Thread: Socketed Cargo Disk and Cargo Crystals

Default Socketed Cargo Disk and Cargo Crystals

Soon, we will have silos able to hold at least 22'000 units of bulk. However, transporting ressources TO those silos is going to take an eternity, with the low capacity a player can carry.

Cargo disk can carry a lot of ressources, but they can't be use to transport ressource over high distances. We can't recall, and we can't use portal when we use our disk.

What I would suggest are 2 things.

Create a new socket type, Cargo Socket. Those socket can only go on Cargo Disk or certains piece of a Cargo Armor. Those socket would only accept Cargo Crystal.

Then, we introduce Cargo Crystals. Those crystals would be tiered and would come in 3 flavors.

Cargo Crystal of Speed:
    Socketable:
    * Cargo Disk
    * Cargo Boot
    Increase the Max Speed of a Cargo Disk by 8,12,16,20,24 per Tier.
    Increase the Max Speed of a player by 4,6,8,10,12 per Tier.

Cargo Crystal of Teleportation:
    Socketable:
    * Cargo Disk
    Allow a cargo Disk to use a teleporter, if a crystal of the same tier of the disk is inserted.
    However, it doesn't come cheap, as the max speed of the disk is decreased by 4,6,8,10,12 per Tier.

Cargo Crystal of Recalling:
    Socketable:
    * Cargo Disk
    Allow a cargo Disk to be recalled along the gifted, if a crystal of the same tier of the disk is inserted.
    However, it doesn't come cheap, as the max speed of the disk is decreased by 4,6,8,10,12 per Tier.

As you can see, you can't have everything, unless you manage to reach level 80+. You either get teleportation or recalling capability at a cost of speed. A Journeyman Disk with recalling and Teleporting would be a lot slower than a Journeyman Disk with a Speed and Recalling.

As for the Lore?
    Jorasix the Helians, in a quest of self enlightment, decided to work with a gnome, Nemine, rather than eat him as a test of Will. Together, using Gnomish Tinkery and Dragon Magic, created a new line of Cargo Disk tinkering, one usable by both Dragons and the Naka-Duskaels. Using Gnome made Cargo Disk, altered to hold Dragon forged Crystal, they were able to atune a Disk with the energy of the portal and the ability of the Gifted to bind to shrines. Using dragon flight magic, they also managed to create a crystal that allowed disk to move faster in mid-air.

Dragon Lairs: Istaria's ghetto

Default Re: Socketed Cargo Disk and Cargo Crystals

Hmm dunno how to feel about this.. but another suggestion. Cargo discs does hover above ground, if you jump so does the discs.. so maybe dragons should be able to fly with the disc but of course it is still as heavy so it should slow flight speed the same as it limits land speed.

But the way i see it cargo discs have gotten bigger recently.. new types of discs and all that, and a silo should not be fast to fill.. have you ever looked at a silo IRL maybe you should take a shovel and try to fill it.. se how *fast* it will be [:P]

Another thing i would much rater see is less running while crafting.. lessen the need to run back to town for making goods.. put back some machines near the resources !!
    100 Warrior |100 Guardian |100 Healer
    Unity [former Ice]

wich one would you pick ?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarius
    But the way i see it cargo discs have gotten bigger recently.. new types of discs and all that, and a silo should not be fast to fill.. have you ever looked at a silo IRL maybe you should take a shovel and try to fill it.. se how *fast* it will be [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]
    I actually looked at Silo IRL. Our summer house is in the country ;).
    When you want to fill a grain silo, you usually have a truck filled the grain, and you use another machine (sometime an infinite screw, a convoyor, etc.) to fill the silo. I have yet to see a farmer fill a 100 feet tall silo with a showel.

In this case, the 'truck' is our cargo disk. Except, that we can't carry them back to our silo for the majority of the plot.

Thalak

I like this idea, dont know how the teleporting can work with the current engine, but the idea that their could be sockets with other types of crystals for cargo use would really extend the function of plain jane cargo disc.

I actually looked at Silo IRL. Our summer house is in the country [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img].
    When you want to fill a grain silo, you usually have a truck filled the grain, and you use another machine (sometime an infinite screw, a convoyor, etc.) to fill the silo. I have yet to see a farmer fill a 100 feet tall silo with a showel.
    Just choose the shovel cause, we are mining ore by hand.. its not like we have some mining machinery.. or have tractors for getting weat and other seeds.
    100 Warrior |100 Guardian |100 Healer
    Unity [former Ice]

wich one would you pick ?

gopher65

As I understood it, the new crystals will include "increase bulk capacity" tool crystals (for player capacity). Not quite what you are asking for, but similar.

imported_Silveron

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoniade
    Cargo Crystal of Teleportation:
    Socketable:
    * Cargo Disk
    Allow a cargo Disk to use a teleporter, if a crystal of the same tier of the disk is inserted.

Cargo Crystal of Recalling:
    Socketable:
    * Cargo Disk
    Allow a cargo Disk to be recalled along the gifted, if a crystal of the same tier of the disk is inserted.
    I think this needs 2 things to work.
    - Charges on the Crystals:
    Creates a continuing market and associated cost for usage.

- One way sockets:
    Youinserta Recall or Portal Crystal and thats what you are stuck with for the life of the disk or until the charges run out.Then after x ports/recalls the crystaldecays offbut the effect is renewableby inserting afresh crystal.

-Silveron/Argentum of Order

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    gopher65[/b]]

As I understood it, the new crystals will include "increase bulk capacity" tool crystals (for player capacity). Not quite what you are asking for, but similar.
    I had that one in mind too, but forgot too add it to the list. Thank Gopher.
    Socketing a Bulk Crystal to a Cargo Disk or a Tunic would be great too.

Quote Originally Posted by Silveron
    I think this needs 2 things to work.
    - Charges on the Crystals:
    Creates a continuing market and associated cost for usage.

- One way sockets:
    Youinserta Recall or Portal Crystal and thats what you are stuck with for the life of the disk or until the charges run out.Then after x ports/recalls the crystaldecays offbut the effect is renewableby inserting afresh crystal.

-Silveron/Argentum of Order
    Good Idea. I didn't thought about decaying. That would allow the crystal crafter to keep working, even after everyone has their first crystal.

Yeah, having the crystal's stuck would be the only way.

When running, insert running crystal.
    When porting insert porting crystal, remove on other side, insert running crystal.
    Really no penalty.

Then again, why not make some new forms.
    The Nemine disk.
    This disk can be ported. It would have less space then a compact for the same level and be slightly slower. But could be ported. Dragons can also fly slowly with it (so give it a velocity limitation).

This avoids the problem of having to make crystals, introduce 3 new forms (one for each level), and the crystal addition/removal problem is gone.

Should be a bit simpler then adding crystals to disks.

About cargo gear. Allow socketing, and make speed/velocity crystals?

-Digit Dryad
    Chaos

Porting to a "grounded" disk using the right-click menu could work since the disk would have a location associated with it.

The port would need some extra code to prevent you from ending up inside an object since the disk can reside in an object.

Crystals, a new porting disk, or even a new tech for disks could be used.

Charges are a good idea and there is code for charges(Sunscopes) so the code can be reused.

Thread Information