Thread: Should Disciples become Hybrids

Default Should Disciples become Hybrids

Would the Disciple schools benefit from requiring xyz magic skill in order to join? Would you Prefer to see Disciples made into hybrids?

What changes to stats do you think would need to occur if this were to happen?

I see that we would need a lesser magic skill gain per level. Perhaps we could get that missing 1 pt of unarmed in trade.

Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

Default Re: Should Disciples become Hybrids

:) Hehe... we are opening a can of worms. Maybe they'll still be "Fresh and wrrrrriiggglin" when rebalance comes around.

It is both a unique benefit AND a huge detriment not requireing the base casting ability. It lets us take Disciple faster, but yet the spells are completely useless initially. It'd be like a level 1 fresh off the Island trying to tackle a tier II mob (we start with 10 skill at level 20). They just won't land. All switching to disciple gets you for the first 30 levels or so is the Fist buff and a way to pull. ;) ... 50 was my 'magic' number possibly because I was up in my 60's as an enchanter around then, so your milage may vary (all my spells were teched for accuracy as well).

If it were a required pre-req, the spells would be more likely to land almost immediately. We could also cast roughly in the same tier of our level. Not at 20 levels under (more like 5 under, but still in the same ballpark). No waiting till 50 or so to be able to land our spells.

I don't think we need a lesser magic skill either. We already take a hit in Unarmed in more than one way, -1 skill/level and the Unarmed Masteries. If we look at the other Hybrids, they have MULTIPLE attack skills. We have unarmed and ONE spell line. Others have multiple Attack skills (1hs and 2hs for instance and shield for that matter), or multiple spell lines (ie Spirit and Blight).

As for our statistics... it's hard, but something should probably done. All stats are 'fixed' between classes, meaning we all get the same number of stat points (I think). We can't be good at everything, but unfortunately since STR dictates damage with melee, our mediocre strength comes nowhere near close to being compensated by a high dex. Likewise having 5 or 6 in power/focus means that we don't do very well on the casting side either. We can't be good at everything, but with such low base strength/focus/power we can't very well pretend to be compentant.

[:|] I have reread this post 4 times...I want to say I LOVE being who I am. I do 'great' now hunting monsters 1 on 1 with all my abilities, but I also have Druid, Healer (all the Tier IV heal/buffs), Fitter (mid 80's currently), Enchanter( also mid 80's), and Mage to get here. In my opinion I think that's a bit of an overkill if I wasn't a generalist to being with. Read: With as many supporting classes as I have I would probably kick butt as ANYTHING.

-HratLi

HratLi SnowPelt : From Bounty to Chaos : Eyes of Istaria
    MultiCrafter, Spirit Disciple, Walking Bleed Attack.
    HratLi's Bucket of Fury : A Saris in cargo gear appears and beats on your foe.
    Damage :
    50-150 Attack Type: Bucket Duration: Until Dispelled Frequency: 0:02

The problem I see with not adjusting our magic skill is assuming we maintain 10 a level and have a 150 requirement that would mean we would only have 50 less magic skill than someone who studied the pure caster form (eg 950 vs 1000 in spirit for sprd vs spiritist).

That and I personally would much prefer 10 unarmed and an increase in str just in general.
    Zodias of Order

Monk Issue List

Ahh... But consider that a Spiritist also gets Blight (though not very used, that's a different problem). I think that we pay 'enough' for a full 10 in spirit with our unarmed and slower Mastery Gains.

We're very much focused on the single spell line and a single mode of attack. Now if we were more 'diversified' like having 2hand crush for instance, in addition to UA, that might be another matter. Spiritists get One hand pierce, 2hc, blight and spirit in varying degrees.

Now the question is, would it be 'fair' to have a decent gain in our melee skill AND Magic skill? As is, I would say that would make us a 'true' hybrid. Many of the other hybrid classes weight their skills more heavily towards either melee or magic (Druid vs Guardian for instance, or Warrior vs Chaos Warrior). Eh, we'll see what happens if/when they get to it. Currently our 10/level is high, and evens out with the pre-req versions of other schools by around level 70-90 or so. With any of the other hybrids, they have the pre-req, but gain slower, but they also don't 'lose' as much in their melee ability as we do, and they have secondary melee abilities as well. So it's all in how useful you view the skill point deficit.

-HratLi

HratLi SnowPelt : From Bounty to Chaos : Eyes of Istaria
    MultiCrafter, Spirit Disciple, Walking Bleed Attack.
    HratLi's Bucket of Fury : A Saris in cargo gear appears and beats on your foe.
    Damage :
    50-150 Attack Type: Bucket Duration: Until Dispelled Frequency: 0:02

I already left Horizon, but I am interested in what is happening in this game. Therefore I would like to add something on this topic.

Imho, in this game you have to stop thinking of the classes. It is now more of a matter of how you use your multiclassed character (which one is main, what class for protection, which for armor, etc ...) than "is the monk class finished or not".

When I left, I understood that nobody (excepts gimps like me as a sprd 100/ shaman 76) was playing a single class and be proud of it.

The people I saw were either paladin+spiritist+mage+healer+fitter (all 100 of course) or battlemage+spiritist+healer or ranger+healer+spiritst etc ...

I think if you want to play as a monk, you should choose a another game.

thanks for reading

I disagree.

I think all classes should be viable as single classes and good for solo as well as able to contribute in a group situation.

At present the disciples are able to contribute in group situations. Flame disciples with their damage shield and bombs, storm disciples with limited croud control, aoe and static aura. Spirit disciples can provide decent healing with self sac and Ice provide some more cc.

None of them excell in those areas but they have the ability to add something to the group and solo it is just not as easy as it may be for other classes.
    Zodias of Order

Monk Issue List

Thread Information