got away.. If I was copied to order, I would be able to provide the shard with any of those scales that are needed. But, if that unscribed one didn't come over, I wouldn't care.

More likely, it's things like old weapons, BHMs, that are where there could be some possibility of exploiting. Give them to an alt, copy the alt over, the alt gives them back, then on shard2, the copied alt gives them to alt2, alt2 copies back, now you've just doubled the item.

Granted, that would be expensive. And I think the Copy option should cost twice as much as the move option we already have. You are getting an already leveled toon out of it, fully geared, got all your spells, got all your Gold, etc etc.

And of course, at that price, I am not actually sure I would really ever do it. I already participate in order events with a character created on order...

This seems more like an idea that order players would use. But with the move option being cheaper, move would likely continue to be more popular.

It's a nice idea, but ultimately would require a bunch of work to accomplish (attuning all their old stuff? Some sort of manual process by the dev's? ugh), and if they don't get to take their legacy items (what determines if its legacy?) at all, as Racktor originally suggested, even fewer players will use copy. What situation would they want to copy instead of move? To "try out" chaos or order? At twice the price of a move, and when making a new toon is free? That doesn't make any sense. To play in events? This is only possible reason I can think of, but the price is going to be too high, when you can make a new toon for free, and level it fast with double exp.

I think players should just use the move option that's already available. Dev's can better spend their time on new content and events.

*rezzes thread*
    So since copy tokens has been confirmed as being in the works by at least one developer in the Discord chat, is there an ETA for these and what limitations are there beyond what the transfer tokens have?

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

Quote Originally Posted by Machaeon View Post
    is there an ETA for these
    Not just yet. From what I know, the technical work is done and the final steps are being worked on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machaeon View Post
    and what limitations are there beyond what the transfer tokens have?
    I don't know if the restrictions are final as of yet, so I don't feel comfortable saying them, but I will say that they are more restrictive than transferring and will likely delete a few things for most people. Duplicating items is a very real issue that we want to be careful about.

Funny timing.

They're available now via http://accounts.istaria.com/ ! The restrictions/policy is outlined here - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...zH32VufbG8/pub

Please note that they currently will likely not show up in your launcher - that's not in just yet! You will have to send in a ticket to request the copy until the launcher is updated with the deliverable.

Thread Information