Thread: Im not renewing my subscription ...

Default Im not renewing my subscription ...

.. to EQ2 ... gave it a month, Horizons is immensely better.

Good work AE !
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Garden Gnome - Order
    Impure Mage lvl 52 / Enchanter 45 / Spellcrafter 42 / Mason 23
    ( Last of the Forgotten )
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    (99.6% html free signature)
    Nicolas de Chamfort : "Swallow a toad in the morning and you will encounter nothing more disgusting the rest of the day."

Default Re: Im not renewing my subscription ...

...u know, most people will misunderstand this post...

Quote Originally Posted by Magfuddle

Good work AE !
    Good! Glad to see not everyone is running off to that POS game. HZ is much better.

Somehow I doubt this thread will stay here for long, hehe.

I've heard both good and bad about EQ2. More bad now, than good.

Soulfyre

Quote Originally Posted by Magfuddle

Good work AE !
    Bah! Evil gnome.. made a dragon pout.

Nice trick title..hehe. Glad you are staying.

Both EQ2 and WoW will draw people away from Horizons... because well the adventuring systems in those games blows this one away. For some though it doesn't. I would fully expect that some of those that left for EQ2 and WoW will come back to horizons. Some but not many.

But EQ2 and WoW are not games that would challenge a healthy MMO. The game that will directly challenge Horizons is WISH. Why ? because HZ has Crafting and plots. Niether of those games can challenge HZ in this respect. WISH however can. But as we have seen its best not to count your eggs with an MMO till its release because whats spouted and promised pre release and during beta as we have seen isn't always the case.

Thats the game I hope that AE is preparing for because it challenges HZ in critical areas.

I played EQ2 beta, thought it was vastly superior to HZ in ALL aspects except 4.

Crafting.
    Offline selling.
    Soloing.
    Dev attitude.

I'm not a crafting nut, but I like to augment my char through crafting, and be able to help my guild, back whenthere were plenty of people, including noobs to help.

I don't want to leave my comp on all night to sell stuff, I don't want to look at comp in the morning to see that I had a CTD overnight and sold jack-all, and Idon't want to sit in my room staring at the woodwork in order to sell stuff. I want to put stuff on sale and head out to fight.

And I didn't like getting to level 17 and having next-to-no mobs to kill solo, and seing most of my quests requiring me to kill grouped mobs. I don't mind some group only, even guild only (raid) content, but not 95% ofit including the whole dungeon zone of Vermin Snye.

Oh, and the SOE team are just far too arrogant and hell bent on keeping to their "vision" refusing to even listen to the player base but stating in the forums (many times regarding the first 3 above) that "we feel that this would happen if we did what you want," "this is how we have designed the game, it won't change" "this is the way we want to the lead the player through his/her development into the upper levels." Those are not direct quotes, but pretty close.

The HZ team may be smaller, with fewer resources, and for a time not very communicative, but they are much more humble and far more attentive to their customers complaints and suggestions.

SlammerBC

I played WoW beta for quite some time and after the initial surprises it amazed me how similar all these games really are. It's one reason why I'll be keeping my account in HZ.

The game I'm excited about and have beta tested is Guild Wars. Because it is non subscription though, I'll be keeping my HZ account too.

gopher65

Really? I didn't know guild wars was non-sub. I might have to try that out now.

Yep, Guild Wars has no monthly subscription, they will just be releasing expansion packs every 6 months or so,but even then you don't need those to keep playing. Its due for release in Feb.

I agree, Wish will be the game that will most likely challenge Horizons and Ultima Online and may poll a large base ofsubscribers from these gamesas well. But we are still a good ways from seeing that one released.
    - The Paladin is the Judge, the Jury and Executioner!
    - Zarcharien Justice - Lvl 100 Paladin & 71 Armorer
    - "Evil can only triumph, if Good stands by and does nothing."

gopher65

oh well that bites:P. Paying 50 dollars in subs every 6 months or paying 50 dollars for a expansion every 6 months is the same thing to me. Granted in EQII you will pay for both:).

Moving to Offtopic, Glad you decided to stick around hough :)

Krald

I have renewed my subscription to EQ2

Now I apologise if this reply is too much of another thingie vs thingie reply but I just want to put my viewpoint across as to why I'm subbed to EQ2 and not HZ

In ways I'd like to go back to HZ, but multiclassing is impossible to balance in a way thats actually fun and challenging all the time, and there too much tedium. But I liked events and such.. sigh :o. When I played HZ I found I enjoyed playing pure classes or near to pure classes because what I fight is often a challenge and I have to use most of what I have to win. Now when I multiclass, I find its not fun to level up a secondary class solo because the skills are not tailored very well and they aren't "me", but when I do it in a group I feel like a leech and I feel I'm not contributing enough until higher levels (which I don't want to stick about to get). So I prefer defined roles and over-the-top balancing to ensure you always contribute and encounters are always challenging.

EQ2 doesn't please me all the time, but its a new world to explore, new beasts to defeat, new challenges to overcome.. and that beats HZ for me.

Now sure HZ may have revamped its world a bit but it still looks similar and the combat system is to my knowledge the same. Plus exploring is usually extremely easy and loot dull. What makes exploring fun for me are three things, one is seeing new places, another is actually wondering what lurks there and what challenge it will present for me and if I can go there easily then I can see it all in a short time. Another is wondering what that big nasty or group of mobs will drop. So I can have more fun exploring in EQ2 partly because of newness and partly because of it just excelling in such areas more.

If they do a nice big war vs the WA with town/castle sieges and such like I suggested in a reply to the post here I might well come back to HZ but I cannot come back to tedium and repetition. Those blight anchors and invasion system do not sound sufficient either even if they may well be a step in the right direction.

I guess what it all boils down to though is this: I will have to stay on a big long break from HZ, time for the game to grow, for them to get various systems in, and then maybe I will have something to keep me entertained for at least a couple of months. So I'll give it 6 months or so.. or just till I get bored of WoW or EQ2 (which I probably will).

Thunndar

LOL glad we have one less playing eq2 then, hell every server is still packed, so maybe we'll get a bit more bandwidth.

You are one of the few that thinks HZ is all that, hope you still have a game to play a year for now, meanwhile I will explore new lands, fight different creatures ( instead of the same 10 mobs in HZ ), play with more than the handleful of people that are left on HZ's servers, not have to search for 10 mins for something to fight, be able to log in etc etc.

Beleive me when I say that HZ is being rated as the worst MMORG, even beating out AC2. there is a reason why 1 server in eq2 has more playing than all of HZ.

But hey tomorrow's the 15th, there may or may not be a HZ left to play.

Trust me there is way worse being said about HZ then there ever will be said about eq2.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunndar
    LOL glad we have one less playing eq2 then, hell every server is still packed, so maybe we'll get a bit more bandwidth.

You are one of the few that thinks HZ is all that, hope you still have a game to play a year for now, meanwhile I will explore new lands, fight different creatures ( instead of the same 10 mobs in HZ ), play with more than the handleful of people that are left on HZ's servers, not have to search for 10 mins for something to fight, be able to log in etc etc.

Beleive me when I say that HZ is being rated as the worst MMORG, even beating out AC2. there is a reason why 1 server in eq2 has more playing than all of HZ.

But hey tomorrow's the 15th, there may or may not be a HZ left to play.

Trust me there is way worse being said about HZ then there ever will be said about eq2.

You really like being the holy evangelist of EQ2, don't you?
    Gotta admit, I still don't give a rat's ****** about that game - for me, it's utter crap. Has nothing to do with amount of players, graphics, sounds or server numbers - it's some basic things in the core of the game that I do not like at all.

Face it, different people wants different things. If you like EQ2 fine by me, but don't sit around on other forums telling everyone that EQ2 r0x0r and their game of choice sux.

Either way, enjoy your game, I'll enjoy mine.
    Celenor Sarafien - Unity - Proud member of Shinzawai.
    93 ranger/47 healer/37 tailor/36 mage/21 weaver/15 fletcher

I like HZ for crafting and I play WoW because well its a great game. Both cater to the casual gamer.

I wouldn't say for instance that HZ is better than both WoW and EQ2 because its not. The game is simply too weak adventuring wise. But it does have its strong points thats for sure.

As said the game to watch is WISH. That game will challenge HZ in many critical areas and some hope that WISH will be the game that HZ could have been. A truley dynamicmassive world with a crafting system that will match if not beat HZ's.

That is the game that David Bowman needs to watch because if executed properly it can even draw the hardcore loyalists away from Horizons.

Thread Information