Thread: Dryad Wings

q32x

Default Dryad Wings

As a dryad, it seems odd that i can'tfly over water, and fly over cliffs creatures without wings would have troubles crossing.
    Do the dryads have a growth thing like the dragons?
    If not, are there any plans to make a dryads wings more usefull? My suggestion would be limit them to someting like 5meters of the ground and let them fly over water (perhaps only for a specified amount of time). I don't know much about what can and can't be done as far as game mechanics go, but i see dragons fly around and my keymap has an Up/Jump key and a Down/crouch key, as a winged creature i would like to use the up and down bits.
    Question recap:

Can dryads ever really fly?
    Will dryads ever be able to fly?
    Please let my wings work? [:)]

Tyoka

Default Re: Dryad Wings

I think we should be able to hover of water too. However, I don't think we shouldbe able to fly, simply because if we're going by logic, we should have like...10HP max, and do 1-2hp damage with any given weapon. Granted, I wouldn't mind that either, if we could fly we could stay out of harm usually except for ranged attacks, which would make mage and cleric jobs interesting, but that's a lot of changing to be done, so we should just accept our inability to fly with the illogical physical power we have xP.

However, again, hovering over water would be fair I think. And maaaybe a few seconds of hovering after jumping off a cliff? Or atleast a more powerful(and more animated) jump? Doesn't matter either way though.

Lightbulb

Many have asked why Dryads cannot fly as Dragons do in terms of height and over water. To those that have quested thusly, I offer this explanation.

It becomes necessary to understand the true purpose of a Dryad’s wings. It is not to fly, nor cause movement of air or create lift, but to generate magic. The most magical thing about them is the wings and why they are able to “dazzle� some into a stupor with them.

Istarian stone is also magical. Stone is the basis behind spell shards for this reason. The magic created by Dryad wings and the inherent property of Istarian stone react in a way similar to opposing magnetic fields, that is, they repel. As long as a Dryad’s wings flutter, a magical “balancing act� takes place, keeping their tiny bodies a few feet away from the stone.

Since the inherent properties of Istarian stone are a part of the force that keeps a Dryad hovering, water will not support them. You can test this theory. A Dryad will not be able to touch the bottom of a water-filled area until death, when the wings stop moving. The stone at the bottom of the water “balances� their wing magic as any other Istarian stone does.
    Flsssssh Rsssssst
    The appointed "Rhyming Rhapsodizer" of Blight
    Former Guild Leader of Blight's Conclave of Shadows

Actually its a lore point acording to lore dryads currently do not have the powers they once had they were severly weakend by being safely locked away for so long, That being said perhaps someday they will regain their full powers what they are is unknown to us beyond a few obscure bits of lore according to some lore they will save istaria from the blight. To do s means that they have to have a lot more power then they currently do
    Given enough time and the proper temperament anything doable in game is possible
    Confectioner first last and always

Vorenus

I guess an even bigger question is, can Dragons attack while flying?
    As a dragon you have a very limited skill set but one of the great things is flight!

I believe that if a dryad could fly like a dragon and still use all the diversity of the other schools then everyone would be a dryad since it would be extremly overpowered.

Oh - dryads might be able to hover over water(or in the water) if they implement swiming for the other races.
    Last edited by Vorenus; June 7th, 2006 at 06:09 PM.

I would love to see a little bit more racial diversification for all the races. If not allowing Dryads to fly, it would be nice if they could hover at jump height.

I honestly think that the only reason why dryads were made on this earth with wings is because of travel, just think if those little legs had to walk everywhere! it would take over halve of the time of normal naka's!
    I am Senar Nogard, on Chaos Shard and is a level 12 Dragon check me out!

I am looking for an adult dragon to take me under thier wing for a bit on Istaria, if you are interested, pm me

Quote Originally Posted by Vorenus
    I guess an even bigger question is, can Dragons attack while flying?
    If that wasn't a rhetorical question I'll give you the answer.

Dragons cannot attack while flying. In fact they can't do much of anything. They can't use any skills or spells including self buffs. Nor can they recall. All the things I can think of offhand which they can do while flying is organise their inventory, hoard stuff, equip/unequip scales (I THINK so anyway, been awhile since I tried), or log out. Oh yes, you can activate a portal or talk to an NPC (if in range) while flying.

Other then that, flying in HZ is transportation and nothing more.

I think they aren't allowed to attack while flying because it would allow them to kill things with impunity and I agree. Presumably if dryads had flight they'd have the same limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by q32x
    As a dryad, it seems odd that i can'tfly over water, and fly over cliffs creatures without wings would have troubles crossing.
    Do the dryads have a growth thing like the dragons?
    If not, are there any plans to make a dryads wings more usefull? My suggestion would be limit them to someting like 5meters of the ground and let them fly over water (perhaps only for a specified amount of time). I don't know much about what can and can't be done as far as game mechanics go, but i see dragons fly around and my keymap has an Up/Jump key and a Down/crouch key, as a winged creature i would like to use the up and down bits.
    Question recap:

Can dryads ever really fly?
    Will dryads ever be able to fly?
    Please let my wings work? []
    I am sorry but the Dragons feel that if any other race is allowed to fly like them, they must also have all biped abilities. What they fail to understand is that there isn't much left to give them these days. The fact remains that there is nothing dragons like more than eating hoard and fireworks except for gloating and feeling special.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarran of Chaos
    I am sorry but the Dragons feel that if any other race is allowed to fly like them, they must also have all biped abilities. What they fail to understand is that there isn't much left to give them these days. The fact remains that there is nothing dragons like more than eating hoard and fireworks except for gloating and feeling special.
    bull*cough* Sorry had something there in my throat. On to the subject at had. AS I dargon I have not problem with Bipeds having flight. Yes it should be limited in hight to less then adults but give Dryads up to oh I don't know 1000 units. That will let them fly at least at tree top levels and still leaves dragons places they can go that drayads would not be able to.

And no I do not need or want any thing for giving such a "privilage" as you seem to think it is. Oh I do not gloat but I do feel special but then if you were me you would feel special also. As I am just a special kind of guy.

Must be a chunk of hoard stuck in your throat. I know how you feel... its hard to find a mob that doesnt have two or more pieces of hoard on its corpse.

I thought the official reasoning from AE, and then TG later was that dryads could "hover" over the land and that was it because to go as high as dragons could or across the ocean they'd have to deal with very turbulent winds. This meaning.... they'd be tossed about and knocked out of the sky anyhow. I think it's good reasoning, that's just me. They have little insect wings that are fragile and not sturdy built like a dragon's.

As to the issue of if you should allow them to fly or not. I personally said no a long time ago. Reason being, we dragons were absolutely utterly useless for world projects. The only saving grace we had to be helpful was the fact that we could fly across oceans and over mountains making the transportation of resources easy. I enjoyed /finally/ having a place in the community. I enjoyed /finally/ being needed for something where before there was absolutely no need for my help. I didn't even make a good cargo hauler because bipeds with cargo armor still beat us in cargo space. [imagine that?]

Now... I'd still say no, I think because I like having it and I had to sweat blood and tears just to /get/ it. I waited months for RoP to be done just to even DO the quest to finally get that ability. That's all RoP was really good for to me at least. Yes there was a small bonus but the BIG reason to do it was flight.

The only way I'd agree to dryads getting flight [and please remember, this is just me.. I have absolutely no sway in decisions of course..... that's up to EI now] would be removing their dazzle ability and instead give them a button that allows flight for a short period of time. A button that opperates much like the Saris extra "sprint" button. When pushed, they'd have 30 seconds of flying to get up hills or mountains... To skitter across a bay, whatever or what have you. I don't think they should have permanent flight like the dragons. Even if it's just "at tree hight"

Here's why I wouldn't say tree hight. Honestly that's all you need if flight mechanics from dragons stay the same, to climb the highest mountains. If there was a mountain I couldn't fly over, I went up to it and it didn't matter how steep it was but I could scale it by just pressing against the wall =/ So essentially at tree hight they'd still have all the dragon versatility for transportation.

Just the thoughts here, nothing more. Not trying to be mean, just trying to give you this ones side of the coin. And I'm not going to be angry either way, because I can still play, I'm still scaley, and I still have fun =)

Chioxin, how many places can you name that flying insects and their tiny wings havent found thier way to?

Thanks now can we help dryad flight just a lil more please.

I was giving AE's and TG's response to it... and i'm sure they don't "fly" across oceans. They got to the galapagose [sp] by riding masses of sea moss or some such. And luckily weren't eaten.

Second, I gave an idea too. A button much like the saris way of things. I'm for limited flight in that sense.

I just don't feel it's right. Something that's significantly smaller than a dragon who, with cargo gear, can carry far more than a dragon can even with the highest scale pack and dimensional pocket quest, take my place?

Again I point out that I was being somewhat compromising... Give them a button so they can burst up the side of a mountain if they need to just like the Saris... who can have an extra burst of sprint to do with as they want or need.

This is all speculation of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarran of Chaos
    I'd suggest you ignore this dragon-basher. He's become quite the troll. I don't even know where he gets his information, but it does seem he likes to stereotype.
    Ryushu Suisen, Tathar Nuar, and PhoenixStar, Guildmaster of the Construction Crew
    Check out our wares!

Quote Originally Posted by Tathar
    I'd suggest you ignore this dragon-basher. He's become quite the troll. I don't even know where he gets his information, but it does seem he likes to stereotype.
    Yea. I stopped reading his posts awhile ago.

Some people just have to have someone to hate.

Thumbs up Re: Dryad Wings

Why give just Drayds flying ablitys all races were going to get them at first.

Then again Dragons were going to get to go to all the normal schools as well.
    Nothing But Love! That's what makes Dragons Fly!

I don't know about flight as dragons have it, but it seems to me that dryads really should have an unusual racial ability as far as crossing terrain, just because they never have to touch the ground. The ability to climb mountains where oher races cant and traverse water I think make sense. If you wanted to take it further, limited hight flight similar to dragons. I never really did like the magical explanations for things like this, only reason magical explanations are nessisary is because no one has been able or had the time to figure out how to make these "more logical" capabilities happen.

* snuffles curiously*
    [Visit The Order Underground]

Hmm.. well, running the risk of being soaked in kerosene, then gasoline, then dipped in firecrackers and burned at the stake.. I created a suggestion thread from this.

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=19100

Well.. that's the fastest I've been blown out of the water by a dev so far..

But we tried, hehe.

(nothing negative, the dev said it was a balancing issue and moths.. I mean dryads would not be getting any kind of fly or jump ability as per their decision at inception of the race)

Thread Information