Thread: AGF -> IGB = world model viewing [and editing?]

Fridlekh

Default AGF -> IGB = world model viewing [and editing?]

If you use Max (5.0) or Maya (4.0) you may be able to edit world models, or make new ones... Even if you don't have max or maya, you can certainly view the models, and get some stats on them. here's some tools and associated stuff you need to do:

1: get the Max or Maya Alchemy Artistpack from here:
    www.intrinsic.com/downloads/eval30079/Alchemy25-ArtistPackMax-030218.exe
    www.intrinsic.com/downloads/eval30079/Alchemy25-ArtistPackMaya-030218.exe

[FYI- The Max install is about half the size of theMaya install for those without the programs.]

2: Install the package, using alchemy4max25 or alchemy4maya25 for the install code, and follow any instructions for getting the plugins working if you want.

3: Add these lines to commands_player.def in Horizons\Resources\

// AGF to IGB
    {
    string name = "agfToIGB"
    string abbrev = "ai"
    string usage = "[agf file name]"
    string description = "Converts world models from AGF to IGB."
    int numParams = 1
    int minParams = 1
    }

// IGB to AGF
    {
    string name = "igbToAGF"
    string abbrev = "ia"
    string usage = "[igb file name]"
    string description = "Converts world models from IGB to AGF."
    int numParams = 1
    int minParams = 1
    }

4: Once ingame, use /agfToIGB ModelName.agf or /ai ModelName.agf to convert to an igb file. You can load this file with insight or finalizer.

5: Delete the files in Horizons\version_info - this will be needed for conversion back to AGF. you can start the game manually by entering your email and pass in Horizons\ClientPrefs.def then saving and running horizons.exe directly.

6: Use /igbToAGF ModelName.igb or /ia ModelName.igb to convert back to the agf format. If you did not do step 5, you'll get a file not found error.

Default Re: AGF -> IGB = world model viewing [and editing?]

The IGB files don't give you any texturing options with the viewer though. Is there any way through fiddling with how the models work to get the .agh textures to apply to an .igb model? There's not a whole lot of potential for custom models if you can't texture anything.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

Does this help at all Hal?

All I see with insight and finalizer is a white object that has then general shape I was expecting to see...what's up with that?

Fridlekh

you actually need max 5 or maya 4 in order to put textures on objects... I believe the textures will be there if you export the object with a texture aplied. I haven't had any luck either to be honest. :)

It's a step in the rightdirection though, and with all the info that finalizer gives, along with the plugins provided for max and maya, it may be possible to reverse engineer the igb format. People looking to make world obkects for the game should bug David to try and get a copy of the agf exporter...

seems that the link for the download is fine but it does nto take you to the registration anymore so yopu cant install the maya version :( any suggestions ?
    Given enough time and the proper temperament anything doable in game is possible
    Confectioner first last and always

Fridlekh

You don't need to register, all that the registration site used to do was give Intrinsic your personal info and give you the password (which I've provided above) on the 'done' page.

Obviously necro'ing this thread super hard.

Using the Internet Archive, did manage to get a copy of the ArtistPack tools, so you can definitely export IGB models if you can find a copy of 3DS Max 5. Bad news is, I've scoured every forum for every game that uses Intrinsic Alchemy that I can find, and all of them either conclude with "no way to import IGB into 3ds max/maya/blender/etc" or "i think [some one, very specific guy] made a plugin/script that imported them, but it wasn't made publically available."

The good news is that with the ArtistPack, you can use the Insight Viewer to take a detailed look at the IGB models, in case someone wanted to recreate.

Also, there is a converter out there that will take .gr2 files and convert them into mesh files that can be imported into 3d Studio Max super quickly - you basically drag the .gr2 file onto the program, and it spits out the mesh.

I post this because I was curious, and have spent about 10 hours over the last few weeks researching this. I've been learning a lot of 3d modeling for my business, and was thinking about re-creating Tazoon in the Unreal Engine, and didn't want to re-invent the wheel if I didn't have to. EDIT: Re-creating Tazoon in Unreal for FUN, practice, and as a neat proof-of-concept.

I'm sure someone with pretty good programming skills could use the Viewer from the ArtistPack to create a converter for the IGB files, but that is far beyond me.

Thread Information