Thread: Rant section or not?

Isabela

Default Rant section or not?

I was reading the other thread on this and wanted to post what I think about it after the Tazoon experiences ( i was Rastaah on there, pretty new player).

I think that having a "strong opinions" folder is needed and a good idea.

HOWEVER,

Id like to see itNOT deteriorate into "Horizons sucks, Horizons is going to fail, HZ is going out when WOW comes out blah blah blah". (i play wow beta btw)

Its not that those things dont have to be said, but they can be said other places and between ourselves if we feel it not where new people come to read and all they see is bad stuff about the game.

It would be good to have a folder where you can make suggestions, give your strong opinions about improvements needed and even a farewell folder for those who are sick of it . But just seems counterproductive and counter success creating for HZ to have a forum where people just bash and bash and whine and whine about the game, the producer and the dev's. Im not saying quelch everyones voice, im saying really limit the stuff that harms the game as a whole.

I think David Bowman has probably just about heard enough crap to last him a while , how about cutting out that part of the rants forum? (if i hear one more thing like hes a liar a cheat blah blah im going to scream, i dont want to hear it . If he is, if he isnt, I dont want to keep reading it and hearing it, dont play if you dont like him?)

Im frankly, sick of it. And that is my rant from what I found on Tazoom forums which by the way If I could help him out I sure would, it was agood forum as well.

~Isabela~

Syn

Default Re: Rant section or not?

I think a 'Rants' forum serves a purpose. Each person can judge the value of content and sometimes the Rants are humorous and other times they have a very specific and clear meaning that some people do want to hear.

It puts all of *that* material into one area and if anyone does not want to view it, it is away from the general information forums.

As to new players, I think they deserve a well-balanced view of the game.Not just the 'good' parts and not just the 'bad' parts, but both sides so they can make a more reasonable decision before investing their time and/or money.

If there is little to talk bad about, little bad will be said.

Isabela

I agree to some degree Syn, but if this site is going to be supported by AE I would not count on it being allowed here.

Yes rants are ok if they are pertaining to the game i.e. "I hate the new <insert thing here> please get rid of it or ill leave". Those type fine. Saying Customer service is really bad right now and explaining why would be good too. Just talking about the blatant flames against HZ.

I really dont want to read the drivel about AE, Dave Bowman etc. As a new player, trust me, I get a good view of what the game is about by playing it. And my opinions are NOT all good. I could give AE a list that would boggle their mind on what Id do to fix it and bring back players.

I am more than willing to donate via paypal to get Tazoon back up so not like I didnt like it. Just saying, if this is AE supported forum its not the place for trying to take HZ down. I do think Dangit, that you need to not be so heavy handed with your lock down button though :P Sorry, just an observation. Not agreeing with someone should not constitute a lock on the subject. And that is as mature as I can put it after reading some stuff that got locked too fast and too heavy handed.

Good luck :)
    ~Isabela~

Syn

I think the moderators can control the outright 'hate' posts and personal attacks. That is covered in the terms and conditions.

One of the values I see in a Rants section is to let otherwise happy players blow off steam and commiserate about things that occur. I have seen any number of people post in various Rant sections that say 'I feel better just gettng that off my chest' ...

To have a Rants doesn't mean *anything goes*.

Like others, I think a rants forum serves the purpose of allowing folks to vent and commiserate. I do not think personal attacks against players or anyone else belong in any game forum. I dislike company forums, they're often a lot like those collections of testemonials sent out under the guise of magazine or newspapers. Only good things, things that meet "big brother's" approval are allowed. I hope a rants forum is instated with prohibitions against personal attacks.
    Anyone who doesn't want to read the forum, doesn't have to. Those who have issues can find others of like mind to discuss them with.

Ilsefa WeeWolf - from Life to Chaos
    miner, fitter, tinker and more
    Bad-attitude gmone
    http://www.webfitz.com/lyrics/Lyrics/1973/91973.html

theurgist

Sorry Akuma, not quite right. There aren't personal attacks that get cheered on. There is banter between friends. I'm sorry you can't tell the difference. If there ever is any personal attacks it's simply a case of PMing a mod there and they will sort out the situation, assuming they hadn't spotted it on their own.

As fora Rants section here, one thing I would suggest is to only move rants toit if they START as rants. If any thread is gettin derailed or ranted in, please god don't just move it into rants. That opens up a can of worms with saying people rant in threads to get them moved to rants. Rather remove the offending replies, replacingwith amessageto read the forum rules etc. Heck, or even a PM

[Edit: Incidentally Akuma, I feel thatimplying that people who frequent Rantsrefugees cannot play nice is unfair. In a sense it is a personal attack on the entire userbase there, hehe. Most of the posters there have a good track record for 'playing nice', even if we do get to.. let our hair down there. Sure, some aren't, but I'm sure Dangit will sort them out in short order.]

[2nd Edit: Bah, I was playing with the edit notes, and realised it's not visible on when posted. Trying to work out a use for it]

theurgist

Ok fine, they're less than complimentary. But they're upset and confused over this whole AE debacle. I personally can't blame them for letting it out a bit. Rather that than let it fester and eventually explode turning said poster into a vitriol spewing rabid slamboy. Rather it happen there than on official boards.

I'm not sure what they've got about Peaches. I'm personally a tad surprised to see her as a Mod, but I'm quite happy to give her enough chance to prove she can mod effectively.

[Edit: Sorry about referring to you as Akuma. Not sure how I managed that]

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua
    I am not Akuma. That is someone on RantsRefugees.

Personal attacks aren't cheered on?

Right after Tonic's post in the "Tazoon dead" forum you have Paladin whom has a mouth worse than a sailor and uses vulgarity with the prowess of any 12 year old. Oh and then lets not forget Arsovrteakettl whom is SO offended at my signature yet spouts just as much language. Gee, what happened to the "Teen" Ratings now? And then SLayven....

The list goes on and that's only in one thread. Don't give me the line about personal attacks not cheered on.

Defend your home, but don't lie about it.

As for how to handle normal threads that are being derailed. I agree. Much better to post. "Stop derailing. Any further and your posts get moderated/you get warned/banned." and let the thread continue.

No, implying that people who frequent Rantsrefugees cannot play fair isn't a personal attack. It's a generalization based on an observation. All you need to do is to look at that one simple post to see the where I'm coming from.

I mean, look what they said about Peaches when she became a moderator. I don't think I've ever seen Peaches warrant the absolute hate that the members at RantsRefugees spew.
    Actually Kumu, I frequentRR and have great fun there- can you honestly say I can't conduct myself in a fair manner. :P

I doubt you would say that, of all people.

But at least you admit itsa generalization, its a stereotype. :)

But let's keep this on topic, this isn't about "you vs. RR". This is about a rant forum here. Nothing to to with RR. So let's stop before we get locked..please! Take it to PMs. Or actually post on RR *shrug*.

But yes, we need a Rant Forum. Now if you would all trot over tot he Suggestion forum and see the thread I started there on this topic - which would make it 'on topic" in the suggestion forum - and sign it, so we can get one :).

a rant forum... I suppose... but would have to be heavily moderated an no personal attacks or cross posting into the other portions of the forums. Means some poor schmuck will have to sit here and be the forum police instead of playing.... sucks to be them :P

I'm for a rants section so that it could serve a place to move the flames, trawls, and personal attacks.

Poor substitute for the lamented li'l green button, but I'd take it.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Thread Information