Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Verio Strikes Back

Default Re: Verio Strikes Back

Glad everything went good, atleast for AE :). Thanks for the update Dangit!
    - The Paladin is the Judge, the Jury and Executioner!
    - Zarcharien Justice - Lvl 100 Paladin & 71 Armorer
    - "Evil can only triumph, if Good stands by and does nothing."

Filing for bankruptcy happens every day. its meant to protect people and companies when times get bad. No one ever said it wasn't ethical to file for bankruptcy. It was the shell company game that people drew exception to. Tulga Games did not exist before July 16th 3 days before AE filed for chapter 11. Where people got angry was that AE never intended to emerge from chapter 11 but wanted to emerge as Tulga Games and more importantly debt free, so someone somewhere is going to eat the $$million plus in unsecured debt write offs only carry you so far. As far as ethics are involved here that is up to each person to judge but as I said above those are the facts involved and they are just that facts. To each their own in drawing a conclusion as to the morality of it all.

But to be blunt this was the ONLY way Horizons was going to survive. It had become obvious that no credible buyer was going to come forward. If Horizons was going to continue this was indeed the only way. Desperate people do desperate things in desperate times.

Time to move forward.

Whew, not to worry now then. Thanks for the update Dangit!

*HUGE sigh of relief*

I dont really care what they do as a company so long as I can continue to play my dragon.
    Vesuvius Veix
    100/100 Dragon of Order with 26+ Million Hoard
    Officer of the Keir Chet k'Eilerten
    "Why am I cynical you ask? Because I have been given little to make me feel otherwise."

Tryagain writes:

"But to be blunt this was the ONLY way Horizons was going to survive. It had become obvious that no credible buyer was going to come forward. If Horizons was going to continue this was indeed the only way. Desperate people do desperate things in desperate times."

Tulumello replies: Tryagain: Can you please define what a "credible buyer" is?

Shonie

Way to go Chris!!!!! Exactly the right tone. I wish you well and hope that we all come to know you for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tulumello
    Tryagain writes:

"But to be blunt this was the ONLY way Horizons was going to survive. It had become obvious that no credible buyer was going to come forward. If Horizons was going to continue this was indeed the only way. Desperate people do desperate things in desperate times."

Credible: a buyer from the outside that has no ties (let alone familial ones, aka "nepotism") to the existing management that got the company into the situation precipitating filing Chapter 11.

However, buyout by employees I would consider credible, as long as the old management is swept aside in the process.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Actually, the management that got the company into the situation percipitating chapter 11 are swept aside. Lets see. Money was raised squandered before Chris T came along. Contracts with Verio were signed before Chris T came along.

Who really gives a flying flock if Chris T and Steve F have familial relations by marriage? I think it shows faith in the game that they go through the trouble of trying to save Horizons instead of just letting it got into some auction bin along with AE as they slide into Chapter 7.

Think about this. people ********** about AE not doing anything for the first 7 or 9 months. then they got their act together and started making head way. Chris T has not been involved with AE the company since the beginning. his involvment only came later. So lets think about this.

Nothing happening. Chris T comes along, things happen.

You can say what you like about how AE conducted itself, but trying to pin things that happen before Chris T came to AE is just a bunch of bs.

I am just happy it all worked out and am very glad to hear that there is a future for Horizons. Its a kick arse game and keeps me busy!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tulumello
    I'm pretty much a card-carrying fanboi, but I have to have a go at this one.

Chris: a credible buyer is one who's first priority is to get Horizons out of the fiscal hole it's in, reverse the hemmorage of existing players, attract new players, and provide a product that can sustain the interest of subscribers over a period of years by committing financial & headcount resources sufficient to address the client performance issues, resolve existing content, androll outhigh quality new content with frequency and regularity.

Whatever differs from this, to the extent of the difference, is not credible.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

There?s one tiny problem with your definition LaughingOtter. Anybody with the resources to do such a thing would be far better off to buy the game, shut it down, make everything better, faster and generally The Great Game This Could Have Been; then rereleasing it under a new name. I have wondered now and then if this isn?t the actual plan being pursued by Chris and David B. It depends on the resources they can muster.

I?ve seena hundredpeople now blithely assume you could fix everything wrong with this game while keeping it intact, but I?ve never seen anything to convince me it?s even possible much less practical. If the game you want happens, I bet you?ll be starting a new character in a new world. Not that I would mind starting over in a clean new world where everything worked.

Malaficeint

I'll give this one a go if themods feel like letting it be posted.

Credible ..aside from my previous post concerning honorable actions.

Credible would mean some insight as to making changess within the company...if the team that has ran the game into the ground for the last year did such a job as to require it to file for protection from it's legitimate debts. I would think it only makes logical sense to replace the management..yes...the ones who know and work upon the engine may need to be retained...but, since the currect management team has managed to botch the marketing, communication, billing, and..dare I say...accounting of the game....credible would be to myself someone who realizes how bad a shape the former company was, assign the fault and replace the faulty with capable components.

By retaining all aspects of the former company and essentially just commiting a name change...it not only reveals itself as nothing more than a "legal" ploy of avoiding debts with no penalty....but would indicate to me, if I was an investor...that nothing is going to change and the game will continue with a downward spiral. By commiting not one change in the structure or personel of the company, to me, you have given me nothing to feel like something will change with the current status qou of misdirection, falsehoods and lack of genuine improvements.

Thread Information