Thread: Environmental Hazards (no, not falling damage)

Default Environmental Hazards (no, not falling damage)

Let's face it: Istaria is a BIG place, and even with the mob spawns, cities, towns, and various structures sprinkled around, it's still a big place.

So, here's an idea. It's a fluff idea, so naturally it goes after all the "show stopping" issues that need to be worked out.

Consider the implementation of static entities that react in a negative way to both mobs and PCs. For lack of a better word for them, I call them Environmental Hazards. When a mob/PC gets within their trigger range, they may or may not activate (each has a probability of firing), releasing some manner of damaging substance that is random in nature (it could be DoT, AoE, etc).

Some examples of a few Hazards:

Lava Bubble: They are found in volcanic zones, and look like a quivering dome of lava. When they fire, they shower the area with flame damage (AoE).

Deathweed: These are in swamps and jungles, and resemble a mutant plant with spore pods floating above on long stalks. When triggered they release a DoT cloud of poison gas.

Butcherstalk: Found in forests and grasslands, they are related to the Deathweed. When triggered, they fire piercing projectiles in all directions (AoE).

Teslacrystal: Found in the arctic zones, they resemble the large crystal formations there, but are distinguished by the dancing electrical discharges that cover their surfaces and jump from crystal to crystal. When triggered they release a directed bolt of lightning at the target, and very large ones release an electrical storm in an AoE discharge.

Corrupted Blightshard: (no offense to those who play on Blight Shard is meant) These look like the crystals found in the blight zones, but detonate (or discharge directly) a bolt of Blight energy.

Edit: Further, Environmental Hazards can be targeted by players. So it is possible to detonate one at distance if they are posing a hazard to free movement through an area. And since they can trigger because of damage, it would be possible to set off a chain reaction in a patch of Hazards by simply causing one to fire.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Default Re: Environmental Hazards (no, not falling damage)

OOOO, that's VICIOUS!

I LOVE it!

Just be careful about putting that butcherstalk on the Isle of Wisp. It's not all that big and we don't want to be killing off all the wisps on one wrong step. Or they'd end up doing it to themselves by meandering aimlessly along, as the balls of light that they are.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Something akin to what you mention would have to be coded as a resource,animal or monster. If you notice, those are the only things other then npcs and buildings that you can interact with. It would be nice to have hazards such as what you mention and to take it even further there could be "caches" of items such as chests. Even items you can interact with that would solve a puzzle or open an area (which would require doors)such as levers, switches, pressure pads that could be added to quests.

The hazards you mention could scatter a resource such as Essence of Blight, perhaps components. Yet you would have to pick that up after and that would entail you to be able to drop something on the ground. HZ is the neastest, cleanest place I have ever adventured in. Nothing EVER drops on the ground unless it is a dead animal or mob.

So I just do not know if it is possible with the present engine.
    Bori Grimbattle --->The Dwarf
    Sinistre Azazael---> The Fiend
    Adramaleck Flerious--->The Dragon

~Mystic Blades~
    ~Jambi,Order~

even with Bori's technical constraints .. Great Idea !!

Very good idea indeed... [Y]

I was also thinking about a few idea's...

For hazzard for arctic or polar regions:
    when walking on a frozen lake create randomly placed cracks which could break and let players really drop through the ice... Causing death if a safe spot isnt reached before the breath bar is empty...

Desert regions:
    Quick sand might make walking through deserts a little more fun... You could walk through them, but the breath bar (to mimic the part in which yousinkin the sand) would again decide if you live or die...

And since the above are mostly focussed on bipeds or hatchlings also a nice one for the adult dragons among us...
    Create a random turbulence in which a flying dragon would simply drop to the ground...
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Ryzom is experimenting with ways to kill crafters with the environment...

I must say that despite an interesting crafting system, Ryzom is not a game I'll play much of - partially due to being blown up too many times while I'm collecting roots or shells or whatever. I have to say I'm not too keen on environmental damage myself.

It might be cool if the effects were non-damaging and long term in nature (Hypothermia in cold places, Heat Exhaustion in hot places, dehydration in dry places) provided that the effects could be relieved by something simple like lighting a campfire, sitting in the shade, or drinking water. If you reach the limits of your endurance (run out of materials to periodically rejuvenate yourself with), you recall automatically as your realize that you cannot survive much longer.

I see lots of potential for massive coding here though.

I think those are great ideas Khoal.

Mushrooms up on Ruxus mountain could release something also.

The Venus Fly trap in Old rachival ( and possibly elsewhere) could attack anyone who gets to close. and if you are under sufficient level kill you.

:)

Thread Information