Thread: Ok returning player and some observation after a month

Default Ok returning player and some observation after a month

I came back and started playing over a month ago just some things that I have observed being back for a month. (note I am not leaving just some general things I noticed).

Ok I have two characters from when I played back day 1 launch yes that long ago initially when i played I made the dumb mistake of splitting my crater and adventure yea it hurt when I hit tier 4 metal on my weapon smith gerr. My choices when I came back levl 68 spearman/64 healer a few sub levels of stuff for buffs and very geared out before i left in cobalt chainmail etc etc like 11 levels of mining.

Or a level 65 weapon smith/40 fitter with 20 levels monk and 13 levels cleric and 20 levels warrior and a few other things in crafting low level. I had some really good crafting gear

I made the right decision way easier to level melee classes than crafting so i decided I am going to level my Weaponsmith character. In this last month I have gotten to 55 Levels of Flame Disciple/ 48 levels cleric and 30 spirtitist. I took miner to level 51 and gotten my weapon crafting to 67.

The good people are helpful and will help you with gear.

Now the issue starting spells yes you can buy some but there were big gaps in spells available and very little on connie in Kion when you are first starting it is kind of frustrating because you are learning the ropes you just want to be able to just buy all the beginner spells nope most are not available yes I know you can have some craft them; great maybe you are not ready for that because you are still learning so I can see a new person frustration.

Now the good if you ask and a person that can make the spells are logged in they will usually help out make you spells and give them to you free so great that is nice.

Now I have advanced I need more advanced stuff I am not at the 100 level stuff I need mid level tier and I want it teched yea good luck if the right person is on you are in business great. That is the issue this is not like the old days were we had thousands of people and you could find someone easy.

Now comes the issue with teching great i need this this and this to tech great ok I farm and got these parts oh I need essences oh I need a crafting skill for those oh I know I will just go to the the connies and nope none of them have any for sell great now I am stuck I either have to find someone in the chat channel that is on that can go farm and make them for me or I have to level another crafting school just great just what I did not want to have to do learn every craft school so i can get something I need made.

Like I said it is not all bad if the right person is logged on they will help and most people are helpful but I could see returning players or new people being frustrated. I do not know the answer these are just my observation after being back for a month.

Note this is coming from a BiPed and all I play is Biped so yes I know it is easier to get Dragon stuff in this game.

Default Re: Ok returning player and some observation after a month

Welcome back to Istaria! I hope you stay a while with us.
    I do believe this post should be moved to "Rant Istaria Style"

Joining a guild or making friends will increase you chances of getting more help. Many player (including myself) are afk for reasons beyond their control, so they don't reply to your request. If you want to do most things on your own, which is great also you can lvl some key crafts first. If I were starting a new character or had a low craft/ adventure character then I would try the following:
    Level your miner and blacksmith up to say 75 or even better 81. The craft classes that use metal and stone will lvl faster then. There you can make tools and weapons for your craft/adventure. Then join gatherer ( don't have to lvl that just yet, just join) Then join Outfitter and lvl that with smelting to make armor later. With your miner and blacksmith to 75 or 81 you can lvl outfitter a lot faster. Also that will help jeweler to lvl with smelting faster. Blacksmith gets stoneworking so leveling your scholar on stone will be faster and not have to do sandstone.
    Check out Istaria Lexica and view the craft classes and the skill points they gain. It can help you decide the quickest way to lvl your schools.
    Also think about getting one adventure class up that gets top skill points for Armor Use to assist you in lvling other adventure classes later. You can use your outfitter then to make teched cloth to lvl a lower level adv class.
    All games can be overwhelming if you reach too high at the starting gate

good luck
    cheers

Default Re: Ok returning player and some observation after a month

Couple of tips for you regarding teching, since you mentioned that.

For early levels, don't bother teching adventure gear. Doesn't make enough difference to hassle with unless you are in a guild and they have an ample supply on hand of the mats. Once you get to level 41+ gear, with 2 tech slots, it can help. Wherever you can put sockets, just use those (cheap) and put crystals in. This would be helm, weapon, and shield if your class can use that. But the 2 hand weapons do more damage, tends to go faster without the shield.

Early craft gear, not a bad idea to tech, but gear only has a single tech slot. So you likely need 2 sets of certain pieces of the armor/jewelry, 1 for processing (say smelting making bars) and the next for the school's skill like weaponcraft or armorcraft. A full set of teched gear with those skills will help. on pieces that cannot take those techs, check if blessings will apply, and if not, just skip teching anything. And most pieces will not overlap in choices, so when I say 2 sets it more like 1.25 sets.

The best thing to do is find a group to hunt with, and get 1 adventure school to 100. Then worry about crafting. As level 100 adv, you can wear t5 gear which has 3, t5 tech slots. Triple teched with t5 crafting techs will amazingly accelerate the craft leveling. You will be able to jump directly into mid tier 2 and the craft levels will zoom. Also, don't bother with cargo gear, use whatever t5 armor your adventure school can use, likely padded ironsilk at a minimum. Get the 1st craft school to 100, then you can now powerlevel adv classes #2 and on wearing t5 padded ironsilk with triple t5 adventure techs, even as a level 1 adventure class. That really helps survivability, wearing that up until you can wear t4 t5 actual armor for that school (if it wears chain or plate). I did my schools all the way to the 80's before switching to say t5 chainmail (again with triple t5 techs). If you get started like this, but are finding t5 tech comps expensive or hard to find, just make the first set with t3 techs. They are close to as good but are way cheaper and easier to get comps.

The first school will be slowest to level, that's just how it is. The middle tiers it can be difficult to find someone to group with, but you can instead hunt for trophies doing those quests which give good exp.

Thread Information