Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many of you have tried WISH beta?

Default Re: How many of you have tried WISH beta?

Sadly Wish is cancelled :(

For those of you that didnt like it its good riddence I guess but remember this .....

Smaller companies are the ones that develop none cookie cutter systems and concepts. Horizons is trashed by everyone except the few that subscribe.

I've played Wish for the week and the first few days were frustrating but I kept at it because I could feel a different underlying concept trying to suck me in. After a few days I'd got the levelling grind out of my system (of which Horizons is also guilty of) and had fallen under its spell.

Sadly though its all immaterial now as it can be no more :(

On good thing ... It has broken my Horizons addiction, I'm not really fussed to play this game anymore I want something different and ultimately more rewarding. Theres a handfull of people I will probably hang around for whilst my sub runs out.
    Bleri McThrust - Dwarf
    Unity - Formerly Ice

The Main Hall of Khazad-dum, fighting for freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Bleri
    Sadly Wish is cancelled [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-6.gif[/img]

I've played Wish for the week and the first few days were frustrating but I kept at it because I could feel a different underlying concept trying to suck me in. After a few days I'd got the levelling grind out of my system (of which Horizons is also guilty of) and had fallen under its spell.

I know what you mean Bleri...
    "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!!"

Fhrain Fireheart
    Dwarven Berserker at Night, Paladin in the Day
    --Pain is Temporary, Glory is Eternal--

Irrilian

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches
    I logged in, played all of five minutes, logged out, uninstalled the game.

Its definately not my cup of tea, the interface is useless. Point, click, you auto move, rinse and repeat. BLEH![img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-20.gif[/img]

"Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves."
    Brendam Beham
    Wish got the big idea right: how to bring to life a dynamic world where player actions made a difference, to engage the players in something more than just cookie cutter vending machine quests. There was a lot more to "Live Content" than just "town sieges", it just took a little trouble to read the newspaper, to explore a little to come across them.

What didn't work so well were the smaller things, Point and Click, the Interface, getting the economy right, getting combat to be engaging etc. But unlike so many games (and perhaps this is where they went wrong?), the beta was a real beta test, not a cheap marketing exercise, they were refreshingly actively taking tester feedback and working into the game.

Yes PnC was set in stone, but there were lots of suggestions on how to make it less of a hurdle, how to ease movement, how to get it right. Yes the interface was an Ergonomics nightmare, but it was serviceable enough for a beta and it looked like they recognized that it needed to be changed and there were a lot of clueful comments on how to do that hard task. The scalability of the one world server is a valid point, whether there was room for significant improvement in performance or not is going to remain an unanswered question.

And perhaps that's the problem; there were just too many little things that needed changing. MR was adamant they weren't going to release an unpolished game and thus the amount of development time required for a small team (sound familiar Peaches?) would push back the release too far for their investors.

I am truly, truly sorry to see the demise of WISH. Though I did not attempt to beta the game, I had followed it for some time and greatly admired the innovations it attempted to pull off.

And therein lies the fundamental problem with folks who zealously demean small studio games like Horizons, WISH and Saga of Rhyzom, and vocally pray for their demise while simultaneously shilling games like WoW and EQ2. It's the small studios who come up with the innovations in the MMORPG industy--who dare to travel the road not taken. MMORPG's like WoW and EQ2 are little more than rehashes of 10-year-old games with the same fundamental principals of every other mega-MMORPG. They're not about to try something innovative.

So if the small studios like AE/Tulga and Mutable Realms fold (as some folks earnestly desire), then soon there will come the day when we MMORPG players are left to the tender mercies of just EA, Blizzard and Sony, and we'll all get to play rehashes of rehashes of old games . . . .
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Thread Information