Thread: A Quick Question About Reaction Distance

Default A Quick Question About Reaction Distance

When I am playing Istaria now, I find statements like "Enraged Yew Treant notices you and has turned away" or the centipedes in Doom (death crawlers or something) is "staring at you" all the time now. The question is they are usually 75 m away. Should these monsters be seeing me from such a long distance. Some ignore me from those distances but some react to me and I can't see them at all. The problem is sneaking by these creatures now. I usually do not notice most creatures until about 50 m. They react to me before I know they are there. Is this normal? I do not recall being "set upon" from such long distances. I asked here because I do not know if this is a bug or normal. If normal, what is the normal reaction range? Some creatures I can get to within 20 m or less before they react. This 75 m reaction range is new to me. Thank you. Slimey on Order

Default Re: A Quick Question About Reaction Distance

The average agro radius is around 25m (but it can be different on different mobs) but it can scale up or down depending on your rating compared to them. There is also a random (roll of dice) which is why somethings they noticed you and turn away and sometimes they outright attack. 75m does sound kind of high, but if your rating is very low compared to them, thats a possibility why it's scaling up.

A mob can also be set with a hard agro radius to where the mob will never do anything unless you are specifically within the meter range. If they're not, then the agro radius can scale up or down from the base amount. A good example of this is a level 5 walking through a forest with level 30 mobs. They will see you much farther away than if you were level 30 yourself. If you were level 60, they would be more forgiving and give you a free pass more often than not.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

I think 75m is too high and don't know cause of it. I am a lvl 67 Bloodmage with adventure rating of 208. I think I am high enough to not be bothered. I have noticed lately that most monsters are reacting to me from longer distances. Maybe I am wearing a sign that says "Eat Me". I wondered if this was a bug or not. Thanks. Slimey on Order

Okay, I talked to the tech team about this. There are two ranges, a perception range and an agro range. One is 150m, the other is set per monster AI but, as Cegaiel said, usually averages around 20m. When the monster notices you, it determines if it will agro or not. If it chooses not to, there's ~ 2% chance it will display a "silly" message.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Thread Information