Thread: Talk to the Team: Conjurer

Default Talk to the Team: Conjurer

With the next content update nearing completion, we're once again looking at projects on our backlog to implement for the next update. One of the items on the list was Conjurer, so I wanted to put this to the community for feedback.

Conjurer
    Conjurer is currently a school that has little actual focus, but instead has a few useful abilities such as Glaring Quills, Infix Fury, and Glare. What type of school does it want to be? A Nuker? A Crowd Controller? A Debuffer?

What is a Conjurer?
    - A person who conjures
    - A performer of tricks

How would this be implemented?
    Conjurer should be a school that would work to debuff enemies or buff allies through the use of “illusions”, while providing some direct nuking support. Conjurer would do this through the use of summoned combat allies that would provide a “specialization” and a set of abilities.

These abilities would provide buffs, debuffs, and attacks as well as potential direct benefits to the caster. Conjurers would no longer use the Ice/Flame Elements as a mana-like resource to cast.

Summons
    Summon abilities would be tied together and would have a lengthy recycle to discourge frequent switching.

Kheprit Beetle - Flame Ally

• Flame Adept (Passive)
    • Fireflies - An Illusion of Fire that acts as a Mez and causes the target to take greater damage from fire.
    • Raging Elemental - An illusion of Fire that emboldens the caster’s allies, increasing +FireResistance and causing their attacks to have a %Chance to cause extra fire damage.
    • Phoenix Rising - Flame AoE, %Chance to cause Burning (Fire DoT) or Terrified (Mez)
    • Infix Fury - An illusion of Fire that enhances a weapon to do extra fire damage (ethereal)

Hrimwarg - Ice Ally, Viking word for Hoarfrost and Old English word for Wolf

• Ice Adept (Passive)
    • Hoarfrost - An Illusion of Ice that acts as a Mez and causes the target to take greater damage from ice.
    • Fata Morgana - An illusion of Ice that acts as a protective barrier to all within the AoE range, providing +IceResistance to allies and giving their attacks to do extra ice damage.
    • Icy Whirlwind - Ice AoE, %Chance to cause Freezing (Ice DoT) or Frozen (Stun)
    • Wuot Iss - An illusion of Ice that enhances a weapon to do extra ice damage (ethereal)

Armadillo - Martial Ally

• Glaring Quills (Passive) (While Equipped)
    • Cloud of Barbs - An illusion of Matter that causes the target to take greater damage from Piercing and Slashing attacks.
    • Barb of Jor’dan - Directed and ranged matter attack, %Chance to cause Overburdened (Slow)
    • Barrier of Alma-Tok - An illusion of Matter that provides the target with temporary enhanced resistance to Crush, Slash and Piercing damage (Was Ice Barrier)

Living Spark - Energy Ally, Thunder Blight

• Energy Adept (Passive)
    • Glare - Ranged energy attack, %Chance to cause Blinded (Stun)
    • Dancing Rapier - Illusion of Energy, a rapier that floats around the target and causes the target to become distracted, greatly raises the caster’s evasion.
    • (One more illusion, TBD)

Directed

• Coordinated Matter Bolt

Support

• Summoning Affinity
    • Shield of Torkath - Absorbs one incoming special attacks (was Phoenix Shield)
    • Barrier of Torkath - Absorbs three incoming special attacks
    • Wall of Torkath - Absorbs five incoming special attacks (not masterable)

"Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Right behind you when you're not looking!

Default Re: Talk to the Team: Conjurer

Well you got me hooked to that idea there, as I actively played CONJ for a looong time and still might do from time to time.
    However, the new infix fury and wuot iss, sound nice, but will it work with spells? As a spellcaster, I want that on my spells too. :p

Myself I played conjurer mainly as a rather hard hitting nuker, that can buff a bit too, so I would love to see some more damaging abilities or even spells unique to it that can show that nuking side a bit more since it really has the porential to ‘conjure’ those nuking abilities out of nowhere ;)
    Would also love if Phoenix Rising and its new counterparts aren’t casted from the caster’s center, mage going into CQC, that’s battlemage imo.

Love the pet idea, but... Say I already got the Surtheim ally equipped or a spider that’s full with items and I can’t put it into my inventory, doesn’t this mean I lose half my abilities then?
    Also if I die just after summoning a pet (can happen during an epic hunt), doesn’t that mean I’ll lose half of my abilities for the remainder of the fight too? :l
    Also small dislike to not being able to use the buffs at all times anymore there, but well, that’s because I love lots of buffs hah.

Though.. Illusions? Isn’t that more fit for Sorc? To me conjurer conjures actual physically impacting things, using the summoning skill and the ‘arcane element’ skills imbued into said conjured thing (spell/ability/pet).
    Like say summoning the armor from Shining Blades seems a good fit to me, or the ‘rage of the energy demon’ spell from the epic spells video, conjuring an energy demon from the realm of energy. Or the ‘Dancing Rapiers’ (possesed? :p) that help protect you.

While there’s a lot of definitions that say a magician, illusionist, there’s also those that say conjurers summon spirits, demons, something ‘supernatural’ that’s what I think fits istaria’s conjurer more.
    As we got Sorc for illusions no? :p

Since I’m kinda against the illusions (heh.) , instead of illusions that deal extra <type> damage, maybe ‘conjurers a helping <type> being/demon/spirit/golem that coordinates its attacks with the target’s ‘ (description).
    Last edited by flamefeniks; October 4th, 2017 at 06:26 PM.
    Light covers night, night fades, when it does, storms come. ~Storm Dragons
    I'm watching you hehe :3 ~Me
    Currently Getting Coppers, gaining Silver, making Gold, Pursuing Mithril!

One flame/ice/slash/crush/pierce resistance increases (Kheprit, Hrimwarg, Armadillo) - unless it provides a boost of at several thousand (2000 at LEAST) resistance, this is useless. If you don't want to boost resistance by that much, consider instead something that decreases incoming damage by e.g -15% (saying that number provisionally, but also, if they ONLY protect against these damage types - of which ice is used incredibly rarely (fire at least has surthiem to it and the melee resistances are nice for most normal enemies and SoG) - then it needs to be big to be worth it in the situations that call for it, and since it is only protecting against one damage type it shouldn't be OP.)

On a related note - having +resistance to fire and then an ability which also increases somethings weakness to fire (and then ice for the wolf respectively) isn't really useful. Thats because most things which do flame damage (and so a shield is good for) also resist flame damage (making the +damage part useless), same for things which do ice damage generally resist ice damage. So...one part of these abilties will always be useless. Unless how the abilties in question (hoarfrost, fata morgana, fireflies, raging elemental) generally has two effects as an answer to this predicament - in which case i'd expect both parts of these abilties to be powerful as one part will always be useless anyway. (barrier of amla tok suffers slightly less from this due to 2/3 damage types that don't always present this issue - though it still does, just less, unlike pretty much everything that deals ice/fire damage is highly resistant to their respective damage type.)

Dancing Rapier's boost to evasion is another thing where i go hmmm, because, just like damage resistances, you need A LOT to see any impact at all, so i expcet that again to be an least 1500 boost.

-

I like it, but it needs to have good stats to be a useful biped school. If it's given the low stats on abilties and buffs/debuffs that most debuff schools get (-gestures to mystics which are redeemed entirely by syphons- -gestures to energy damage which is redeemed entirely by stuns-) with no redeeming factor like they have (i don't really see any unless damage is high - but with the low damage of the arcane caster schools in general, im not really sure what would become of high damage in conj), then it'll be useless still.
    Words done by Theeda! (http://ferrety-lixciaa.deviantart.com/) ~ What you gonna do when I go? And it's all on the table ~ When your time is up when your love won't make a sound? ~ What you gonna do then? It's almost too much to handle! ~

Right behind you when you're not looking!

Azath brings up some points I didn’t think about yet too... Totally correct there with it mainly being useless since fire based mobs usually are immume if not near immume to fire... So summoning the fire pet for an also useless resistance buff isn’t the best thing to do. Idem for ice pet.

Though a 1500 boost in evasion instead of a ward/resistance, now that’s a different cookie. 250-500 of that shows already a noticeable difference. Resistance on the other hand... I don’t notice much if anything with 1k resistance of a type.

So I’d prefer either a damage boost of said type as passive or an incoming damage reduction for that type instead of resistance/ward, though it would still be not so useful as once again, you get tougher against say fire, but at the same time, you grow weaker in damage since now half of your attacks, if not more, are pretty much fighting fire with fire.
    While you could say ‘<tier> cystal of ice damage’ but lower tier = less damage once again and higher tier = more incoming fire damage, making an incoming fire damage reduction pretty much void. Plus extra damage on hit doesn’t change with a damage type modifier (and counts like frozen weapon tech kit probably as some kind of spell damage, making it void against project x , might be other mobs that resist ‘spells’ like that..)
    Last edited by flamefeniks; October 4th, 2017 at 06:47 PM.
    Light covers night, night fades, when it does, storms come. ~Storm Dragons
    I'm watching you hehe :3 ~Me
    Currently Getting Coppers, gaining Silver, making Gold, Pursuing Mithril!

Quote Originally Posted by flamefeniks View Post
    Though.. Illusions? Isnít that more fit for Sorc? To me conjurer conjures actual physically impacting things, using the summoning skill and the Ďarcane elementí skills imbued into said conjured thing (spell/ability/pet).
    Agree with this 100% - illusions seems more down sorc's path. I'd think a conjurer is one to pick at the very roots of elemental magic, calling forth beasts by plucking at the link between istaria and the realms of magic themselves.
    Words done by Theeda! (http://ferrety-lixciaa.deviantart.com/) ~ What you gonna do when I go? And it's all on the table ~ When your time is up when your love won't make a sound? ~ What you gonna do then? It's almost too much to handle! ~

Thread Information