Thread: History

Default History

Hello fellow Fiends, i dug up a little history.. maybe it is still to be found within theworld of Istariabut here it is anyway [:)]

Age of the Sorcerer
    The nomenclature "Age of the Sorcerer" is used to describe the era of time approximately 300 years ago in Istarian history. The "sorcerer" for whom this Age is named is none other than Torrin Macalir, who at one point was the leader of the Human intelligentsia and the foremost magical practitioner in Istaria. It was during the Age of the Sorcerer that Macalir became corrupted though his experimentation with necromancy. The Age of the Sorcerer is also the time in Istarian history that Fiends splintered off from Human society. It is sometimes difficult to remember that previous to 300 years ago, there was no such creature as a Fiend. This Age is very much the precursor to the woe and strife that have dominated Istarian civilization since, though much like most participants in history the people of this time had little idea or grasp of the ramifications their actions would have on the future.

The Fiends and the Humans
    During the Age of the Sorcerer, Human society in a sense emulated the height of Dragon society... the very one that it had usurped at the end of the Age of the Dragon. Humans were at the forefront of almost every major endeavor in Istarian life, and had certainly made many advances in the realm of magical study and practice. With such a leadership position in Istarian life, it became very easy for the Humans to forget the lessons they learned in shaking off the reigns of Dragon domination in their life. Some feel that the Humans during this time coveted too much magical power, while others feel that Human society simply became too lax. Regardless, one of the most significant events to occur during this age was the genesis of the Fiend race from within Human civilization. In some sense, if the Humans were in fact following in the footsteps of Dragon society, what happened within Human society during this time is a much darker fate than what happened amongst the Dragons with their Great Schism. Certainly, the strife that occurred between the Humans and the soon to be Fiends tore them apart to this day and nearly destroyed the Humans forever... and it certainly allowed a young, manipulative sorcerer named Torrin Macalir to gain significant power in the halls of Human leadership with the vacuum created by the departure of the Fiends from Human society.

The creation of the Fiends and their forced removal from Human society says as much about the Human psyche of this time as anything else. Humans sought to unlock some of the greatest secrets of the use of magic ever... powers and concepts that are lost to us even during this day and age. A significant and sizeable cadre of mages decided to tap into the powers of Necromancy and Mental Domination in order to achieve the ends they sought. The powers that be during this time balked at the use of hitherto shunned magical practices in order to achieve those ends, though some think that fear, rather than a sense of honor, drove the leading mages to ostracize their less scrupulous brethren. Many in Human society became embroiled in the growing social unrest, choosing one side or the other.

As with all of the great social dilemmas in Istaria, war ensued. Those who favored the forbidden practices of magic were outnumbered from the start, but managed to flee Human lands when the war pressed on. In order to secure a future for themselves, they chose subservience to a new Istarian deity, earning her guidance and protection. Such fiendish actions certainly earned the name given to them by the Humans and adopted by themselves, but the new Fiend civilization vowed to never be restrained by the shackles of what they considered to be the weaknesses of morality. In turn, they swore to teach the descendents of those who has ostracized them a lesson on, as the Fiends call it, "the virtues of revenge". Were it not for the Lament and the rise of the Withered Aegis, who is to say what would have happened between the Humans and Fiends. For now however, though animosity between the two races remains present, there is the understood need for cooperation between them... at least, for as long as the Withered Aegis remains a threat to all of the Living Races.
    100 Warrior |100 Guardian |100 Healer
    Unity [former Ice]

wich one would you pick ?

Default Re: History

Found a more detailed text after some more digging [:O]

Age of the Sorcerer

The Age of the Sorcerer is named after the dark sorcerer Torrin Macalir. Maclir, a patron of the dark arts was at one point the leader of the Human intelligentsia and the foremost magical practitioner in Istaria. Then through his experimentation with necromancy he became corrupted and twisted into the evil leader of the Withered Aegis. His ascension to power went greatly unnoticed for sometime due to the petty feuds between the living races of Istaria. During this time Istaria was a hotbed of tension.

The Elves and Dryads sought total communion with nature, and were on the verge of waging war of cleansing against their life-long rivals, the Orcs and Goblins. The Dragons of both factions began to ally themselves with opposite sides of this conflict, hoping to use other races to settle centuries old disputes amongst themselves. The odd Welger sought to expand their influence against the control of Dwarven and Gnomish held lands. The Satyr found themselves in the unique position to broker both diplomacy and warfare material between the Welger, the Dwarves, and the Gnomes in exchange for more influence in all courts.

Even the Humans were involved in a feud with a race that has become known as the Fiends. Many Istarians forget before the Age of the Sorcerer there was no such race as Fiends. In many accounts we can relate what happened to the Humans during this time period to the Great Schism of the Dragons. Human society emulated that which had been Dragon society at the height of the Age of the Dragon. Humans were at the forefront of almost every major endeavor in Istarian life, and had certainly made many advances in the realm of magical study and practice. With such a leadership position in Istarian life, it became very easy for the Humans to forget the lessons they learned in shaking off the reins of Dragon domination in their life. Some feel that the Humans during this time coveted too much magical power, while others feel that Human society simply became too lax. If we compare what happened during this time period with the Great Schism we can see that actually, the secession of the Fiends from the Human race was in fact, a much darker event.

The creation of the Fiends and their forced removal from Human society says as much about the Human psyche of this time as anything else. Humans sought to unlock some of the greatest secrets of the use of magic ever... powers and concepts that are lost to us even during this day and age. A significant and sizable cadre of mages decided to tap into the powers of Necromancy and Mental Domination in order to achieve the ends they sought. The powers that be during this time balked at the use of hitherto shunned magical practices in order to achieve those ends, though some think that fear, rather than a sense of honor, drove the leading mages to ostracize their less scrupulous brethren. Many in Human society became embroiled in the growing social unrest, choosing one side or the other.

As with all of the great social dilemmas in Istaria, war ensued. Those who favored the forbidden practices of magic were outnumbered from the start, but managed to flee Human lands when the war pressed on. In order to secure a future for themselves, they chose subservience to a new Istarian deity, earning her guidance and protection. Such fiendish actions certainly earned the name given to them by the Humans and adopted by themselves, but the new Fiend civilization vowed to never be restrained by the shackles of what they considered to be the weaknesses of morality. In turn, they swore to teach the descendants of those who had ostracized them a lesson on, as the Fiends call it, "the virtues of revenge."

The Fiends went on to create the city of Kirasanct to the frigid north. The city is a testament to the Fiendish desires of seclusion from outsiders, while displaying their ostentatious sensibilities. Kirasanct is a walled fortress of metal and stone, with a massive central tower in the heart of the city. Spindly frames circle the city wall, giving the city a fearsome silhouette at a distance. Kirasanct proper lies on a plateau in the center of a vast valley, allowing for a significant distance around the city to be surveyed from the central tower and the high, arching walls of the city. It is clear that the purpose behind the city is to keep unwelcome visitors out, and considering the Fiends for who they are, that means just about all the other Living Races. Even today, when cooperation amongst the Living Races is at a virtual pinnacle, Kirasanct remains an inhospitable place for those save the Fiends.

It is said that either under the icy bedrock of Kirasanct, or perhaps in a nearby cavern, lays a dormant portal to the Realm of Twilight. It is rumored that before the onset of the Lament, the Fiends were actively trying to re-engage the portal, creating a gateway between the Prime and the Realm of Twilight, where it is said that the Fiend's patron deity, Niatha Moraven, dwells. The Fiends have never made a secret of their desire to strengthen the connection they have with their chosen goddess; in fact, the Fiends chose to found Kirasanct over a source of potent magical essence in the hopes that it would fuel their rituals and sorceries to achieve said goals.

With all these events weighing heavily on the minds of Istarians the actions of Maclir were largely unnoticed. How much harm could a lunatic necromancer cause? Only when it was too late did the races of Istaria realize that it was not flesh and blood that would be their downfall, but the twisted forces of undeath itself. How foolish we were, but we only realize this in hindsight now.

It was at the end of the Age of the Sorcerer when Maclir united the different sects of undead in the common goal of destroying the Living. Maclir held a firm grasp on the Withered Aegis, and through his leadership they began their march over Istaria.
    100 Warrior |100 Guardian |100 Healer
    Unity [former Ice]

wich one would you pick ?

I cant believe ive never seen this post before. You did a great job in the telling. I for one appreciate it. It helps explain some of the dreams ive been having. ... .. oh wait .. nm sorry thats somethin else. Peace out my fellow fiend and lemme know if you dig up anything else. [Y]

woah awesome stuff! I had no clue this stuff was even created.. the stories I mean. Good job diggin through stuff and showin it to us. Kinda like my dog fido, before he got hit by a ... nvm. laters fiendish pals n chaps!

Quote Originally Posted by Letum
    woah awesome stuff! I had no clue this stuff was even created.. the stories I mean. Good job diggin through stuff and showin it to us. Kinda like my dog fido, before he got hit by a ... nvm. laters fiendish pals n chaps!

Holy Shnikees you replied to that a long time ago! lol I dont think this thread should be fergotten .. i thought it was a good story also.

I know it's been many years since this thread has been posted in, but I've got to reply.

It was a great read. Very interesting and enlightening. I had no idea where the fiends came from, or anything about them for that matter, until after this. Because of this, my scope of understanding of Istaria and it's many wonders has expanded a lot. Thank you.

I also think this thread shouldn't be forgotten, and I believe it should be read by everyone. Maybe my reply to this will encourage someone who hasn't read it before to give it a look?

Thread Information